VW Transporter bigger wheels and lift

sajjad

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI (mine), 2000 Jetta TDI (hers) & 2012 Transporter TDI
Ok TDI gurus!

I am purchasing a brand spankin' new VW transporter TDI. No. I'm not bringing it from Europe, they sell them here at the dealer in México.

I will be using it for long family trips and weekend ecotourism journeys.

My question is what is the biggest rim and tire combination I can put on without a lift kit?

And is there a lift kit or something I can do to give it more clearance? I read somewhere that if the lift is beyond 3cm there are some problems with the differential. Any body know bout this and how can I correct it?

I would have loved to order a 4motion package, but that is not available here in México.

I wil be doing some light off roading.

Any insight will be greatly apreciated.

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
I saw a transporter with mud terrain and a welded diff (he said) off-roading here in mexico but I'm sure it had some kind of lift
looked really good :D

sajjad

TDI
I had seen the Seikel kits before..

Considering I'll be shelling out a down and monthly payments, and the shipping costs from Deutschland, this option is a little beyond my budget.

I posted this same question to the UK T4 forum and sombody made the suggestion of just getting bigger tires and that will give me better dirt traction and a bit more height.

Check this out!

Hey Jose Luis! Was that Transporter you saw in NL mexican TDI?

By the way I saw your Mexico TDI Forum. Nice! But why didn't you do it inside this TDI club?

I started registering already!

Regards and saludos!

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I think upsizing the rims and going with higher profile tires would be your best bet.

I'd also look into what may need protecting on the underside in terms of skid plate(s).

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Give us more insight as what type of suspension is in the front and rear; coil, torsion bar...

I recomend NOT welding the diff. Thats a permenent solution that you will hate. ARB Air locker(s), Lock Right, VW Motorsport....etc will a much better choice. Research...

If you have torsionbar front, they can take extra preload. If coiled, you can replace the springs for stronger ones and/or spring spacers.

Check King Springs online. You msy just be suprised.

sajjad

TDI
McPherson in the front and independent in the back.

Thanx for these tips!!!

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
I would research VW 'rough road' springs, research vw for lift spacers, call a King Spring dealer and tell em what your plans are, research VW commercial cargo van suspension. Last time I was in MX, VW "Euro Vans" were used from taxis to construction duty with no windows and tow bumpers.

Let us know what you find.

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
I had seen the Seikel kits before..
Considering I'll be shelling out a down and monthly payments, and the shipping costs from Deutschland, this option is a little beyond my budget.
I posted this same question to the UK T4 forum and sombody made the suggestion of just getting bigger tires and that will give me better dirt traction and a bit more height.
Check this out!
Hey Jose Luis! Was that Transporter you saw in NL mexican TDI?
By the way I saw your Mexico TDI Forum. Nice! But why didn't you do it inside this TDI club?
I started registering already!
Regards and saludos!
Yeah it was a mexican TDI, I was off roading my vocho baja (baja bug) with a local club of safaris (VW things in US) and he went wherever we went, I did invite him to the club but he never signed up

did you signed up? as you can see were are starting we have like 2 months and we would love to see you there :D as soon as you sign up introduce yourself so we can grow bigger and bigger

sajjad

TDI
Finally getting new tires

So I have had my T5 for around three years now and the original 215/65/16 tires are conked out, (BTW they are Hankook, which are really weak tires)
I have set my eyes on some Michellin LTX 235/70/16 tires for a decent price at my local Costco.
So should I get them?
I put in around 50mi daily on so so highway roads. But I want to take the vehicle on the weekends and some weekdays on sketchy dirt roads, so is the ground clearance worth it to sacrifice highway milage (and how much) and additional wear on parts? Will it better or worsen my highway driving? I want good handling and economy on highway and good clearance and traction on dirt roads.
Also will they fit properly? Costo will not take them back if they don't fit. My only bet is to go to a used tire place and try on a similar size and model.

Last edited: