Electrical demon! Calling all gurus please!

thatguywiththeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 Speed, Package 2
Alright heres the deal
06 jetta TDI pkg 2 140k
Thought i had fixed this issue but with the car sitting for a month waiting for the cam change, now that im driving it i realize i was wrong.

Im fighting with a random trunk light/chime. If it was just the light I could deal but the chime is driving me nuts.

It seems to happen when making a right turn or going over bumps
I have checked and tightened all the connections at the fuse block, as well as checked all fuses. I have disassembled the trunk latch and checked all the microswitches they appear to be functional.

If i get out and grab the roof and shake hard it will also come on.

I believe the problem is not located in the trunk, i disconnected all the wiring to the whole trunk right behind the rear seat and took a test drive, the light/chime still came on?
It is limited to only the trunk, when i pop the trunk via fob or key or button on door it opens and shows open on the MFD, once closed it shows closed.

I removed the drivers side kick panel as well as the covers behind the trunk release.

I have grabbed and tugged, shook and pulled the main wiring loom in the footwell but have not been able to make the light/chime come on.

I am at a complete loss here and frustrated to no end...
Can someone please help me with this issue by either diagnosing the issue or explaining where the door chime is and how to disable it via computer or cutting the signal.

i literally spent my last dime on this car with the camshaft and new tires and desperately need help...

thanks so much

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
sounds like a wire is shorting or the switch itself is bad. there sould be 2 switches. 1 for key and one for the alarm. the alarm swith tell the comp the trunk is open. and it should be on the latch area below not on the lid. not possitive your your model.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That year also had issues with the wiring harness in the drivers door being slightly too short and causing havoc when the wires broke. There are some posts here about it and how to fix, if that is the problem. Might want to check for this.

thatguywiththeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
i thought about the two micro switches but as i stated i unpluged the wiring harness at the rear seats, no tails,brakes,reverse, plate lights, trunk power ect. even with this unplugged the problem still occurres. so to me it seems as though its located between the batt and the rear seat and not in the trunk right?

I know prior to purchasing the car it had some repairs done on the drivers side door wiring loom. All appears to be correct and making good contact there as well...

does anyone know where the chime is located? behind the fuse box?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Put the new updated trunk latch in it first. Pretty common. The new one will look different than the original one. 2005.5 and early 2006s had this issue.

4F5-827-505-D

Also, you can monitor your Central Electronics and see what switches are doing what to cause the indicator/alarm.

Last edited:

thatguywiththeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
But I disconnected the harness before the switch and its still intermittently going off on right turns and when I shake the car. Wouldn't this mean the problem is before the switch? Also how do I montier the electrical . Is vcsd used for this?

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
disconnecting it does not complete the circuit to tell the ccm the trunk is closed . There is also a undated wiring harness for the drivers door and the latches are crap too . Good luck R

thatguywiththeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Right. So it should show constant open when disconnected. It does not . It stays intermittent . Which makes me think is grounding or shorting before the switch.
Anyone have a link to a wiring diagram?

thatguywiththeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Its located just behind the rear seat on the drivers side. Near the wheel well. It provides power to the tails brake reverse plate lights and trunk release.

thatguywiththeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know the number of pins.at the moment but I will look tonight. There may have been more then one connector but all right.nextto each other.

thatguywiththeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
i went at it again tonight, this time focusing on the harness in the door. even with the door harness unhooked completely the chime/light still activates!

so thus far i know its not the door harness or anywhere in the trunk.

now what????