P0087 "pressure too low" error code

ToolNut

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS, '11 SportWagen
Hi all,

Six months ago we purchased a "new" 2015 SportWagen TDI S 6-speed from Colonial VW in Westborough, MA and have since put on only about 6K miles. Just for background, it's our sixth family TDI since 2001, and I've always done my own work non-warranty work on these cars.

About two weeks ago, the GSW went into limp mode and the flashing glow plug light came on. I made it home okay, but it was a bad time to learn that my old VCDS HEX-COM interface too old for the car. I began the trade-in process for a new CAN interface from Ross-Tech.

Regardless, the symptoms and dash light were gone the next day.

For reference, when this limp mode/error code happened, I was about 400 miles into a 12-gallon tank fill from Sam's Club in Worcester, MA.

A few days later, the car was running fine when I filled up with another 12 gallons of diesel from the same Sam's Club pump. About 200 miles into that second tank, the symptoms and light came back on, this time with a CEL.

I plugged in my new VCDS HEX-V2 interface and got the "Fuel Rail/System Pressure P0087 - Too Low" code. Argh. I feared the dreaded HPFP failure.

Colonial VW took it in. After a few hours, they told me that the HPFP system was fine, but they tested the fuel with their fancy VAS6774 fuel diagnostic tool and determined that the fuel was either very poor quality or possibly contaminated. Again, no damage to the HPFP, no metal shavings, no scoring.

They drained the tank, changed the fuel filter and flushed the system. The bill came to about $350.

I've done enough reading to know that the VAS6774 is only meant to be used for initial fuel diagnosis, that a definitive evaluation requires lab testing. With this in mind, I asked the dealer to provide me with an 8-oz fuel sample in a glass jar.

BTW, we drove our 2011 JSW TDI for more than 135K miles with no fuel system issues, and often filled up at that same Sam's Club.

So the question is, where do I go from here? Do I try to get Sam's Club to pay for the repairs, or do I need to ask VW to lab-test the fuel and prove that it was indeed a fuel problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Paul