NEED HELP ASAP fast reply. IDK what GT turbo garrett sent me !!!

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Garrett turbo questions

ok so here is my problem. I NEED A REPLY ASAP as i have t get my car on the road and order a new turbo if need be which will take a week to get!!!
i cleaned out my intake system to get rid of all the soot and when i took the turbo out for cleaning i found the housing was cracked and i was no longer going to reuse it. called my local supplier in Kitchener Ontario and he ordered me a factory replacement for the vnt15 aka the gt17v in modern day terms
today he calls me and says Garrett USA sent him a newer style turbo as the vnt15 is no longer made or remanufactured...... the label on the turbo says gt17v (which would be correct as a modern replacement BUT!!) the serial number on the box and number on the turbo don't match (both of them when I search Garrett website keep coming back with European models 88hp and 109hp units not the NA 90hp unit until the last page which says VW new beetle / tdi ALH 98-05 ?? 90hp but all golf and boras are saying 2006 year with either the 88 or 109 hp units.. i thought the alh was made in both markets until 03?? makes me not trust their website at all. this also doesnt make me trust there stamp saying gt17v as if they messed up the PN# what else could they of messed up.
the label does say made in the uk so i understand why these units are coming up but did they share the same turbo as the NA market??
GARRETT wesbite search
LINK ATTACHED.
https://installerconnect.garrettmoti...ttMotionSearch
below are the PN# SN# and turbo number on the box and on the unit
https://ibb.co/84B7Ppn
https://ibb.co/HnzjV7F
if you noticed the lst 4 digits on the box show 9007s, meanwhile the turbo shows 9006s...... you cannot find a 9006s on garrett pn search but the lnk i shared above is all from the 9007s??? SO MANY THINGS ARE INCONSISTENT
my id parts guy called Garrett said they said it is a replacement but didn't specify which unit is it the gt17v or the VA(gt17v) my parts guy calls it a gt7va which is slightly bigger turbine but same as a gt17, and then, of course, there is the larger gt17vb which im not using. i do not want to install this turbo and find out i need injectors or a tune to not starve the thing. can my factory intercooler handle is aswell if it is slightly larger turbo running hotter??

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Dude calm down and stop writing with CAPS

As long as it bolts on to your exhaust manifold and the piping goes in the right place your fine... There's people here running massive turbos with tunes and stock intercooler with no issues. If you got a "bigger" turbo then that's a bonus, without a tune it'll still run the same like the old one did and you won't notice anything

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
I wrote in caps for a total of 13 words out of like 400..the title showing urgency and the reply needed asap ...

And thanks

Last edited:

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
The supplied turbo, 713672 , will fit and work without any problems to the ALH engine.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
What frans said

and everytime you have a problem, half your title is in CAPS with exclamation marks making it seem like the world will end... like I said calm down and explain yourself without being so frantic... people will eventually not respond to you anymore if you don't

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
what frans said

and everytime you have a problem, half your title is in caps with exclamation marks making it seem like the world will end... Like i said calm down and explain yourself without being so frantic... People will eventually not respond to you anymore if you don't
+1 ........

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
911 How can i help U .. My supplier send me the wrong f'in turbo ,, and i need the right 1 now ,, along with side order if Meds. Just joking ,, but i know that gut wrenching feeling when you need to get the job done and u second guest what the supplier sent . And you emotions swirling into a vortex of Mr. Green Hulk. LOL.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If the supplier insists it's the correct turbo then trust them. Doing your own Google "research" will cause nothing but headache, especially when you have no idea what you are doing.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Again if people just gave an answer would be no problems. Dont need a grammar or life talk. Most answers are usually Blaine and not informative anyways. Again i can make another profile if need be :eek.... being insulting to someone using many words is no different than me saying middle finger to you. Like the "i need pills remark" no different...... clearly if its a big question and im using caps its for a reason with some urgency. I need a answer of reassurance or clarification fast, nothing else to add stress. Which is all u did.

You must be single.

The moderators can easy track you IP and find out when you just make a new profile and try to hide.

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
Yes some constructive criticism was negative , and i made joking fiasco of it,, and that didn't help,, on the other hand try not to come across in a cyber dramatic way , like in caps and you need 911 help,, that's the way it came across,, And set yourself up for some imperfect human traits to transpire.;)

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Again if people just gave an answer would be no problems. Dont need a grammar or life talk. Most answers are usually Blaine and not informative anyways. Again i can make another profile if need be :eek.... being insulting to someone using many words is no different than me saying middle finger to you. Like the "i need pills remark" no different...... clearly if its a big question and im using caps its for a reason with some urgency. I need a answer of reassurance or clarification fast, nothing else to add stress. Which is all u did.
I didn't insult you.. if what I originally wrote is an insult, you need to check what you've written to others in the past

And I did help you afterwords but instead you decided to focus on me telling you to calm down and not write in CAPS... like I said, people here will stop helping you at some point

Anyways dude best of luck but I won't be helping you anymore :rolleyes:

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
You are coming across like a teenager in a room full of men. I don't say that to insult you but to give you an honest assessment to reflect on. 2.2 was doing you a favour by giving you good advice. If you act like the sky is falling on every post then people will start to tune you out.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
I dont use a laptop but ok so no static ip to trace ???
Im Not hiding , i just dont need more issues. Just got questions that need answers most people answer them, some give opinions not answers. Sorry for using caps. I dont need to be told i need meds because my friggen daily driver is down and i need help FAST. So i used caps to get attention
Just a suggestion, if you want to get attention for an issue and need help fast, when posting a thread, choose the ! triangle icon. That will mark it as important. See the "2013 Tdi Passat - P0299 loss of power - Turbocharger" thread in the forums as an example.

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
You are coming across like a teenager in a room full of men. I don't say that to insult you but to give you an honest assessment to reflect on. 2.2 was doing you a favour by giving you good advice. If you act like the sky is falling on every post then people will start to tune you out.
I am also 20. Not an excuse but maybe itll give some enlightenment to my method of communicating

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Just a suggestion, if you want to get attention for an issue and need help fast, when posting a thread, choose the ! triangle icon. That will mark it as important. See the "2013 Tdi Passat - P0299 loss of power - Turbocharger" thread in the forums as an example.
Thanks i totally overlooked that

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
So i replaced the entire turbocharger/vacuum system. Every single option to change i changed it so im starting fresh as a new owner of the car..... Intercooler,n75,n18,solenoid for egr, egr valve, egr cooler, MAF, new lines, the turbo, new actuator, glow plugs, harness, vacuum pump/reservoir....
...I have 200km on the unit and all is well . Sounds like a mini semi as there is just the factory downpipe to the start of the flexpipe then its cut so, quiet loud compared to factory. ....

my only question is when im idle for several minutes the turbo spools faster as if its building 1 or 2 more psi and holds until i tap the throttle and it goes away, ive heard this is normal i just dont get why or what its doing.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
it is normal. it sounds like you have a factory tune and EGR system and everything that controls it is new. The EGR valve opens at idle for the first couple of minutes then it will close and with such an open exhaust I am quite sure that you will be able to hear it in the exhaust note.

are you planning on getting a Tune and EGR delete or just running it stock?

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
yes completely stock system, i thought that when the egr closes it kills the engine, wasn't that the whole point of the shut off valve that's hooked up the the vacuum system. it chokes it out???

my friend does tunes, hes going to be giving me a 30hp increase and 70ft/lbs,

ive read about the egr delete but haven't looked into it enough to understand much about the whole whys/ reasons to do it

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
EGR delete is to prevent the intake from getting clogged. The combination of soot from the recirculated exhaust and the oil from the crank case vent, combine to cause this. Oil vapors coat the inside of the intake tract. When the EGR opens and sooty exhaust flows through it, some of the soot sticks to the oily residue. Then, more oil is deposited, and more soot and so on and so on. After several years, the accumulation can get bad:

To answer your other point, the EGR and anti shudder valve are two separate functions built into the same mechanism. The butterfly valve inside the EGR is there or choke off the air when the engine is shut down. It has nothing to do with the EGR. That is controlled by a plunger that opens via a vacuum operated diaphragm. The EGR opens and closes all the time when the engine is running. Under load, when the turbo is providing boost, you want that plunger closed so the pressurised air goes into the intake and not out back into the exhaust. When idling or low load, the plunger opens to allow the exhaust gasses to recirculate back into the intake. You can hear a difference in the sound of the engine when the EGR valve opens and closes at idle.

Here is a picture of a clean EGR valve showing the butterfly valve and the plunger.

By doing an EGR delete, you can also modify your EGR to reduce the restriction in the intake by removing the plunger all together:

Be advised, that altering the emission controls is not legal. Do so at your own risk.

Last edited:

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Hey wingnut thanks for the in depth explanation. I read some of your ccv mods . Are they worth doing ? Do you still use the 3rd updated version oil filter to catch the oil mist before it enters the crank case ? If so i want to proceed using the 20 micron filters (hydraulic filters)and set something up. They dont have the 150 micron filter you used at princess 20 is the highest now i could find.

Does eliminating the oil mist risk not lubricating anything that should lubed due to the design of the ccv... or should there techniclly not be any oil mist in the system and with time and engine wear/ high km they develop these issues?

Lastly does doing the filter mod to "catch" the oil mist create pressure to the head at all / ccv or actually eliminate pressure when it should be there ?
I would imagine just either eliminating the oil mist or eliminating the egr system (one or the other) would eliminate the soot buildup. As 1 compliments the ither with the issue . No oil..... nothing for dirty exhaust to stick to ???

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I didn't bother running any type of CCV catch on my last car. I just deleted the EGR. As you mentioned, eliminate 1 or the other and you eliminate the problem.