Adding GPS to RCD510... the hard way

mgal

TDI
MKVI '11 Sportwagen
I recently came into a Garmin 60CS gps unit. Wondering if anyone has insight on how to hardwire GPS hardware into a RCD510.

Contingent, of course, upon modifying the RCD OS to accommodate a GPS board.

Is this even possible?

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
isn't the garmin 60cs a handheld unit for hiking?
I'm gonna say even if that could be some how adapted to the car's radio (which is not gonna happen unless you're an electrical engineer or something) its not really what you'd want in your car.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I recently came into a Garmin 60CS gps unit. Wondering if anyone has insight on how to hardwire GPS hardware into a RCD510.

Contingent, of course, upon modifying the RCD OS to accommodate a GPS board.

Is this even possible?
I kind of wondered if my unit would somehow cord to a usb to do something,ha (mini usb or hdmi jack on it as I recall).

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
I seem to recall that some company made a PC board to convert an RCD510 to add GPS. The board took the place of the CD changer, and required surgery to get it done. I suspect what you are asking is not practical.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I kind of wondered if my unit would somehow cord to a usb to do something,ha (mini usb or hdmi jack on it as I recall).
The mini usb port on my Garmin unit can be used to upload firmware and maps, or download tracks, but not for accessing current location data.

Simon