High pitch whine from stereo

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I wasn't clear.
Use the bench speakers for the test, bit the cars.
Only have the power and one ground wire from the car.
If no noise add the car speakers one at a time.
Ah ok I understand now that makes more sense. Yea I could give this a try, maybe I can get around to it tomorrow

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Problem solved. Got the cheap amazon stereo today, installed it and whine went away... Old one is headed straight for garbage

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Yea it's nice not to hear a high pitch whine rip your ears apart when the volume is low...with the road and engine noise, plus higher volume, you couldn't hear the whine, but sometimes it's nice keeping the volume low :)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Glad you got tunes again.

I'm curious what was wrong with the old one only in the car.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
No clue, I don't know enough about electronic boards to start digging into them... It's possible that I couldn't get the volume high enough on the only set of speakers I have to hear the whine on the old stereo... When I asked my brother in law about it he said it's possible that an inductor went bad on the stereo, which wouldn't surprise given it was a no name cheap stereo.

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
If fixed my high pitch/variable w/acceleration whine just now with a $8 noise filter between switched power and the head unit ignition power wire+(aftermarket) powered sub in the spare tire.

I used the choke/coil style off of Amazon:
Noise Filter

It's a 95% reduction and I'm so relieved.

Previously multiple grounds, single common ground, grounding chassis/head unit/RCA negative side together, and clip-on ferrite chokes on every conceivable power line with multiple combinations of choke sizes were all tried and all did nothing.

I also tried multiple iterations of RCA ground loop isolators, and while they stopped any whine from the aftermarket sub amp, they also reduced sound output to just a fraction what was put out before. The whine from the head unit/door speakers remained.

I'm looking forward to a long drive this week to see if, after years of getting used to it, the whine is truly gone.

Last edited: