2003 vw 1.9l tdi lift pump not working

dandee

TDI
1.9 l vw beetle
car died , purchased new filter hooked it up no fuel to filter so bought new lift pump put in still not working is there a relay that is bad?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
^^^ what he said, unless someone added it after the fact.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Assuming you replaced the in-tank fuel pick-up.
Be sure and fill the new fuel filter with fuel.

Idaho Johnny

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI

there is no lift pump in a 2003 alh.. ?
I'm trying to replace a fuel lift pump in my 2003 WV Golf TDI, but you say there shouldn't be one. There IS one however (1J0 919 183H), BUT it appears as if it has no power making it to the wires that connect to it.
I couldn't find a fuel pump relay, which further makes me think there wasn't one originally.

If I want to replace whatever is there, what am I purchasing?... if not a lift pump? I need to replace the pump that is there with whatever SHOULD be there because it appears as if there is major fuel restriction going on... and there isn't power making it there anyway.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I'm trying to replace a fuel lift pump in my 2003 WV Golf TDI, but you say there shouldn't be one. There IS one however (1J0 919 183H), BUT it appears as if it has no power making it to the wires that connect to it.
I couldn't find a fuel pump relay, which further makes me think there wasn't one originally.

If I want to replace whatever is there, what am I purchasing?... if not a lift pump? I need to replace the pump that is there with whatever SHOULD be there because it appears as if there is major fuel restriction going on... and there isn't power making it there anyway.
Simple check: are there two wires or four wires going to the unit in the tank? Two wires means it's just a sending unit. Four wires means that it has been changed to a PD style fuel pump.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You can call it whatever you want, but doing so will not change the premise/basics of what this unit actually does. You got the part number correct: and if you searched on it you'd find that it is NOT called a "fuel pump."

It's a fuel sending unit and "fuel pick up" unit. Fuel is drawn via the Injection Pump [IP]: replacing an IP is a lot more serious of an effort and should not be undertaken unless you absolutely KNOW that yours is bad (the cost of one of these should be enough to pause you long enough to consider the matter).

"fuel restriction" has been established from what point?

Last edited:

Idaho Johnny

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
Thank you for your replies. I'm trying to troubleshoot an injection pump issue and just covering all my bases to make sure it's not something else other than the injection pump.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rule out everything pre-IP by pulling fuel directly out of a container: best to use an in-line filter.

I would suggest not predisposing what the "problem" is as that creates a bias and tends to run people down paths that might not be fruitful in resolving the real/source problem. You've jumped in as thought there's a problem with the fuel pick-up (though mis-appropriately calling it a fuel pump), and now it's the IP. I think that you need to TOTALLY rewind on everything and start from scratch. What the heck is really going on here? What's the history of this car? When did it actually not have this problem? What happened since that time? Etc. etc. Or, we can all chase rabbits down holes, for a LONG time...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jettawreck, I'd lost track of this fact! NO wonder things just seemed totally out of control (and I've helped perpetuate it!)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, but he jumped in over 8 months after the last post in this original Thread...

However, should have started his own Thread as readers tend to start at the beginning of a Thread and read forward unless it extremely long!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
And within the last week there was another guy replacing his "lift pump". Thought it was the same thread at first.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I like recycling threads if the issue is the same.
But you need to tell us right up front that that is what you're doing.
The OP never posted back, guess the bleed did the trick for him.
Johnny is trying to troubleshoot his IP. But he ignored the critical fact that the 2003 has no lift pump.
So I'm confused. Normal.............