Attn: ATLANTA TDI Members

Austinatlanta

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
First diesel on the way!

Hello Atlanta folks! I have ordered a 2010 JSW 6 speed Silver/Black. Dealer says it should be here next Feb. I look forward to experiencing all that I have read about the TDI. I hope the VW reliability issues are in the past as I really want to keep this car for the long term.

I live Candler Park/Edgewood are near Little Five Points.

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
Austinatlanta said:
Hello Atlanta folks! I have ordered a 2010 JSW 6 speed Silver/Black. Dealer says it should be here next Feb. I look forward to experiencing all that I have read about the TDI. I hope the VW reliability issues are in the past as I really want to keep this car for the long term.

I live Candler Park/Edgewood are near Little Five Points.
Welcome to TDIclub Neighbor!

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Hello Everyone,
I am at Ft Gordon, GA (Augusta area) and would like to find someone somewhat close that is available this weekend to do some general maintenance on my 02 TDI? Pls pm me if you are, or know of anybody. I am willing to drive as far as Atlanta.
Thanks!
Tom

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
andreigbs said:
Look in the trusted mechanics thread for Roger Feldt. Great guy that does great work, in the McDonough area.
I'll second that. Roger is great. Troy Sentz, in Canton, is also great. So two choices, depending on schedules.

REVOSPEED

TDI
jetta
Ted's Tech Tuesday is on for tonite @ Ringtec if anyone wants to hang with the fellas, help a fellow dubber with projects or just come hang and chow...or even try a free Revo flash. Bryson is moving WagenWerks next to ringtec if you have nothing pending for the rainy night, come give him a hand moving in...you never know when you'll need a paintjob!

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
Just stumbled into this thread - I should have seen it ages ago...

Anyway, I'm Fred. I drive an '06 Golf (4-door, 5-speed, indigo blue, just like the one in my avatar) from East Atlanta (just south of L5P) to Buckhead every day, where I work at a small repair shop, not specializing in anything. I'm really just getting into actual work on TDI's (mine), as it has been fairly trouble-free, and I've only been involved in car-repair for about 4 years now. I don't (yet) have VCDS, but would be happy to help folks out locally with general car repairs and maintenance.

I hope there is an opportunity to meet some of you face-to-face soon!

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
Nice to see you found your way Fred!!! I am sure we will all be getting together soon, work has been crazy. I promise I will let the "cat" out of the bag for summer soon!

SDD

nikbristow

TDI
None at the moment.
Sorry I missed Asheville. Sounds like everyone had a good time. I'm definitely interested in an Atlanta-area GTG whenever one comes up. I'm not a guru by any stretch but I've performed a lot of the standards (manifold cleaning, diesel purging, nozzle swap, shocks/struts, general trouble shooting etc) and I've got VCDS.

Something to consider, SilverDemon, might be some sort of swap meet with the GTG. A lot of us probably have parts laying around that we no longer need. Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, I'll be checking this thread often. Great work.

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
Good Stuff!!!! I am still fighting this cold>>>>:mad: So as soon as I can catch up on work and sleep and my TDIs I would like to discuss the GTG with my fellow ATL TDIers and get the ball rolling.:)

thanks
SDD

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
HopefulFred said:
I drive an '06 Golf (4-door, 5-speed, indigo blue, just like the one in my avatar) from East Atlanta (just south of L5P) to Buckhead every day
My girlfriend and I are buying a house in East Atlanta (closing/moving in about a month); we'll be neighbors! :D

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
mrchaotica said:
My girlfriend and I are buying a house in East Atlanta (closing/moving in about a month); we'll be neighbors! :D
It's a great place to live. Let me know when you get settled in.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Not to steal the thread or anything, but there is a swap meet this weekend in Braselton. It's not a VW specific GTG or anything, but it's a GTG that I was made aware of, and they'd like to have some VW's there. And I think we could make a good turnout. I've got a very limited supply of things I could bring to sell, or you could just show, whichever. Here is the thread I posted awhile back. Georgia Swap Meet

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
As you might know there are a few members that have been working on a Local GTG here in Atlanta. I am not setting dates as of yet, but we are looking for your opinions and suggestions. Outside of the usual "goings on" of a GTG in talking with a few members there was some interest in helping some members with brighting their headlights, having a car detailer come out. What would you like to see/Be Helped with/ or would require something more involved? This GTG will be after Landon's in the spring, along the lines of AUGUST. Email or PM if you would like to join the Planning team.....:cool:

Justin
SilverDieselDemon(at)gmail(dot)com

Last edited:

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
SilverDieselDemon said:
This GTG will be after Landon's in the spring, along the lines of AUGUST.
August?! You must have ambitious expectations for turnout if you're planning that far in advance!

It sounds like an excellent idea, of course. PM pending re: planning team...

In addition to that, would anybody like to have a more low-key GTG in the short term (as in, within the next few weeks or so)? I'm imagining a more "newbeetle.org"-like event (i.e., considerably less wrenching than the typical TDI GTG). We could meet at Grant Park (which is the Atlanta city park with the best combination of size and easy parking) around noonish, hang out for a couple of hours, and either bring potluck snacks or subsequently caravan to The Vortex in Little 5 Points (or some other restaurant) for dinner. I wouldn't expect people to come from out of state (or from as far away as Macon, for that matter), but it would only take 3 or 4 of us metro Atlantans showing up to make it worthwhile.

If this sounds like a good idea to anybody else, reply and indicate your availability for November 14, 21, 28, and December 5. For example, mine is as follows:

Date ....... Available?
11/14 ...... Y[es]
11/21 ...... M[aybe]
11/28 ...... M
12/5 ........ Y

(I figure anyone who'd be likely to care about this already reads this thread, but if y'all think I should create a separate thread for it let me know.)

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
I'd like to hang out on most of those weekends, but I'm at work until six. So if folks are coming for dinner near L5P, sign me up. Also, let me recommend The Porter Beer Bar for dinner. It's not as straightforward as The Vortex, and maybe a dollar or two higher priced, but well-worth the cost for the high quality menu and beer selection, IMO.

11/14......N
11/21......Y
11/28......Y
12/5 ...... Y

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
For the last couple of years I have been having GTGs in Chapin, SC, near the end of August and near the end January. I chose the times to avoid being near Asheville and the November GTG in Madison, GA. This also fits in with my work schedule.

I am trying to decide between Jan 23 and Jan 30 of 2010 - I hope to have the decision made in the next couple of weeks.

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
SilverDieselDemon said:
As well as Sunday evenings. :)
How early on Sundays? What about the afternoon?

So far it's sounding like either Sunday the 15th or Saturday the 21st might be good times...

Michelle, Andre, John, Richard, Roger, Troy, and others whom I haven't met yet: what about you?

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
DanG144 said:
For the last couple of years I have been having GTGs in Chapin, SC, near the end of August and near the end January. I chose the times to avoid being near Asheville and the November GTG in Madison, GA.
Let's see if I can make a complete list of major southeast TDI GTGs:
  • End of January - Chapin, SC
  • Beginning of April - Jacksonville, FL (is Kraut planning one for 2010?)
  • June - Asheville, NC
  • End of August - Chapin, SC
  • October - Asheville, NC
  • November - Madison, GA
In addition, there are some significant non-TDIClub events:
  • April 30 - May 2 - NewBeetle.org Tail of the Dragon cruise (Bryson City, NC)
  • May 14-16 - Southern Worthersee (Helen, GA)
Unless there are some I missed -- and there probably are, so point them out -- it seems to me that there's a nice gap around February-March for an Atlanta GTG to slot into.

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
Madison GTG is out as there will not be one this year and Mr. Richard55 the host of the Madison GTG and myself will be hosting the 2010 Atlanta GTG together. Thank you Dan for the insight! We may end up in November again in 2010 as the year seems pretty laid out. I think it would be far to close to Ash. though. I will give Scott a call later today and see what his plans are for April.

If there are more dates I am missing would someone please be as so kind a to point my direction towards it. Thanks again, this evening I will have more information on April.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
mrchaotica said:
How early on Sundays? What about the afternoon?

So far it's sounding like either Sunday the 15th or Saturday the 21st might be good times...

Michelle, Andre, John, Richard, Roger, Troy, and others whom I haven't met yet: what about you?
Sundays are better for me as well; usually at church Saturday. Anyone heard from LurkerMike in a while? Is he still around? He had some great exhaust pipes to show last time in Madison.

KatEyes99

TDI
2009 TDI - Candy White - Auto
didn't read the whole thread so I'm going off the 1st few pages

I'm Kat. Hi. 1st post on these boards.

I bought my '09 TDI in July from Jim Ellis, Marietta. It had 90mi on it and now has over 7700. :eek: I like my car. A lot. We've taken it to WDW and out to Augusta a few times. I wanted the SportWagen but JE ran out of those fast during "Cash-for-Clunkers". I drove a '99 Explorer for 7 years so I was ready for a serious improvment on my fuel consumption! The WDW trip we averaged 41.6mi on the return trip home. We drove to Orlando and out to Kennedy Space Center 2x on the 1st tank and fueled up before returning home and I managed to go from Orlando to Marietta and back out to the ATL airport before my fuel light came on. Awesome.

My husband and I live in E. Cobb and you can usually find me parked on I-75 ~8AM and ~5PM M-F on my drive to Downtown. :rolleyes: