Pyrometer - EGT

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Anybody is running an egt gauge in metric ? I'm not a big fan of Fareneight measurements... unless cooking something in the oven :\

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I am, but mine is integrated in to my home-built boost controller...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
You have an independant boost controller ? You mean boost gauge ?
My engine has no ECU - it's a formerly AHU running with a Rover pump in a B3, replacing an AAZ. I wanted to run a VNT though so I built a stand alone controller. Kept the rock solid reliability of a mechanical diesel with the performance capabilities of a built up TDI.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Gotcha,
Anybody is using am egt probe on kp39?
Looking for the best place to put it before turbo.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The closest place would be on the driver's side of the turbo housing down low close to the engine block, and the other one would be through the EGR cover plate--if you have one-- using a 4" probe. If you don't have the EGR delete plate, then pulling the turbo off is your best option before drilling and tapping a hole.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The KP39s are made of butter and EGTs aren't the problem, you won't be able to produce considerable smoke to cause high temps without heavily over-spooling the turbo. Do you have a boost gauge? They're known for sporadic behavior, even stock. A larger turbo would decrease EGTs and solve the weak turbine problem ;) Mine started eating the housing at 290K km and was a single owner car that was never tuned.

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Will be adding boost and egt at the same time.
The turbo manifold is already out from the car. I just hesitate between long and short probe. I think I'll go for short one with a drill and tap process @ where all 4 exhaust line meet up.
I'm just aftaid that I'll wrongly place the probe and it interfere with something (intake manifold). I know kp39 are not the highest end turbo.
It is not my first diesel car/truck, I just like to monitor things on the go :)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Please be sure you get all of the shavings from the drilling and tapping of the hole out of the turbine before you re-install it; otherwise you may get a very short life turbo.

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Will do :)
...but I think it's a matter of months before my kp39 gives up. At 245,000km I dont think it will give much more life, but curiously, after inspection, it rotates freely, no axial play with a very tiny lateral play. We will see I guess :)

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Can you tell which one you have? I have the newsouth performance. I’m a bit dissapointed TBH. Readout starts at 600F. So no ways to monitor turbo cool down or normal city driving. Also the gauges is capable of reading out up to 2200F!! Who ever goes there ??
...or maybe my readings are off.
Steady state 65mph flat road I read 650F. Climbing hill 65mph 850F-900F.