Wiper Blade Replacements

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I think my Golf's wiper blades were streaking from the day I bought the car. Can anyone recommend some good replacements that don't require a second mortgage? Also, is blade tension something I should have checked?

dndkk

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Good plan not going back to the dealership. I replaced mine after 20k due to streaking with OEM and right away I knew that it was a mistake. There was no difference other than I was down $36. CDN.. Good luck with your choice..

aaron

Veteran Member
TDI
asbarrus
I'm a big bosch fan. Best wiper blades in the world! But in climates like Utah, they still need replaced every year.

It seems they wear out just as fast, but make a crystal clear swipe when they're good (aside from a thousand rock chips)

Aaron

Westy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI Auto.
Try your local Volkswagen dealer for wiper blade inserts, much less expensive. 200 955 522 I think is the #. These inserts are 22" long and have to be cut to the size of your old blades. Look very closely before cutting to size, if you cut the wrong end you will render them useless. 21" for the driver's side and 19" for the passenger side, for A4 Golf's and Jetta's. The new Beetle blades are so much different than conventional replacement blades, that inserts are the only way to go unless you want to buy the original style replacements.

JoeDiesel

Veteran Member
I just got done trying to find a good replacement blade. About 2 months ago I got a winter blade set for the front and a new rear wiper for 53.00 CND. (yea.. I was surprised too).

I couldn't find any other wipers that fit the wiper arms except bosch. I got them for 12.99 a piece. Replacement blades didn't fit in the original wipers (didn't try bosch though).

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Funny, around here (chicagoland) you can get the dealer ones, just the rubber insert for about $12. Or the Bosch micro edge's for about $25 a pair for the whole thing except for the actual arm.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I'm confused. You all mean it's really hard to find replacement blades that fit? Can't I just go to some auto store and get the right size? I don't want to buy anything from VW unless there is no other option.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Originally posted by Mass. Wine Guy:
I'm confused. You all mean it's really hard to find replacement blades that fit? Can't I just go to some auto store and get the right size? I don't want to buy anything from VW unless there is no other option.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope, you can get them almost anywhere. But get the good Bosch ones, skip Anco of the overpriced, window streaking Piaa clean wipe whatevers...

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Yeah, you should be able to get refills at most FLAPS... The hard(and expensive) part is having to get two sets because the front blades are two different lengths. Who's the rocket scientist that designed that?!

Also, I take the better of the two front take-offs and cut it down for the rear wiper (I have a Golf). What a PITA.

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Westy:
Try your local Volkswagen dealer for wiper blade inserts, much less expensive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you remember how much? I can't think of any place other than Crappy Tire to get them, and they sell Anco and MotoMaster Teflon. Napa?

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Silblades - very very happy with them, 5yr. garantee. At two plus years they are still performing like new.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I would try to get the Bosch blades, or inserts. I can get them at Autozone around here. They sell many different lengths, and the inserts are only $7.99/pair USD. Whole blades are $7.99 each, I believe. I just replaced our NB inserts with 22" Bosch and they fit perfect. Sometimes you have to buy the whole blade (I'm thinking on my Passat), just make sure to get Bosch. They are OEM and they fit well.--Steve

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Originally posted by Norman:
Yeah, you should be able to get refills at most FLAPS... The hard(and expensive) part is having to get two sets because the front blades are two different lengths. Who's the rocket scientist that designed that?!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not that big of a deal... just store the 2nd blade of each size someplace cool and dark and you'll have another set on hand when the first wears out.

2000 TDI

On the Golf's, have any of you noticed the passenger side stock blade has a slight curve to it? The Bosch replacements do not. Also, the drivers side stock has the piece that captures the wind to hold the wiper down at high speeds, which does not fit the same on the Bosch replacements. Any suggestions other than dealer parts?

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know where, but in all my experience the passenger's side blade never wears out
. Only the driver's side, sometimes the hatch

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
If you do replace the hatch wiper insert, be sure to bring in the old blade because your friendly autoparts store will try to sell you one that is just 1/4" too short!

Ashokan1

Stick with the good Bosch micro edge. I recently tried Wurth wipers and they were OK but not as good as that smooth clean wipe of the Bosch.

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
Been replacing my wiper blades (inserts)on my 98 NB (103k miles) with Bosch and getting 2wks to 2 mts before I got a streak. The streak was always in my line of sight on drivers side. I could not clean or even find the defect on the edge. After spending over $30 in 22" (43321) Bosch refills ($6.99 ea.) I tried Anco N-21R refills and have had very good results. It's been 6 mts now and no steaks. When they were smeared (just a little = dirt) I wiped them down with W/W fluid and they were good as new. That trick did not work with the Bosch refills. Autozone counter parts guy said that Bosch rubber wiper blades are junk. I'd have to agree.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I get refills for my NB at walmart. They are about 5 bucks for a pair, work great, last about 8 mounths to 1 year.

godlike242

Veteran Member
i just replaced the driver side wiper with a Bosch Micro Edge, but I am of the general opinion that a good coating of Rain-X, which is maintained, is the best way to keep things visible.

cocca

Veteran Member
i use Rain-X. it's awesome. my wiper blades are original from the factory - September 1999 ! ! ! I might replace the rubber inserts w/the VW inserts this spring.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
I just replaced the OEM blades on my Golf with Bosch Micro Edge Excels. The driver's side is 21" and the passenger is 19". They were $11.99 and $9.99 respectively at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Now for the dumb question:

The OEM driver's side blade has some sort of wide, carrier-like appendage on the leading edge.

Is there any reason to retain this ?

Thanks!

nynbak

I aggree with jayb79 Walmart sells a replacement blade which is plastic with the rubber refill for a little over $2. They are easy to change over, last about 6-9 mo., but do not include the wind deflector. In my experience you lose perfect window contact at about 80mph without the deflector. I made the switch to the Walmart blades on my 7 series when the dealer told me a replacement blade with deflector was $57--I don't think so.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It's a wind deflector and helps to keep the blade pushed against the windshield.

An option would be to get the Bosch inserts and use them in the original blades. Advance, O'Reilly's, and AutoZone don't seem to carry them anymore. However, I have been able to get them through NAPA. They weren't in the store, but the counter person got them from their warehouse in a couple hours time.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Thanks MOGolf:

I guess the next question would be... are the aerodynamic advantages of the OEM wind deflector better than the Bosch design itself ? I've already bought and installed the whole Bosch units. It looks like the deflectors will come off, and could be transferred over if need be.