ALH TDI 1984 Toyota 4x4, Oh Yeah!

bms707

TDI
'84 yota 4x4 ALH TDI, '03 Jetta wagon(soon to be 6speed)
My brake/clutch pedal switches are all wired, no codes being thrown for them. My coolant glow harness/relays are all there, i just unplugged the heavy gauge wire for them. I plan on reinstalling the coolant glow plugs later on inline with the heater core.

When I start the truck, the glow plug AND MIL are off. After about 30 seconds the GP light starts to flash and the MIL turns on.

Here's a couple pics of my GP harness to clarify..

bms707

TDI
Ok so i got a dakota digital box, (SGI-8 D) Programmed it, hooked it up to my tach and nothing.. I know the box is getting a signal from the ECU since its green light is flashing. One thought is that my tach, since this truck is an '84 sr5 carb, gets a pulsed ground signal. Is the dakota box sending out a pulsed + signal? Could i wire a transistor in to change this + signal to a ground signal? Any help would be great.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Ok so i got a dakota digital box, (SGI-8 D) Programmed it, hooked it up to my tach and nothing.. I know the box is getting a signal from the ECU since its green light is flashing. One thought is that my tach, since this truck is an '84 sr5 carb, gets a pulsed ground signal. Is the dakota box sending out a pulsed + signal? Could i wire a transistor in to change this + signal to a ground signal? Any help would be great.
iirc the dako box has a few different outputs and i've found that sometimes choosing a different output or setting than the instructions call for will get it working

bms707

TDI
Its been a few months guys, But I just wanted to give y'all an update. the truck i running great, the torque is just so good :D it pulls hard uphill, in 5th gear, with 35" mud terrains. Fuel economy is just fantastic too, about 36 mpg combined. I've just had a couple minor issues with the glow plugs (Ecu is being a little *****y), but I'm getting that sorted. Seriously though, Toyota and VW should have collaborated and built these things from the factory:rolleyes:.

Anyways, I'm building a flatbed currently, and working on getting the 4wd working(I still need gears for the front:eek:). I'll post pics in the next day or two.

DualcertK9

TDI
Wanting to TDi swap a 'yota!
I have read this whole build, just awesome. You've done just exactly what I plan on doing. I've got an '85 4Runner 5spd. I have been searching for a good reliable swap to oil burner. I often thought the 1.9TDi wouldn't fill the bill, but I was mistaken. I have 33's and 4:88 gears, I will be pulling an enclosed single axle M/C trailer. I'd guess about 2800lbs or so. In your current state of tune do you believe you could do that without issue and still knock down say 25MPG? I know that you're currently way lighter with no bed, but...

Inspiring build THANK YOU!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I have read this whole build, just awesome. You've done just exactly what I plan on doing. I've got an '85 4Runner 5spd. I have been searching for a good reliable swap to oil burner. I often thought the 1.9TDi wouldn't fill the bill, but I was mistaken. I have 33's and 4:88 gears, I will be pulling an enclosed single axle M/C trailer. I'd guess about 2800lbs or so. In your current state of tune do you believe you could do that without issue and still knock down say 25MPG? I know that you're currently way lighter with no bed, but...

what kind of single axle mc trailer weighs 2800 lbs ? even loaded ? ... i tow occasionally with my taco tdi and it does fine even towed a eurovan recently plus my gearing is not as low as yours, 4:10 with 32's

DualcertK9

TDI
what kind of single axle mc trailer weighs 2800 lbs ? even loaded ? ... i tow occasionally with my taco tdi and it does fine even towed a eurovan recently plus my gearing is not as low as yours, 4:10 with 32's

A trailer that is 15ft long and carries 3 bikes plus gear. Mine has an A/C unit on the roof & a generator on the extended tongue.

Quick math, a 400lb M/C X 3 = 1200lbs. The trailer weighs 800lbs. Gear is give or take 300lbs (depends on if my wife goes or not!!) So I'm sure that 2500 / 2800lbs is a pretty damn good guess.

Last edited:

bms707

TDI

Right on man! I had an '85 runner as well a couple years back. Although, for some stupid reason i sold it :( I totally think you could achieve 30mpg, with the 33's and 4.88's. These little oil burners have gobs of torque, quite a bit more than a 22r. Plus, they sound a lot better :) If you have any specific questions about the swap, feel free to ask!

Also, here's some flatbed pics:

DualcertK9

TDI
Sweet! Also like that Excursion hanging out in the background. I'll be asking questions for sure, I appreciate any forthcoming help!! What RPM are you turning at say 75 on the highway? My plan is to do some trips to our hunting lease which is 250 miles one way, all interstate.

bms707

TDI
Sweet! Also like that Excursion hanging out in the background. I'll be asking questions for sure, I appreciate any forthcoming help!! What RPM are you turning at say 75 on the highway? My plan is to do some trips to our hunting lease which is 250 miles one way, all interstate.
Yup, the excursion is my DD for now, A 2000 with the good old 7.3. I never really go over 65, but at 65 in 5th, the rpms are about 2600. I imagine at 75 it would be somewhere around 2800 ish.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
bms707, what's happened in the last year?

Do you still have the 5-speed and clutch? If so, what kind of shape is it in? What might you want for it?

Last edited: