South bend clutch chatter

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
This problem used to be worse. 30k miles later, this is still anoying. I don't want to take it apart. Do they all do this chatter thing?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
This problem used to be worse. 30k miles later, this is still anoying. I don't want to take it apart. Do they all do this chatter thing?
Are you talking about the noise with the clutch out in neutral? If so it's the gearbox. One solution is a fluidampr.
A known issue that I had with my MkVI, they'll eat the steel synchros.
Not so much of an issue with the 02J brass gears.
I just installed a SBC2 End in my MkIV, this is the "new & improved"
disc with springs incorporated. It has a bit of noise, but not objectionable, or damaging IMO.

NB! I'm assuming with your setup that you've got a Single Mass Flywheel.

Last edited:

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
It's a single mass wheel. The chatter occurs as I let the pedal out. I can feel the non-smoothness about halfway out and I think there are not any springs in the disc. This can't be very good for the driveline components, but at least it doesn't slip under power like my VR6 clutch.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Right. So we are not talking about a noise in neutral which is often mistakenly called "Chatter". A shudder (chatter) upon engagement can be caused by:

Oil on the friction surfaces
Glazed disk
Broken springs in the disk (your disk has them)
Glazed, checked flywheel
Loose trans to engine bolts
Bad motor/trans mounts
Warped pressure plate

Was the clutch action smooth when new? Was the flywheel re-surfaced? Do you "abuse" it with repeated hard launches? Do you have a rear main leak or input shaft leak?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's a single mass wheel. The chatter occurs as I let the pedal out. I can feel the non-smoothness about halfway out and I think there are not any springs in the disc. This can't be very good for the driveline components, but at least it doesn't slip under power like my VR6 clutch.
Do a couple hard launches. I found my Stage 2 Endurance would get glazed a bit in gentle driving. Driving it hard for a bit smoothed things out.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Do a couple hard launches. I found my Stage 2 Endurance would get glazed a bit in gentle driving. Driving it hard for a bit smoothed things out.
True-
I had an old IH Scout that liked a periodic push against a telephone pole. I would slip it just long and hard enough to smell it (not smoking). It would smooth right out for a while.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe the Stage 3 is more of a "puck" style clutch than the 2. Hence may be more subject to glazing if driven "soft". My own recently installed Stage2 End will shudder if I'm ez on it. I've adapted the driving style a bit by being more aggressive on the revs when
starting out. I don't think I'm harming the feramic disc at all.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You guys just gave me an idea... My car has just recently started to "shudder" on take-off, I thought maybe my MAF might have been acting up, but it is possible it is my clutch. I will give it a couple of medium RPM launches and see if that smooths things out again.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Depends on how old his Stage 3 is. About 5 years ago SBC renamed its Stage 3 to a Stage 2 Endurance.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
chatter

Now, I find there is a little chatter, especially when cold so with winter coming there will be a little more. If it annoys me enough I may tery slipping the clutch to see if that helps.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
It's worth a try. Having recently replaced a clutch (in the wife's car) I don't think I'd jump to pull a clutch unless it was absolutely necessary.

V-DubLuv

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
My stage 2 endurance is chattering as well. It slipped under load for months but was smooth as butter on engagement. Now it chatters like crazy but at least it doesn't slip! Getting the clutch nice and hot will smoothen things out for a day or 2 but I can't see the the lifespan of the clutch being too long.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I drove over 100K miles on a Stage 2 Endurance clutch until my DMF failed. Clutch was still in fine shape when I took it out of the car.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Clutches and brakes IMO are the most driver dependent wear items on cars. We all use them differently and the dics/pads wear accordingly.
A case where Your Mileage WILL Vary.
Tires have got to be a close second.
My $.02.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
My vote is for windshields! I cannot seem to maintain a chip-free windshield for more than the shortest of time!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I drove over 100K miles on a Stage 2 Endurance clutch until my DMF failed. Clutch was still in fine shape when I took it out of the car.
I have over 120K miles on my Stage 3 (barely pre-2E, but it was more than 5 years ago) and it's chattered since about 5k on it but has not gotten worse. It's definitely the clutch and not the transmission. It will also chirp occasionally as well as shudder on takeoff, but it's because it's very grabby and does not like to be slipped. The wife hates it but I can feel it clamping down just fine which is a nice sense of security when I want to play. I've gotten used to it and barely notice it anymore.

What color were the springs on the clutch? Rumor has it some were pink and those were the wrong springs.