Sale* B4 96 Passat Wagon blue grey - parts or rescue

senorbigstuff

TDI
'96 Passat
Hello all-

Had the car towed to the very handy Matt Phelan in NorCal after I started smelling coolant. Turns out it needs a new heater core ($1100 parts and labor) and the battery died in the meantime (~$150). I just don't have it in me to give this car the attention it needs, and with the COVID situation, we can move to one car. I've loved it for the last 9 years, though I've dinged it up some. I'm hoping someone from this community, which has helped me a ton over the years, wants it for parts or a rescue project.

Overall I would say the car is in fair condition. Some spots of rust, though nothing a bit of sanding and painting won't fix easily--doesn't seem to be structural. Rear passenger door is different color from accident with previous owner. The sunroof drains tend to get plugged and in heavy rains I get some water on the passenger floor. There was a veggie oil system put in by the previous owner, which I had taken out, so the trunk area is a little worse for wear, and it's now missing the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. Engine seems to be running strong. Recently replaced the instrument cluster in Jan after mine melted (using a modified VR6 with MFA), so odometer now reads 20,000 miles, but it had around 315,000 miles before that. Had the alternator and ac belt replaced recently as well. Door handles periodically fail to open the doors.

Would love to get $500 for it. Will see if I can get over to Matt's to take some photos.

<div>Overal

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Just do a heater core bypass for now and the smell will be gone.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Just do a heater core bypass for now and the smell will be gone.
I second this. Really how often have you used heat in California? :D Here in Southwestern Ontario Canada this month alone we have have 50+ year temperature records broken for both extreme cold and heat!

One thing I recommend considering is tackling the heater core yourself. 99.5% of the cost of the job is labour. It's not a particularly difficult job just time intensive. Likely 6-8 hours for a pro and 50% +/- more for a DIY'er.