Downsides of waiting on replacing cam?

Modest

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I bought my 06 BRM Jetta in February and love the car. I went ahead and had the belt replaced since the seller did not know the mileage on the belt and I had the car inspected by a site suggested TDI guru as well. He pulled the valve cover and as expected there was lobe wear especially on the 6th lobe according to the mechanic.

My question is can I wait on this and prioritize fixing other issues, maybe even indefinitely until I get the tell tale signs of a lobe gone Ive seen in some youtube videos? Or are there other potential issues in waiting to replace the cam? I want to say the mechanic mentioned that bits of the cam can mess up the tandem pump?

The issues I'd like to prioritize are ones like the low boost issue that has started in the past few months that could be from any number of vacuum leaks (but hopefully not a clogged actuator vane in the turbo). The car could barely make it up steep hills on a recent trip to TN through the foothills of the Appalachians. The car has also thrown a glowplug code as well. It also needs a transmission fluid flush.

So, full stop and get the cam replaced or can I wait and prioritize other issues first?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Without pictures, it's hard to tell...

Personally I would do this, assuming it's just one lobe and worn not more than 1 mm of the lobe tip:
-Install magnetic drain plug;
-Use 5w40 oil, CJ-4 probably. Shell Rotella T6? Mobil 1 TDT? You have plenty there available for cheap;
-Cut the OCI from 10k miles to 7-8k miles in order to monitor the wear (your drain plug will become engine and cam health indicator) and remove abraisive particles from the engine
-Meanwhile prioritize other issues first (EGR cooler, clutch, flywheel, suspension, low boost, tranny fluid, etc ...?)
-Pull the valve cover every 3rd oil change and check. I'd replace the cam once I see things go noticeably worse or more lobes worn.

Bits of cam can mess the oil pump and/or clog the strainer (= premature turbo failure due to low oil pressure or oil starvation). But again, this depends on the current stage the wear is. Tandem pump should not be a problem as it gets fileterd oil.

Finally, start saving for the new cam, lifters and shells. You will need them at some time.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
So I bought my 06 BRM Jetta in February and love the car. I went ahead and had the belt replaced since the seller did not know the mileage on the belt and I had the car inspected by a site suggested TDI guru as well. He pulled the valve cover and as expected there was lobe wear especially on the 6th lobe according to the mechanic.
What did the mechanic say about the cam at that time? What did he recommend? How many miles on the car then, and how many now?

Personally, I'd want to at least try to coordinate a cam/lifter change with a Timing Belt replacement. Not sure what the others will say on here, but if it is just starting to show wear, I'd make sure the best oil is in there, and check the cam periodically and see if you can make it to your next timing belt change.

Get on the IDparts mailing list, and grab yourself a BRM cam/lifter kit next time they go on sale...and, like mentioned above, order one of those magnetic tipped drain plugs while you're at it.

Considering many people drive them until holes wear in the lifters, and some people don't even notice until the car runs so poorly they have to look and see what's wrong, I'd say your safe to keep driving as long as the wear is minimal. That's my 2 cents at least.

My BRM cam was just starting to wear when I bought the car, so I did the whole works at once...timing belt, cam/lifters, magnetic plug, etc. Like a Ronco Rotisserie, I wanted to "set it and forget it".

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Depends on how worn the cam is. Keep in mind the cam hardening process only applies to the "crust". Once the hardened section is worn, the rest of the metal goes relatively fast.

Also, the car will never have decent power with a worn cam

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With only one lobe worn (not excessively, say 1-1.5 mm or less) you won't be able to notice the power difference.

Modest

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What did the mechanic say about the cam at that time? What did he recommend? How many miles on the car then, and how many now?

Personally, I'd want to at least try to coordinate a cam/lifter change with a Timing Belt replacement. Not sure what the others will say on here, but if it is just starting to show wear, I'd make sure the best oil is in there, and check the cam periodically and see if you can make it to your next timing belt change.

Get on the IDparts mailing list, and grab yourself a BRM cam/lifter kit next time they go on sale...and, like mentioned above, order one of those magnetic tipped drain plugs while you're at it.

Considering many people drive them until holes wear in the lifters, and some people don't even notice until the car runs so poorly they have to look and see what's wrong, I'd say your safe to keep driving as long as the wear is minimal. That's my 2 cents at least.

My BRM cam was just starting to wear when I bought the car, so I did the whole works at once...timing belt, cam/lifters, magnetic plug, etc. Like a Ronco Rotisserie, I wanted to "set it and forget it".

I'll have to call him up (it was ADW right outside of Ashville) but I seem to remember him saying there was significant wear on the 6th lobe but I can't recall a mm measurement.

Where can I buy one of those magnetic drain plus?

Also, hopefully I'm not looking at having to change the belt AGAIN if I replace the cam am I?

I am using Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 oil.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
No real point in monitoring the oil. You already know the cam is on borrowed time. With the engine idling listen at the exhaust for a Bup, Bup, Bup sound and take the hose loose between the air cleaner and the ASV and listen there, as well.

Driveability will be a pretty good clue as well, however, waiting until a lifter to wear all the way through is a bad idea because the valve stem could get damaged requiring head removal to fix.

Your mechanic may not know what he is talking about. Worn cam lobe debris will have Zero effect on the tandem pump spacifically because it is pressure fed by the oil pump, however if there is debris to small for the oil filter to catch, you could have debris anywhere in the engine that is pressure fed oil or splash lubricated by oil.

When the belt was done were either of these kits used:https://www.idparts.com/jetta-tdi-brm-timing-belt-kit-038109119p-p-931.html https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/038198119dlx-brm/ used or was just the T/B and tensioner replaced? When you have a timing failure, it is almost never because the belt broke. Usually, what fails is the tensioner, the water pump or the idler roller. When I did my T/B (88K miles) the T/B looked almost brand new.

I replaced the cam at the same time as the T/B because it was showing early signs of wear and I didn't want to have the possibility of cam lobe debris being circulated by the oil pump or to be replacing the cam between T/B changes.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought a magnetic drain plug on eBay for cheaper. Be sure it lists it as compatible with Volkswagen. VW has got the same thread size and diameter accross their cars.

Modest

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No real point in monitoring the oil. You already know the cam is on borrowed time. With the engine idling listen at the exhaust for a Bup, Bup, Bup sound and take the hose loose between the air cleaner and the ASV and listen there, as well.

Driveability will be a pretty good clue as well, however, waiting until a lifter to wear all the way through is a bad idea because the valve stem could get damaged requiring head removal to fix.

Your mechanic may not know what he is talking about. Worn cam lobe debris will have Zero effect on the tandem pump spacifically because it is pressure fed by the oil pump, however if there is debris to small for the oil filter to catch, you could have debris anywhere in the engine that is pressure fed oil or splash lubricated by oil.

When the belt was done were either of these kits used:https://www.idparts.com/jetta-tdi-brm-timing-belt-kit-038109119p-p-931.html https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/038198119dlx-brm/ used or was just the T/B and tensioner replaced? When you have a timing failure, it is almost never because the belt broke. Usually, what fails is the tensioner, the water pump or the idler roller. When I did my T/B (88K miles) the T/B looked almost brand new.

I replaced the cam at the same time as the T/B because it was showing early signs of wear and I didn't want to have the possibility of cam lobe debris being circulated by the oil pump or to be replacing the cam between T/B changes.

This is me recalling something I was told in February so most likely he told me it could cause issues with the turbo, not the tandem pump and I'm just not remembering properly. Having to replace a head definitely makes me want to go ahead and get this done. I'm pretty sure he ordered the parts from IDclub.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I budgeted and bought a cam, timing belt, and tools just before buying my '06. I drove it a month or so before replacing the cam. The cam busted through a lifter and made one heck of a racket the week before I planned on replacing the cam. I pulled the head to check for damage and lucked out. Your mileage may vary.