Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Still looking for options to replace the Passat
I am curious if you would consider keeping your Passat if an emissions fix is offered. If not, why? That is the direction I am leaning right now, I am interested in arguments either way.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Of course, there's the very real possibility we'll just end up in a new gas Passat, the problem there being what promises to be lackluster power with the 1.8 TSI, or just take the big gas mileage hit and order a VR6.
Well, if power is what matters...
the performance order goes
VR6 > 1.8TSI > 2.0TDI

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews...agen-passat-tdi-sel-premium-track-tested.html
https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/...olkswagen-passat-tsi-performance-testing.html

TSI 0-60 7.7
TDI 0-60 9.1

TDIs feel fast, because of generous torque at low rpms. This fast feeling while sipping fuel, is why they have devotees.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I am curious if you would consider keeping your Passat if an emissions fix is offered. If not, why? That is the direction I am leaning right now, I am interested in arguments either way.
I cannot think of any conditions under the current settlement to the CAS whereby we'd keep the car.
Here are the elements in my thinking that have convinced us to to the buyback:
1. We bought this car new in July '13, it now has @58K miles on it, so it should have around 80K on it by the end of next year. I've done all the buyback paperwork, and in September will secure a December 2018 date for a turn-in appointment.
2. VW is going to pay us @$27K for the car, only @$2K less than we bought it for.
3. At turn-in, this is going to be a 5 1/2 year old car with significant wear & tear on a number of expensive components. We will buy a brand new car to replace it, although it's an unknown at this time how much more that will cost.
4. This car has been our first diesel. We've really enjoyed it, especially the fuel efficiency, and it's been very little trouble. But the complex and somewhat fragile emissions systems hung onto these CR diesels do not bode well for maintenance expense down the road.
The downsides of doing the buyback are obvious:
1. There will likely be no diesel that is in the size range of the Passat that is not outrageously more expensive (and we will not consider a smaller car, nor an SUV, so things like the ephemeral Mazda CX-5 or Chevy Equinox are right out).
2. Keeping this car as long as we can also carries with it the risk that the car might well be totalled in an accident, in which case we'd probably not realize as much money for it.
3. We will face the additional expense of state sales tax when we buy a new car, which we would not do if we kept it and did the fix.
Given all of the above, we've decided to do the buyback.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
I cannot think of any conditions under the current settlement to the CAS whereby we'd keep the car.
Here are the elements in my thinking that have convinced us to to the buyback:
1. We bought this car new in July '13, it now has @58K miles on it, so it should have around 80K on it by the end of next year. I've done all the buyback paperwork, and in September will secure a December 2018 date for a turn-in appointment.
2. VW is going to pay us @$27K for the car, only @$2K less than we bought it for.
3. At turn-in, this is going to be a 5 1/2 year old car with significant wear & tear on a number of expensive components. We will buy a brand new car to replace it, although it's an unknown at this time how much more that will cost.
4. This car has been our first diesel. We've really enjoyed it, especially the fuel efficiency, and it's been very little trouble. But the complex and somewhat fragile emissions systems hung onto these CR diesels do not bode well for maintenance expense down the road.
The downsides of doing the buyback are obvious:
1. There will likely be no diesel that is in the size range of the Passat that is not outrageously more expensive (and we will not consider a smaller car, nor an SUV, so things like the ephemeral Mazda CX-5 or Chevy Equinox are right out).
2. Keeping this car as long as we can also carries with it the risk that the car might well be totalled in an accident, in which case we'd probably not realize as much money for it.
3. We will face the additional expense of state sales tax when we buy a new car, which we would not do if we kept it and did the fix.
Given all of the above, we've decided to do the buyback.
Have you considered buying one of the new 2015 Passat TDIs that are now for sale? Do the 2 year lease and get $8500 off MSRP, pay off the lease with the buyback money, and then you basically have the same car, but newer and nicer, with a 162,000 mile warranty.

jsm172

TDI
Passat
I looked at 2015 TDI's this weekend

and I just cant bring myself to paying 27k on a "new" car that is two years old. The 5k off just isnt enough incentive for me. I am hoping for the cars in my area to come down on price.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
and I just cant bring myself to paying 27k on a "new" car that is two years old. The 5k off just isnt enough incentive for me. I am hoping for the cars in my area to come down on price.
Don't worry about it. Someone else will buy it. One frustrating thing about looking for TDIs is there's always someone who'll pay more money than you're willing to for any given car.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Don't worry about it. Someone else will buy it. One frustrating thing about looking for TDIs is there's always someone who'll pay more money than you're willing to for any given car.
When I was selling my 2003 Golf GSL (gas), I found the the 2003 diesels were "book valued" at a substantially higher price.

High resale value is a point to factor in at buy time.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Like me. :p I am burning up the phone today. I'm about to move. I found a manual GSW but it's black. Trying to decide if I want to deal with that headache. My GTI is night blue and got dam does it ever get dirty fast. And a stiff breeze can make the paint swirl.

Kenshin

TDI
A3 TDI
Still looking for options to replace the Passat*, not very seriously yet, because we don't plan to do the buyback until the end of next year. A neighbor will be turning in his M-B 350 4-Matic about that time off a 3-year lease; buying the car at that time would be @$40K. I suppose that's not out of line on a car with a $70K sticker, but I can't see that happening with us. That would almost buy a new Volvo s90, or chip in another $10K and get the v90.
Of course, there's the very real possibility we'll just end up in a new gas Passat, the problem there being what promises to be lackluster power with the 1.8 TSI, or just take the big gas mileage hit and order a VR6.

*There have been people who state their intention of replacing a Passat with something more Jetta-sized, and taking that much of a hit in interior space is just not an option for us. The problem with that is that there are no attractive options in a real Passat-equivalent that don't involve way more money.
If you want diesel wagon did you consider the BMW 328D Touring or the Jaguar F-Pace, both are comparable in price to the s90. Also next year Jaguar is releasing the XF asa sports back wagon and a E-Pace(small crossover), hoping both are in diesel in Canada/USA. And I think the X3 should be back in diesel too.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
As the owner of a 2013 passat and I'm considering a 2012 E class diesel. Look at 60k miles and you can find them at about $24k.

I'm also looking at 535d but they are about $30k. With a sizable down you can get lower payments for a nicer and more powerful car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
I have been all over the map on this from eGolf to Jeep Wrangler. LOL

I love the utility and practicality of the JSW TDI, but I was thinking about a GTI even before the scandal hit. I'd love to get a 2017 Sport, but it's a bit too pricey right now. I'll probably get a slightly used S and bite the bullet on fuel to get the improved performance.

Recent happenings have scared me off the plan to drive it for two more years..
I bought a 2017 Wrangler Sahara and I LOVE IT!!!! 19 MPG and you can't wipe the smile off my face, I don't care the Jeep is awesome! This is how you purchase a Wrangler. Join the Wrangler Forum, go to the vendor thread and open Koons of Tyson's Corner (VA/DC). Craig's contact information is right there, he does the internet sales for a group buy. 6% off invoice for Sports and Sahara's and 5% off Rubicon's. It took me 3 weeks from factory order date to delivery. My local dealer would only go 1% below invoice. Get the quote from Craig and then try locally. I drove from Charlotte, NC, well worth the 6 hour drive to Koons. Then go onto Jeep.com and request brochures and updates, Jeep randomly sends out bonus cash or what we call Golden Tickets for $500 or $1,000 off a new vehicle. I was lucky and received a $500 ticket!

When we signed up for the buyback last July I had no idea what I was going to purchase other than an SUV (I missed my little Blazer). As soon as I logged onto the Jeep website I instantly knew I wanted a Wrangler and we went for a test drive and my husband said "I can't undo that" I was ruined. He gave me a budget and I read and researched everything I could to pull it off. We had 2 TDI's and he was getting a Silverado.

It's a Jeep not a car, every time you call a Jeep a car a baby kitten dies. ;)

Last edited:

vmb

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Hopefully a mk4 Golf with an ALH if all goes well. There's a few for sale around here...

PoochiePD

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Tempest Blue Jetta
Took long enough to go through the buyback process that the opportunity to switch to an SUV/Crossover arose. Something we were going to do again eventually.

Ended up with a 2009 Forester XT Limited. Bone stock, 1 owner, 94k miles. Lived in Florida until the turbo blew at 94k miles. A shop replaced the turbo but then was plagued by a constant overboost condition if you got into the throttle too hard. Bought at auction by a small dealership here in WI where it sat for a summer. They couldn't find the cause of the overboosting. They sold it to me for $8k, KBB dealer price was $14k at the time. Found a pink plastic BB lodged in an elbow coming off the turbo housing (the one that supplies boost pressure to the boost control system) so I carefully punched it out and it was gold. 45 minutes of diagnosing and fixing for free just saved me $6000!

Nowhere near as a refined driving experience as my Jetta but can't beat the versatility and the AWD is amazing. I was warned to sell it before the end of summer to avoid expensive fixes down the road but I'm staying on top of maintenance and the oil analysis at 110k came back perfect. Still deciding if I want to keep it or not.
Here it is on one of my many excursions offroad (usually while pulling the trailer) to get wood. Wouldn't think of it even in an Alltrack. 2+ more inches of ground clearance (with the larger tires).

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Took long enough to go through the buyback process that the opportunity to switch to an SUV/Crossover arose. Something we were going to do again eventually.

Ended up with a 2009 Forester XT Limited...

Nice fix/score!

My wife loves her Subaru (replaced the 2012 Touareg which is waiting to go back).

We took it on a 2,000 trip two weeks ago and averaged 34mpg with it. And the AWD system is really good. Not quite like a Land Cruiser with locked diffs, but good!

And even though it is a '17 with only 6,000 miles, it has already gone a LOT farther than the '12 Touareg did without a CEL (the Touareg never made it through an OCI without a CEL).

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Heading to the Chevy dealer to buy a Colorado ZR1 crew this week.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Got a downpayment on an Audi Q3 dealer demo (under 10k kms) with all the bells and whistles. Just waiting for my letter of offer from Rice Krispies.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Turning in my 2011 Jetta on Thursday but already have my next car: A "new" 2015 Jetta TDI! Would not have anything else!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had a rental Mazda 3 for a week on a business trip.

With a bit of uncertainty because you really never know how full the previous renter had filled it ... 42 mpg US. And it is nice to drive.

Worth checking out.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I've been giving some thought to a CPO 328d, maybe a 2014 which next year should cost about the same as what the BB is giving me, i.e., about $22k. I should be able to get one with about 25k miles. Maybe even a 328d wagon, but they're hard to find.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I've been giving some thought to a CPO 328d, maybe a 2014 which next year should cost about the same as what the BB is giving me, i.e., about $22k. I should be able to get one with about 25k miles. Maybe even a 328d wagon, but they're hard to find.
I just got a 328D off lease with 30K miles on it for 31900 this is a highly optioned car though the wagens are more...

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I just got a 328D off lease with 30K miles on it for 31900 this is a highly optioned car though the wagens are more...
What year? Is it CPO?

And how do you like it? And how would you compare it to the Jetta TDI? I've owned three 3 Series BMW's, so I know the car, I'm just asking about BMW's diesel, which I've never driven.

Last edited:

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I've driven both the 328d sedan and wagon. They are very nice cars, inside and out. Driving wise, they are more cushy than my JSW but the engine is less refined, meaning louder with greater vibration, mostly under load. My biggest fear is maintenance and repair cost in BMW-land. That and you can't get a manual transmission :mad:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
. . . but the engine is less refined, meaning louder with greater vibration, mostly under load.
Hmmm . . . I would not have expected that, given that the inline 6 and the 4 cyl engines are super smooth, especially the I-6. When it starts getting close, I'll test drive one or two.

Thank you for the heads up.