Engine cuts out at 2k RPM, local mechanic is lost...

TDI
2000 GL
Frankly, I don't know where else to turn.
2 weeks ago I was accelerating after being stopped at a stoplight, and suddenly my 2000 TDI started sputtering around 2k RPM. It felt like i was pumping the gas on and off. The car runs fine up until ~2k and then begins to sputter. It smokes badly and when the CEL came on I figured it was more than I could handle on my own (clogged fuel filter etc.)

I took it to a local VW mechanic who is a friend of the family and a TDI owner himself. He was very honest in telling me that he had no idea what the problem was. So we took it to a larger VW shop where his friend worked and they thought it was the master ground. They replaced it, i paid $250 and 10 minutes after driving it off the lot it started sputtering/cutting out again.

At this point the mechanic is kind of lost, trying to save face by telling me I should replace the entire ECM. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in this, or heard of something like this happening. I don't have the engine codes...but I may be able to get them if you think they'll help, but so far they don't seem to have helped 2 mechanics.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
mrbiodiesel111 said:
...the mechanic is kind of lost, trying to save face by telling me I should replace the entire ECM.
Well, if you listen to him, you really do need a new brain...

You had it right when you said that he's lost... as was the other one...

I'm sure that where you live (U.S.) there must be at least one person who owns a Vag-Com... please narrow down your location just a bit... we may know of someone who actually understands these cars nearby... (or not...)

Yes, the codes will help... but it would be nice to know on what type of instrument they were read... there are also a couple of diagnostic strategies that could be used instead of simply guessing (as those mechanics were...)

Yuri.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Is it possible that the IP can't provide enough fuel over 2k rpm?
What happens if you get up near 2k, then downshift while coasting to put you above 2k rpm without fueling?

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
what color is the smoke? You know, boost starts to really come on around 2k. Perhaps a turbo issue? Also, always try a new MAF in times like this.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
You should check the following things:
1. Clogged snow screen/air filter.
2. Clogged intake.
3. Sticky VNT actuator.
4. N75 operation.
5. Malfunctioning MAF sensor.

The smoke indicates you're getting plenty of fuel but not enough air.

Give us your location and we'll find someone close who may be able to help.

TDI
2000 GL
Here's the latest from the local mechanic who called the dealership. The mechanic there thinks its a wiring harness corrosion problem. He left a message and wasn't very specific but quoted me $700 for the harness plus five hours of labor to replace it...total coming to around $1500....

I don't know about you guys, but I don't exactly have 1.5k sitting around in my couch cushions :( for that kind of repair work.

The smoke was black, the "snow filter" or whatever it's called near the battery and it was clean, checked the ERG/intake manifold for a blockage, but there didn't appear to be any.

I'm also extremely worried about paying 1.5k and then going back if that doesn't fix the problem. I can see this getting very expensive if I go to the dealership.

What do you guys think?

*edit: I replaced the MAF about 6k miles ago when there was a sudden severe drop in power and everything went back to normal. I live in central UT, hopefully there's someone nearby who can help.

Last edited:

lglamb

Veteran Member
$1500 for a second-hand diagnosis over the phone?

Run Away. Run Away.

Isn't black smoke too much fuel and/or not enuf air?
Don't know what an intake air leak would do.
If the turbo starts working around 2k, if it's the problem would this be a symptom?
(if so, at least you're getting used to the idea of $1500ish)

Lowell

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Get your car outa there!

Get somebody qualified to work on your car, check my signature...

DB

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Seriously, get your car to Kerma... this should not be a $1500 problem... get us the codes from a vag-com... we'll set you in the right direction...

Since everyone is pointing in the wiring harness direction, let's see if you have coolant migration. unplug the connector on the coolant sphere, is there coolant in there? if there is.. coolant migration could be one of your problems.

Next let's unplug the MAF. does it get better? if it does get better, then you probably have a bad maf/dirty maf.

When was the last time you had your fuel filter replaced?

How many miles are on this car?