Malone or Kerma

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Can I run a stage 2 and dsg tune for awhile until I can change full exhaust?

Yes you can you need to inform Malone that you will have stock exhaust but keep in mind you will need to buy another tune for exhaust delete kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
$$ for first tune + $$ for DSG tune + $$$$ for delete hardware/installation + $$ for delete tune. Maybe $2500 to $3k+ to get er done. Assuming you aren't making and installing everything yourself. Approaching half the value of the car.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Like what he said above... do it once and save yourself a bunch in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Check with the tuners. There may be a discounted price for the second tune update if done in a short timely manner. Not sure about this though. Still a costly project even if there is a discount for the second tune.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
Can I run a stage 2 and dsg tune for awhile until I can change full exhaust?
I’ve done this. Just ask for both versions of the tune when you buy it. AArodriguez and Malone are great to work with,

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
950 for software plus the hardware to install it and the exhaust.

Yes, we don't charge extra if both tunes are sent up front. If it's requested a year down the road we normally charge 100 for re-tuning plus the price difference between tunes (say you're going from stage 2 to 3 the price difference is 100, so re-tuning would be 200). Custom tuning is all inclusive.

You shouldn't install software that is designed for hardware you don't have, it can cause reliability issues. Whether it's for a bigger turbo, exhaust mods, different injectors on a gasser etc. A 24 psi stage 4 tune would blow up a kp39 or vnt15 pretty quick.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You need more than just the down pipe. The rest of the piping to the back of the car needs to be done too. Sure like I said if you make some or all of it yourself and install yourself you can cut the cost. You can buy the down pipe only and then do the rest yourself. Still costs money though. Still going to cost near $2k or more if you buy the downpipe and do the rest yourself or have a shop do it. Just saying doing this isn't cheap.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
You need more than just the down pipe. The rest of the piping to the back of the car needs to be done too. Sure like I said if you make some or all of it yourself and install yourself you can cut the cost. You can buy the down pipe only and then do the rest yourself. Still costs money though. Still going to cost near $2k or more if you buy the downpipe and do the rest yourself or have a shop do it. Just saying doing this isn't cheap.
You’re still very mistaken. The buzzken downpipe for $500 includes the straight pipe to delete the nox cat, h2s cat, and exhaust flap. The factory system downstream of the exhaust flap does not need to be replaced in order to delete the emissions. The rawtek system you posted for $1200 also includes the entire exhaust system to the bumper, which is unnecessary.

Last edited:

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
Dsg tune $400
Stage 2
(Both versions) $550
Downpipe w/
Full delete $550
Drink beer while
a shop installs
Everything $400
$1900 total
Sell all emissions
at rock bottom
Prices -$250
Total cost $1650

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sure I have been under a CR car before. Just no idea what the Buzzken kit includes as I am not familiar with it. You referenced it as a downpipe only with no other indication as to what was included or how it connected to the existing system. Neither does the link you included.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd hang on to the removed emissions equipment . You never know when state inspections might change, or you may want to sell the car at some point. I'd likely still have my tdi if I hadn't sold off the removed gear.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure I have been under a CR car before. Just no idea what the Buzzken kit includes as I am not familiar with it. You referenced it as a downpipe only with no other indication as to what was included or how it connected to the existing system. Neither does the link you included.
I reread my last post, and didn’t mean to sound like a jerk.
I revised it a little bit.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd hang on to the removed emissions equipment . You never know when state inspections might change, or you may want to sell the car at some point. I'd likely still have my tdi if I hadn't sold off the removed gear.
Once the vw warranty is over with, they’ll probably sell like hotcakes for minimum $500. Right now, there’s not much interest.

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Max wheel HP was about the same with KERMA at 145 and Malone 143 at 3,300 and 3,600 RMP, respectively.
Max wheel torque showed showed higher for KERMA. 273 ft-lbs KERMA to 252 Malone. KERMA max occurred at 2,259 RPM. A bit sooner than Malone at 2,700 RPM.
I know this is an older comment, and hope you don't mind me asking, but... I'm looking into tuning and want to keep my emissions at least until my warranty runs out. (Yes, I know there are risks involved with tuning and voiding warranty even if the tune is removed before warranty work)

Anyway, I understand that the Kerma product actually lessens the soot load significantly. I've seen a member report a dramatic decrease in the distance driven between regens, and far more effective passive regens. That said, I know that Kerma does not support deletes.

Have you happened to notice whether Malone's non-delete tune lessens soot load as well as the Kerma tune? I emailed Malone asking this, but have yeat to hear back (which I don't mean as a criticism... I JUST emailed them, and then saw your comments, so I thought I'd ask you as well)

Thanks!

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
Cscmc1 what time did you end up going with? Thinking of getting the Kerma tune as well.

I know this is an older comment, and hope you don't mind me asking, but... I'm looking into tuning and want to keep my emissions at least until my warranty runs out. (Yes, I know there are risks involved with tuning and voiding warranty even if the tune is removed before warranty work)

Anyway, I understand that the Kerma product actually lessens the soot load significantly. I've seen a member report a dramatic decrease in the distance driven between regens, and far more effective passive regens. That said, I know that Kerma does not support deletes.

Have you happened to notice whether Malone's non-delete tune lessens soot load as well as the Kerma tune? I emailed Malone asking this, but have yeat to hear back (which I don't mean as a criticism... I JUST emailed them, and then saw your comments, so I thought I'd ask you as well)

Thanks!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Cscmc1 what time did you end up going with? Thinking of getting the Kerma tune as well.
If suggest Malone. Not sure where you are in Oregon, but there's an authorized tuner by Malone out in Gresham, Cascade German. That's who I used.

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
If suggest Malone. Not sure where you are in Oregon, but there's an authorized tuner by Malone out in Gresham, Cascade German. That's who I used.
THanks, I sent malone and Cascade and email asking some questions. I’m not looking for more power on a 2014 JSW but better reliability and longevity out of the stock set up i.e. I don’t want to remove or delete anything. Just hoping for a tune to decrease the EGR engagement and soot level in the DPF

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
I've had the Kerma tune installed in my 2013 Golf for about a year. Prior to installing the tune I was experiencing regens about every 200 miles or so of normal driving, 60% city 40% highway. Regens make for bad MPG numbers. With the Kerma tune the regens have been around 300-400 miles between regens, depending on the highway/city ratio driving. The Kerma tune leaves the hardware stock, and they stress that point. I looked into the Malone tune, IMO the downside was there is no way to restore the stock tune other than visiting a Malone dealer. My stock tune resides in the Kerma device and can be reverted back to stock in less than 15 minutes in my carport. Very handy when you need to take the car in for service, which I need to do soon, coming up on the 40k DSG service and will need to have that done before I head south to Arizona for a few weeks this winter.

Since buying a Chevy Bolt (2017) in August I've been using the Golf less for short hauls, and more for longer distances, maybe 20% city 80% highway. My last fillup numbers were 43.9 MPG, best numbers yet with this car. I doubt the stock 'fixed' tune from VW would get anywhere near that MPG mark. My first 3 tanks after buying the Golf were all in the mid 30's. Crappy MPG numbers and nowhere near the MPG VW promised before they got caught cheating. That led me to buy the tune. I don't know how Kerma's tune manages to be more soot-free, I think it's due to the hotter exhaust gases but I'm no expert on how the tune works.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Probably less egr flow. May cause fewer regens, at cost of higher NOx, looks stock, but if you measured it, probably would be out of emissions spec. See it all the time on big rigs where the egr flow becomes excessive from bad sensors and such and it plugs up dpfs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I've had the Kerma tune installed in my 2013 Golf for about a year. Prior to installing the tune I was experiencing regens about every 200 miles or so of normal driving, 60% city 40% highway. Regens make for bad MPG numbers. With the Kerma tune the regens have been around 300-400 miles between regens, depending on the highway/city ratio driving. The Kerma tune leaves the hardware stock, and they stress that point. I looked into the Malone tune, IMO the downside was there is no way to restore the stock tune other than visiting a Malone dealer. My stock tune resides in the Kerma device and can be reverted back to stock in less than 15 minutes in my carport. Very handy when you need to take the car in for service, which I need to do soon, coming up on the 40k DSG service and will need to have that done before I head south to Arizona for a few weeks this winter.

Since buying a Chevy Bolt (2017) in August I've been using the Golf less for short hauls, and more for longer distances, maybe 20% city 80% highway. My last fillup numbers were 43.9 MPG, best numbers yet with this car. I doubt the stock 'fixed' tune from VW would get anywhere near that MPG mark. My first 3 tanks after buying the Golf were all in the mid 30's. Crappy MPG numbers and nowhere near the MPG VW promised before they got caught cheating. That led me to buy the tune. I don't know how Kerma's tune manages to be more soot-free, I think it's due to the hotter exhaust gases but I'm no expert on how the tune works.
Malone tunes also can be stored on a device just like you describe. The original tune too. It can also be flashed back to stock. But even though you put the stock tune back they (VWoA) can still tell it has been flashed, and possible warranty denial for anything.

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
Malone tunes also can be stored on a device just like you describe. The original tune too. It can also be flashed back to stock. But even though you put the stock tune back they (VWoA) can still tell it has been flashed, and possible warranty denial for anything.
IIRC when I was looking into a tune over a year ago. (June?) Malone didn't have their device available. I was ready to buy and Kerma was the main game in town at the time.

The service manager at my dealer would simply look the other way. I told him I was quite unhappy with the MPG being in the mid 30's, and he recommended the Kerma tune if I were otherwise going to be leaving the car stock. He knows that VW killed the power and MPG and is sympathetic. He told me about his Jetta CR TDI mods. I can't recall the details but he replaced exhaust parts with after-market, like the down-pipe, eliminated the DPF, ERG and cat, stuff like that, and of course, a tune on the motor and DSG. It is a Malone tune, but I can't recall the level.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The service manager can't exactly look the other way. The scan tool they use will automatically "call home" and report about the car. VWoA will have the final say on warranty not the SA or mechanic or dealer. Your choice and your gamble on the warranty.

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
The service manager can't exactly look the other way. The scan tool they use will automatically "call home" and report about the car. VWoA will have the final say on warranty not the SA or mechanic or dealer. Your choice and your gamble on the warranty.
If that is the case my warranty is gone. I'm taking the car in for the DSG service in a week from Saturday. I'll revert to the fixed tune and see what happens.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe maybe not. Even though they may see and register the count being wrong they may not say/or do anything right now. But it can always be brought up later too. You may have no trouble at all.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Even though this topic has been beat around the bush, another +1 for Malone. Actually, +8. I own 5 TDIs, my mother owns 3. All of them have Malone tunes. Two of mom's still have the emissions BS intact, and none of mine do. Malone's DSG tune is also super awesome, though I'm trying to sell that car (which leaves me exclusively with triple pedal TDIs). It might take a while for them to email back, but they always do. Malone is busy because they're popular/top shelf.