For those who have Upgraded to the OEM VW NAVI

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
I'm not antagonized or trying to make you not want to post. Sorry if it reads that way. I was just trying to figure out what you were saying. I also figured you'd like to know what I was saying and to clear up why we were looking at the wiring diagram differently.

But I also want to make sure that anyone else reading this knows what we were both saying and that we were talking about two different things.
Brian

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
OK, I just ordered a D version, and will be installing it in my 2003 with high pixel (FIS). All I am getting is the navi unit, so I need the right cables and antenna.
I believe this cable will work:
cable

As far as antennas, is there any advantage other than looks to the OEM triplex vs the addon Bosch/Blaupunkt that sits on or in the dash?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
As far as antennas, is there any advantage other than looks to the OEM triplex vs the addon Bosch/Blaupunkt that sits on or in the dash?
AFAIK The triplex will have the GSM phone, Navi gps and radio jacks while the Bosch underdash antenna is only for the GPS.

If you ever want to connect a hands free kit for a cell phone you would need another antenna.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I know, but in terms of performance, is there any improvement of the OEM triplex vs the add-on? I would think not, but figured I'd ask.

larrs

I know, but in terms of performance, is there any improvement of the OEM triplex vs the add-on? I would think not, but figured I'd ask.
I would think that an antenna mounted on the roof would have a less obstructed view than one mounted on or under the dask or parcel shelf, so better performance. But that's just my opinion, not based on experience. I haven't yet installed mine, planning to do so this Saturday. I have both antennas and if I have time I will install the triplex.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
You're not far from me, we should do this together. What version, and what kind of car are you installing in?

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Aha. Well, let me know if you run into any issues.

penclnck

I have both antennas and if I have time I will install the triplex.
How do you plan to route the GPS cable for the triplex antenna? I did mine over the headliner, but out of the way of the side impact curtain. The one proble to look out of is removing the A pillar trim because it is held in place with a special single use clip. Even with the correct tool and experiance, that dang thing is a PITA to remove. If you are unaware of this, then I'd suggest routing it down low, down the C pillar and under the carpet.

Question- while I don't have my Navi fully installed and this may be my problem, but it doesn't ever know where I am, or what direction I'm really facing. It will show my position on an interstate, but is thinks I'm going sideways. Also, when I enter a location I want to travel to, it doesn't plan a route based on where I'm currently located, but whereever I last did a "manual location" from the settings menu. I don't ever get voice prompts as well. She tells me a route is being planed and will say something like turn right, the right again, but after that, nothing.

I have the GALA signal (pin #3 of the blue plug from the cluster) hooked up to the black plug of the Navi 8 pin plug of the Navi, but nothing is plugged up to the 26 pin connector. Would this be my problem?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I have the GALA signal (pin #3 of the blue plug from the cluster) hooked up to the black plug of the Navi 8 pin plug of the Navi, but nothing is plugged up to the 26 pin connector. Would this be my problem?
Yes, that's the problem. T26/17 is for the reverse signal, and T26/5 is for the speed signal.

I've noticed that if the NAVI CD burn is bad, it will lose the calculated route after it gets calculated.

larrs

I have both antennas and if I have time I will install the triplex.
How do you plan to route the GPS cable for the triplex antenna? I did mine over the headliner, but out of the way of the side impact curtain. The one proble to look out of is removing the A pillar trim because it is held in place with a special single use clip. Even with the correct tool and experiance, that dang thing is a PITA to remove. If you are unaware of this, then I'd suggest routing it down low, down the C pillar and under the carpet.
From the MFD over toward the fuse panel, then under the door sill and up the C pillar and above the headliner to the antenna.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still getting mixed opinions on whether I should be installing a D or a G to work with my high pixel cluster and replacing the double din radio. I am trying to source the cables and antenna from Germany.

If it turns out I can't use the D, it will be available.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
I'm still getting mixed opinions on whether I should be installing a D or a G to work with my high pixel cluster and replacing the double din radio.
To date, no-one has gotten a G to work with a VW high pixel cluster. D works, but you need to run three wires to the cluster from the NAV.

Double-din? AFAIK, you will need some sort of adapter. The plugs on the back of the Nav unit are those used by the single-din. Double-din uses a different plug block.

- hoffer

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
D works, but you need to run three wires to the cluster from the NAV.
Correction Michael, there are two people who have tried installing the MFD D/G-unit into a 2003 Jetta(Dctdiwagon G-unit) and into a 2003 Passat W-8(Dan from Hillside Imports D-unit)

Both used the 3LB method and software coding 23 for the cluster with no communication to the cluster.

We still believe the TMC box is required for a D/G-unit/FIS which will be tested this Saturday.

L

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
The D may work with the cluster. i just went through making the adapter for the doulble din radio. the best way to do it is:\
Buy the pigtail adapter from circuit city..cost is around 12$ this hooks right up to the DD harness

Most nav units off of ebay are sold with the single din plug and play harness. thats good.. what i did was chop off the black connector and the 26 pin adapter. you can them wire the needed wires out and connect the speaker wires.
one othe thing you will need to buy is the brown speaker connecter. i got mine at a junk yard for free. hope this helps. its really easy.

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
Lito, i mentioned this some time ago about the fis. Kennedy says his works with immo 3. is it a hit and miss with immo 3. dan at hillside said it might be the cluster itself. different part numbers. i'm still waiting for my cluster so i can't say from first hand experience.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well,

Kennedy's car(Eric's old Bora) is a bastard Immobilizer III car. It's a 2002 built in late 2001. It had originally come with a SINGLE DIN head unit and NOT the double din's that the 2003 and up guys are trying to deal with.

That's why it worked with the 3LB method. When we looked at Chris' wiring from the Navi to the cluster, we discovered that his car was already wired for the FIS cluster. He had pins in the 20-pin connector at 8, 9 and 10 already going to pins 30, 31 and 32 of the cluster.

L

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
That's why it worked with the 3LB method. When we looked at Chris' wiring from the Navi to the cluster, we discovered that his car was already wired for the FIS cluster. He had pins in the 20-pin connector at 8, 9 and 10 already going to pins 30, 31 and 32 of the cluster.

L
Question? Should pins 30, 31, 32 have any pins in them at all? If they have pins where do they go if not to the Nav/radio wiring?

Wouldn't that be the wiring that brings the FIS info to the cluster from the radio?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Question for Brian:

Did you wire your car following the Bora wiring diagram you posted on this thread or the Passat wiring diagram that Lito posted?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the Passat wiring. Just no TMC.
Brian
So your K-Can-H is going to T32b/8,(from T26/13 on Navi or T12t/3 on the TMC), and K-Can-L is going to T32b/9?, (from T26/26 on Navi or T12t/2 on the TMC),?

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine is a 2003 jetta wagon with high pixel/FIS (846C cluster).
If the radio displays data on the high pixel, wouldn't it make sense that the nav could do the same plug and play? I could be wrong.

I have a D coming today or tomorrow and lars has a G, so if he is amenable I can test them both out. What I don't have is the correct harness for my car - I am trying to source one from Germany but I am still not sure what to get.

Dave_Head

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon, wheat beige
Have you browsed vwnavi.com? Lotsa pics there. I think you'll need the double din harness. There is a great post there specifically for installing into a double din golf/jetta/bora

penclnck

Yep, mine showed up today... Looks pretty easy to wire up. Power, ground, 2 wires for Navi CAN BUS, 2 wires for car's CAN BUS and antenna cables. I will see about rigging up tomarrow after work if I can and see what happens on the drive home.

I also hooked up the GALA wire to the T26/5 today, now the Navi is working!
Get this all done and the next project is to see about fitting a "Jumbo Box" into the glove box, the way some of the Audis do.

Later.