www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 12th, 2017, 22:31   #16
Prairieview

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

Sorry to butt in, but, is there any way to utilize a gas 01M in the diesel alh car.......like the good-working FDF I am getting ready to pull from my 2002 gasser?

If not, is it a matter of the braking system and computer not being willing to work with the different final drive?

Thank you...it is an honest question.
Prairieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 05:49   #17
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieview View Post
Sorry to butt in, but, is there any way to utilize a gas 01M in the diesel alh car.......like the good-working FDF I am getting ready to pull from my 2002 gasser?

If not, is it a matter of the braking system and computer not being willing to work with the different final drive?

Thank you...it is an honest question.
Its a matter of the gear ratios are wrong and you'll be running down the highway at too high of rpm. WONT WORK.
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:03   #18
compu_85
Gadget Guy

I always wondered if you could integrate the Jateco 5 speed used in the 04 and 05.0 PD cars with a late ALH... The CAN buss should be the same speed. I'm sure one of the ECU tuners here could provide some more information.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:06   #19
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

If a mechanic were involved it would be cheaper to buy a PD car, or even to pay for rebuilding the 01m. If your suggesting a DIYer might want to do that, maybe that would be financially feasable, but still a whole lot of work.
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 22:12   #20
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in Savannah...

I have bought and use one of the builds from IPT - VERY VERY happy customer here. New torque converter, super solid lockup when it is commanded, and I not only got the whole transmission built too, but I got to see him doing it. They aren't sent out, he is a small business (just a couple people that grew up eating transmissions for 3 meals a day) and knows exactly what he is doing.

I trust John, and haven't had any issues at all.
A couple of key points though:
Synthetic fluid. Any good Dexron/Mercon for this unit is what he suggested, I use Mobil One Synthetic. Spendy but great stuff.
Keep the transmission cool. Transmission oil is basically 20 weight oil, and flows just fine in the cold, otherwise you'd never be able to drive any car in the winter without a transmission pan heater. Use an external cooler, the tiny factory "plate cooler" allows the temps in stop-and-go traffic to exceed 230 degrees. With an external cooler and the AC on (assuming it is hot outside) the fans move enough air that the fluid never exceeds 205, and it takes a LONG time to get there. Normal operating temp is 170-180, basically perfect. The torque converter makes lots of heat, the factory "cooler" is passing 200 degree water through it, so most of the time it is ADDING heat not taking it away. This transmission likes to be cooler.

Change the fluid - Every 40k. It isn't hard, and your transmission's lifespan depends on it. I have been intentionally running with extra fluid (no other changes) to see what difference it makes and monitoring temps and performance, and the result is that I believe a bit extra to be beneficial to overall performance, versus the risk of draining too much and running low because of the way you have to set the level. Too much is definitely less bad in my opinion than not enough. My brother in law will attest to that, he incinerated a transmission by driving it with not enough fluid, when I kept warning him that the red drips weren't blood on the ground! (yes it had a leak, he never did figure out where, but he is an idiot.)
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:41   #21
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Are you using the Mobil1 Allison spec fluid, or something different?

After tooefing over fluids for far too long, I decided to use the Mobil1 Allison spec fluid in my Mercedes. It's been about 20k miles now (the factory change interval for city driving), I should send some out for analysis.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 21:25   #22
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in Savannah...

Not sure if this is the same one you have - Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, labeled for Allison C4, Jaso 1-A and Mercon V.

About $10 a quart.