Blizzak question

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Let me begin by saying that I've been using Blizzaks on all my vehicles since they first came out, and have gone through all their upgrades over the years with no problems. I use them only in Winter, and change to Summer performance tires in the Spring. Having said that, I just installed a set of Blizzaks new WS-80's, and they felt strange. By that I mean that they weren't what I expected, in that I felt like I was driving over a rough road. In the past, they've been soft and very smooth. I went through all the suspension checks and had new struts installed while I was at it, and still the same. To see if I was somehow imagining things, I put last years Blizzaks which are scheduled to go on my Golf, on the Jetta, and they were as smooth as I expected. The WS-80's seem to be acting like the Summer performance tires do when the temperature gets below 40 degrees. They ride hard until they get warmed up. The WS-80's are doing the same thing. Once they get warmed up they are smooth, but before that they are rough. Being that they are meant for cold weather, I have a feeling that they will hardly warm up during the cold season. Does anybody have any experience with these Blizzaks. If that is the way they are, I'm done with them, and will go with Michelin ice edge, or Nokians next year

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I've had a lot of Blizzaks, but never a WS-80. I've also never experienced what you are describing. I wonder if they stiffened the sidewalls of the new tire?

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I've been running WS80s, 17 inch, on my Q5 for the past 2 winters. I typically swap tires around Thanksgiving. The ride quality has been excellent in all conditions, so far. The Q5 is a heavier vehicle, though. I've driven across I80 in PA through blizzard conditions and they were great.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had a lot of Blizzaks, but never a WS-80. I've also never experienced what you are describing. I wonder if they stiffened the sidewalls of the new tire?
I have no idea what they did to the WS -80, but I'm not really happy with them so far, and for the price, I didn't expect any negative issues. I guess only time will tell, once the snow starts falling, I'll see how they compare to the previous ones over the years.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been running WS80s, 17 inch, on my Q5 for the past 2 winters. I typically swap tires around Thanksgiving. The ride quality has been excellent in all conditions, so far. The Q5 is a heavier vehicle, though. I've driven across I80 in PA through blizzard conditions and they were great.
My daughter has a Q2, what size tires does she have and what is the wheel pattern? Maybe she'd be happy with them

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
My daughter has a Q2, what size tires does she have and what is the wheel pattern? Maybe she'd be happy with them
You mean a Q3, aka expensive Tiguan?

the tire sizes are:

235/50r18
255/40r19 (optional)

5x112mm bolt pattern

I personally have the 18" wheels and run 16" steelies with 215/65r16 tires in the winter

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
You mean a Q3, aka expensive Tiguan?

the tire sizes are:

235/50r18
255/40r19 (optional)

5x112mm bolt pattern

I personally have the 18" wheels and run 16" steelies with 215/65r16 tires in the winter
Thank you. I'm not an Audi person, although I like them very much, and I didn't want to question my daughter too much, and have her think I'll be as involved in it's upkeep, as I was with her TDI. The only Audi I ever drove was a rental, back in 67' when I spent several months in Germany. It was a Super 90, and I recall doing 220+ KPH all the way from Kassel to Frankfurt. That was a rush :), and believe it or not, a cop on a beemer (bike) passed me.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I have no idea what they did to the WS -80, but I'm not really happy with them so far, and for the price, I didn't expect any negative issues. I guess only time will tell, once the snow starts falling, I'll see how they compare to the previous ones over the years.
I'd like to add something, and I'm asking, actually hoping, somebody comes up with a plausible answer. The temp this morning was 36 degrees, and I hadn't used the Jetta for three days. The last time I drove it, the temp was in the mid seventies. This morning, the car felt like I was running my Summer tires Bridgestone 760 Sport, which below 40 degrees feel like you're driving on square stone wheels, until they get warmed up. The same thing this morning with the Blizzaks. From reading other replies to my OP, I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what else is temperature related in the wheel / tire combo? I've actually turned the engine off and coasted down a hill, and it's still there, it practically goes away below 30 mph

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I assume you have checked the tire pressures.

I ran WS-80's on my Mazda and they didn't behave like you're describing. They were stiffer than previous Blizzak's but still soft compared to an A/S.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I assume you have checked the tire pressures.

I ran WS-80's on my Mazda and they didn't behave like you're describing. They were stiffer than previous Blizzak's but still soft compared to an A/S.
I double checked EVERYTHING, more times than I wanted to, and yesterday, quite by accident, I think I found the problem. Once I'm certain, I'll post the results. However, them being stiffer, explains a part of it, but not the real issue

It turns out that one of the rear wheels, had a bend on the inner rim. It was almost impossible to see. I had to use a straight edge to actually see it. I replaced the wheel and tire assembly with a Winter tire/wheel combo, that is scheduled to go on the Golf, and the ride is now smooth as silk. What I had originally expected. I'm getting the wheel repaired next week by a shop recommended by Tire Rack. While I'm there, I'm also getting the wheel that hit the pot hole checked, and if damaged, also repaired.

Last edited: