Key Fob Drowned, what to do?

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
So my key fob took a swim in some Smirnoff Ice this past weekend... I rinsed it with cold water (battery removed at this point), and dried it completely. When I went to test it, every button activated the alarm. I tried following some procedures I found online to erase fob memory and reactivate it, but with no success... Is this key toast?

Another question: if I get a used key off the internet, what do I need to look for? Should I just one from an MK4, or are there other parameters which I have to verify before making the purchase?

Thanks guys!

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Yea, starting is no problem, but the remote unlock is messed up. Is the condition described above salvageable? What do need to verify about the used replacement key fob that i plan to buy?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
yes, you'll need to purchase a fob with the same part no.
<<incorrect statement removed>>
I would take your fob apart down to the circuit board and see if you can clean or repair the damage, pro'ly won't work, but worth a try

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The part of the fob with the immobalizer tag and the part with the door lock electronics that just got damaged by water are, luckly, two different parts... so you can buy a new fob and simply transfer the new electronics half to the old half with the key and immobalizer tag.

You will then need to teach the car to recognize the new door lock electronics...if you have a second door lock capable key there's a procedure you can use to teach the car the new key, otherwise you need VCDS and a laptop.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I just came here to make fun of you for drinking smirnoff ice! :)

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Haha, you're not the first :p I learned my lesson, and I didn't even get to drink it, it all blew up and spilled everywhere, drowning my keys, wallet and cell phone. If that's not a sign to swear off the stuff, idk what is.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This technique may work for waterlogged devices.

1. Remove the battery from the device. This is critical, and do it as soon as possible, even if you are not going to follow this technique, this is your best chance for device survival.
  2. Find a container slightly larger than the device that will hold liquid.
  3. Remove battery covers and other compartments so you can be sure to get into all areas of the device.
  4. Place the device in the container and fill with Alcohol completely submerging the device. The alcohol will displace any water left in your device. Jiggle the container around a bit to make sure the alcohol is able to drive out the water droplets in your device. You may need to weight your device to keep it under the water. I would suggest a 5 minute period of soaking, you can vary the time based on your results and optionally repeat this step if you are not successful.
  5. Remove the device and put it somewhere to dry for an hour or two. The alcohol will evaporate very quickly but be sure it’s really dry. Q-tips are helpful as well to make sure you’ve got the item clean.
  6. Reassemble your device and hopefully you are good to go. If not you can repeat this step again.
Use 95% isopropyl alcohol from the drug store if you can.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Thanks

That is a very good method which I will use henceforth. I guess it won't hurt to try it on the key fob, but I'm pretty sure it's toast. Thanks for the tip though!

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
My BMW fob went swimming... I took a hair dryer on warm to it.. It still didnt work. .....But 3 days later it worked perfect again, and worked until I sold it over a year later.

I had an iPhone fall in my hot tub, same thing, worked fine after a few days.
But its hit and miss. If its cooked, its cooked.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Interesting. Your key fob must really not like Smirnoff.

I used to be convinced the key fob for my old Golf didn't work ever since I bought the car. The previous owner even said so. So I kind of abused it, took it swimming a few times, and even lost it in a river once. When I was selling my car, out of desperation to raise its value, I tried to make the key fob work. I put a battery into it, and used the reset procedure from the owner's manual, and it worked!

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Cell phone water logged steps usually call for letting it dry in a container of rice (after disassembly so rice can make contact with circuit boards). Maybe that will help it come back to life.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Yea, starting is no problem, but the remote unlock is messed up. Is the condition described above salvageable?
In this case, you are in luck. If you can get it to work, great. If not - since the car starts, this means that the immobilizer RFID chip still works. This is the hard part to re-program. Just buy any late model key fob and transfer your RFID chip and the metal key into the new FOB (or transfer the new remote control PCB into your old fob). The remote control PCB can be matched to your car by anybody with VCDS (Vag-Com). One caveat; you will need to take all keys with you when you match the remotes to the car.

Here's a lot more info on VW keys, immobilizers, and remotes. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/immobilizer-VW-Audi-FAQ.htm

Have Fun!

Don

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Thanks for all the input!!

Wow guys, I wish the seadoo forums were this responsive to my posts! I recently ordered a used a fob from a 2004 jetta (same year as mine). I hope to use the programming procedure on the fob part and just clip it onto my flip-key. As for the cell phone... it worked well until today. It's an old flip-phone and today the d-pad went out, along with the "Talk" button and the two buttons under the screen which are vital for selecting vital options. And all this is after the rice-bag treatment and 2 weeks of use. My new-used phone is already in the mail :)

I'll let you all know how the programming attempt goes when I get my new key.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
How about a lost FOB? (the only one)

What is the procedure to get a replacment?

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
New fob works :)

Got my new key today, detached the blank key part, and followed the simple programming procedure outlined in one of the above websites and got my remote unlock capability back! Thanks for all the suggestions guys! BTW, my fob was from the same year car, but not sure if it was a TDI or not. I guess that part doesn't matter.

JPDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5Spd
Caution

If you use the alcohol to dry electronics, it should be anhydrous meaning contains no water. The easiest source for this will be Heet or other gas line antifreeze.

Bertman

TDI
2012 Jetta Wagen
This technique worked perfectly for me

This technique may work for waterlogged devices.

1. Remove the battery from the device. This is critical, and do it as soon as possible, even if you are not going to follow this technique, this is your best chance for device survival.
  2. Find a container slightly larger than the device that will hold liquid.
  3. Remove battery covers and other compartments so you can be sure to get into all areas of the device.
  4. Place the device in the container and fill with Alcohol completely submerging the device. The alcohol will displace any water left in your device. Jiggle the container around a bit to make sure the alcohol is able to drive out the water droplets in your device. You may need to weight your device to keep it under the water. I would suggest a 5 minute period of soaking, you can vary the time based on your results and optionally repeat this step if you are not successful.
  5. Remove the device and put it somewhere to dry for an hour or two. The alcohol will evaporate very quickly but be sure it’s really dry. Q-tips are helpful as well to make sure you’ve got the item clean.
  6. Reassemble your device and hopefully you are good to go. If not you can repeat this step again.
Use 95% isopropyl alcohol from the drug store if you can.
Thank you Lightflyer1 for your tip to soak a submerged key fob in isopropyl alcohol. I followed your instructions and the key fob I dropped into the lake came back to life. You saved me $130. I’ll make a donation in your name at my favorite brewpub when the quarantine is over. Thanks buddy. Bert

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I just came here to make fun of you for drinking smirnoff ice! :)
I agree about Smirnoff.
Stolichnaya on ice, that's nice. :D

Never drink while you drive.
You might hit a bump and spill your drink.

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
FYI, WD-40 blasted into the fob circuit has saved many of my submerged fobs.

It's almost like it was made for displacing water.