intalled time belt and corrected

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
From your other timing thread:
3/4 inch is way to much and the wrong approach.You could damage your engine. You should never start a TDI until the following procedure has been completed and verified.
  • Turn from the crank CW until the crank tool is an easy fit.
  • If the Cam is 180 degrees off remove the crank tool and turn the crank I complete turn and pin the crank again.
  • Make sure that the cam alignment hole is close to being able to be pinned.
  • You may have to remove the cam sprocket and reposition the belt on it.
  • Loosen the 3 bolts on on the cam sprocket so that the sprocket can turn without turning the cam.
  • Check that the belt tension is correct.
  • Turn the cam by the center bolt until the cam tool is an easy fit.
  • Tighten the 3 bolts on the cam.
  • Remove the crank and cam tools.
Double check your work by turning the crank 2 more turns and make sure tension is correct, the crank tool is an easy fit and the cam tool is an easy fit.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have a female mechanic come over tomorrow morning, she said thet she worked toyota for 25 years, and she hates vw. I had the outer metal cover off the cam and the hole to pin it was at about 1 o'clock I say abou 180deg. off but the #1 injector spring was compress. go figure ????Rattler I tighten the cam bolt to about 75 lbs. o you can sleep well. Bye.
With the obvious mistakes, you have made the VW TDI look to her like a problem. This makes the whole situation a self-fulfilling prophecy to her. She is thinking, what a crap VW engine...

By the way, this post of yours is the most coherent thing you have written anywhere on this thread. Whatever you did to get it this way, please keep it up. We are trying to help you, but you have made it hard by making lots of assumptions and not verifying that you were on track with the procedure. That, and the language barrier. Where are you located?

DizelDvica

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
We need pics

To be fair to all of us following this tread, it would be very beneficial to post a picture of your female mechanic friend diving under the TDIs hood...
Please....

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Actually, there is NO need to see a picture of this mechanic just because she's female, any more than there would be if the mechanic was a male.

And, if you think there is, this may not be the forum for you. In my humble opinion only, of course. :)

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It just kills me how hypersensitive we are expected to be these days. According to my 21 year old Grand Daughter, even acknowledging someones gender or confusion about the language someone speaks is nasty filthy "discrimination".

DD's post was just humor aimed at the human condition in all of us and was not meant to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Actually, there is NO need to see a picture of this mechanic just because she's female, any more than there would be if the mechanic was a male.

And, if you think there is, this may not be the forum for you. In my humble opinion only, of course. :)
I guess "another" female tdi calendar is out of the question now. ;)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
While women want kindhearted men, that doesn't mean there is not some order of roles. The paradox is women want to be pursued and men want to pursue, but the conflict might be how the pursuit is done.

Any woman who doesn't let the "chase" happen, through reverse pursuit or being too "easy" (subjective) might find themselves discarded in a short time. It all depends how much pursuit the man needs to feel like he earned her. You may not think it, but deep down inside that's what is going on in your brain. While it might give you a moment of happiness to have her "fall in your lap", subconsciously you desire a struggle.

Men are naturally pursuers and women are the chased. It's not sexism that this is the inherent nature of things. If you are religious there are examples of a man's role in the Bible that clearly shows the hierarchy (that doesn't mean there is dominance over the woman though). It's been going on since the dawn of time.

Back to the picture comment though. If she ends up looking like Olga "Potato Face" you will regret your ask. :D Lots of women like firemen calendars as much as men like Snap On (do they still make them?) calendars. Sure, if it was a male mechanic calendar it might sell, unless of course, we are using any of us in it. Then it wouldn't sell nary a one.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I like where this thread is going...the lock.

To help it along: I don't know if I want to see a pic of a gal that's been working on Toyotas for 25 years bending over under the hood.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well let's hope not. Must be time to go back on topic and continue to help the OP if we can.