270,000 miles too many for a 2006 BRM?

Modest

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have been keeping an eye out for my girlfriend for a TDI Jetta ever since I got mine. her 2002 BMW 525i is a slow gas hog and even worse, it requires premium.

I found a car listed within 50 miles that recently had a brand new turbo installed, timing belt change, and transmission flush. Its listed at 2900$ but the car has 270,000 miles on it. I'm definitely of the mindset that mileage can almost be a non factor in a properly maintained car but I'm wondering how many miles are too many before the transmission (it has the automatic DSG) is a concern? I've read some horror stories on here and Myturbodiesel about the expense of replacing the mechatronics unit in these transmissions. This car would be purchased to drive until it dies and with selling the 525i to fund it. Are there any other expensive wear repairs to consider other than the camshaft?

Most of these cars people are FAR too proud of in this area and they list for 5-6k for cars with well over 100k miles so this one is tempting-provided there isnt a certain mileage where critical failures are common.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I'll just give you a few things to research and rough cost of some of the parts for the car and let you decide for yourself.

-Check the camshaft and lifters, the BRM likes to eat camshafts. It cost me around a thousand dollars to replace it myself, that includes buying the tools and timing belt.

-The engine harness on the '06 Jetta is known to have chaffing issues. It can create a lot of electrical headaches, but you may be able to fix the harness yourself, or cough up the 400 dollars for a new harness.

-The DSG is actually pretty reliable. The flywheels on these earlier DSG cars are problematic, I would set aside another 400 dollars. Check to see if it has already been replaced. If it's been driven in the city a lot, the clutches could be a bit worn, those are another 600-800. More likely than not, the clutches will still have plenty of life left. Servicing the DSG yourself is around 120 or so.

-EGR cooler is prone to leaking. There's a few different repair options, some are cheap and not so legal.

-Power window harnesses have also been problematic, and very annoying when your window won't roll back up and it's about to rain.

Modest

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'll just give you a few things to research and rough cost of some of the parts for the car and let you decide for yourself.

-Check the camshaft and lifters, the BRM likes to eat camshafts. It cost me around a thousand dollars to replace it myself, that includes buying the tools and timing belt.

-The engine harness on the '06 Jetta is known to have chaffing issues. It can create a lot of electrical headaches, but you may be able to fix the harness yourself, or cough up the 400 dollars for a new harness.

-The DSG is actually pretty reliable. The flywheels on these earlier DSG cars are problematic, I would set aside another 400 dollars. Check to see if it has already been replaced. If it's been driven in the city a lot, the clutches could be a bit worn, those are another 600-800. More likely than not, the clutches will still have plenty of life left. Servicing the DSG yourself is around 120 or so.

-EGR cooler is prone to leaking. There's a few different repair options, some are cheap and not so legal.

-Power window harnesses have also been problematic, and very annoying when your window won't roll back up and it's about to rain.
The DSG being considered reliable is reassuring. Past that and the camshaft those were the only really spendy deal breaking issues I could think of. I already am going to have to replace the camshaft in my 170k mile BRM.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
270k wouldn't scare me.

The DSGs hold up pretty well. They will need a DMF eventually, and sometimes an M-unit but it is less likely than the valve bodies in the POS Aisin transmissions.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not too many miles, price is good.
Give it a good look over and test drive. Ask for full service record. Check title.
There are a few good threads around on Buying Used TDIs.
You might also contact member DanG144 and ask if you can pay him to look it over. (sorry Dan if you don't do that sort of thing)

Modest

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Not too many miles, price is good.
Give it a good look over and test drive. Ask for full service record. Check title.
There are a few good threads around on Buying Used TDIs.
You might also contact member DanG144 and ask if you can pay him to look it over. (sorry Dan if you don't do that sort of thing)
If thats Dan at ADW, thats who did the belt on my TDi and is exactly who I would be negotiating with the seller to take the car to.