The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
sorry about posting that I thought I had deleted it when I realized that they were 100% different.

FYI my local VW dealer often works on european VW because of all the NATO forces that are located in Virginia Beach/Norfolk. As long at you have proof that the car is legally here they can order parts from europe. You might want to try ordering them through either your dealer or try contacting Bud (Parts Manager) at Checkered Flag VW. He is very well known on the vortex for his VW enthusiast support.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Confirmed! Rock Auto has the water pump. They also have a timing belt kit but I'm not sure its any good. Anyone hear of "Dayco"?

I can get the timing components locally but for a lot more money.

Also, QUINTON HAZELL - its 36 bucks for the water pump vs 200+ from VW or 100 shipped from UK(also QUINTON HAZELL).

Jon

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Dayco is a good belt. its an upgrade for the ALH that costs more money.

its unfortunate that you can only get a 60k mile timing system for that engine. but with such a rare beast, its probably worth it.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I was going to do the EGR delete but I decided to wait because i don't want to tune it yet and I heard that limp mode is randomly induced by removing the EGR stuff. I didn't do it because I noticed where the cooling lines went, it looks like one goes to the heater core and one goes to the block, do I pull the one off the block and one off the EGR and take the one from the EGR to the heater core and connect it to the block?

Thanks,
Jon

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
I love the pass side mirror on these Passats. My buddy has a 1.8 t wagon with the stubby mirror and the blue glass. Nice ride.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks for posting that link! I'm definitely going to print that out to go with the records on this.
I have a copy of the original purchase receipt at $24,000 even.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I put about 400 miles on it and averaged 42mph, most of the driving was above 70mph on the freeway. I did one trip around 60 and averaged 46ish.

Jon

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The B5 is more aerodynamic then the similar golf / jetta, hence why that car was EPA rated at 50, while the 99.5 jetta was rated at "just" 48. It is heaver though so the city mpg suffers.

-J

Sugarkryptonite

TDI
None
The B5 is more aerodynamic then the similar golf / jetta, hence why that car was EPA rated at 50, while the 99.5 jetta was rated at "just" 48. It is heaver though so the city mpg suffers.

-J
Yup

The smooth lines, heavily raked windscreens, and smooth underpinnings helped give the B5 Passat an low coefficient of drag, rated at 0.27 (saloon model).
Even the C6 Corvette has a coefficient of 0.28 :D Makes me sorta proud...I'm just missing about 200-300hp.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Project update:

So I got some parts, timing belt, window regulator panel and coolant reservoir. I emptied the water from the previous flush, added new for a new flush, drove it around the block and warmed it up, then parked it so I could work on the regulator panel(which i screwed up in the process of trying to fix the locks).

I got most of that done, window back in, etc. lock functioned properly but I pulled on the handle and got nothing, as if it was locked still, but the plunger is up and everything seems right except it doesn't work. I fiddled with it from the inside and out(with window down) and pop, it opens, then it opens and closes fine.

Previous to this, the whole reason I had it apart is that it wouldn't lock, it would go half way down then back up, whether you hit the lock button or push down on the knob, on top of that the key spun in the door. I took care of that but now it won't open. So I have a project for myself, again, take the window out and regulator panel out and hopefully fix that thing!

Tomorrow my water pump should arrive, ECS still hasn't shipped my order which is the rest of the timing stuff and a few other misc parts.
Rock auto called me today and they said they searched their warehouses and have no more serp tensioners and discontinued them. I've got a couple messages out to people.

I also talked to Malone tuning, sounds like I can go as high as stage 3 without much for supporting equipment(I do plan on getting some/most of it if I go this high). He had no issues with the ECU number but wasn't too familiar with the car or layout(longitudinal). I'll have to shop around and see what else is available.

Jon

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Jon, I think I'd stick with a stock tune to start with and get all the issues fixed. Then after the car is mechanically solid again then consider the tune. I think as your car is really unique, you need to tread more conservatively.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Jon, I think I'd stick with a stock tune to start with and get all the issues fixed. Then after the car is mechanically solid again then consider the tune. I think as your car is really unique, you need to tread more conservatively.
X2 stock witheverything detailed out and clean with no leaks. that is what will impress people at VW/TDI gtgs & TDIFest next year when you bring it out :)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You're probably right, I wouldn't mind having a little extra power... nozzles and a tune won't really change anything... I'm not planning on swapping turbos anytime soon.

Question: do you really think it'll ever be worth anything to anyone more than normal?

I'm still deciding what to do with everything, I really want to put GLX trim and seats in it, all black but I can't figure out if it'd be worth something to keep it the same, or even better to fix it up(its pretty bad inside).

Any input would be appreciated it.

Thanks,
Jon

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is probably some bone yard that has the interior from a gasser passat. I would asusme that the 98-00 passat will be the same pretty much. I was looking at your seats and they really look like the same design on my passat and mine is a 2005. I do know of a terrific interior upholstery place that could redo those front leather seats. PM me if you want to know. This place does great work for a ultra reasonable price.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm working on a new door right now for the rear left, any idea if the panel that is the rear left fender that goes above the doors is replaceable? mine has some damage and I'd like to replace it, I possibly have a donor(same as the door).

The seats are very similar, they would swap. most of the B5.5 seats are "leatherette" while these I believe are leather.

Thanks,
Jon

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have found in my travels a number of vendors (usually mobile) who can replace just one leather panel, usually in the car. Much preferable to replacing the entire seat with leatherette...

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
KFettig, yours is leather. If it were leatherette it would have perforation holes. I'd say start looking. There's gotta be a toeffed B5 or B5.5 with leather in your color SOMEWHERE.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
JFettig, yours is leather. If it were leatherette it would have perforation holes. I'd say start looking. There's gotta be a toeffed B5 or B5.5 with leather in your color SOMEWHERE.
Yup, the door I got is off one with the same leather, except he sold it all already. I'm glad I didn't give him any more business, kind of burned me on the door and gave me the run around. At least the metal is in super nice condition. I'll see if the junk yard is open on monday that lists a number of B5 passats to see if they have anything for me.

BTW, ECS Tuning gets two HUGE thumbs DOWN.
I ordered all my stuff from them last Friday. the order status states that its waiting for one or more parts, half the parts I ordered stated 1-3 days until it ships, its been more than 1-3 days so I called and their response "Uh, the tensioner is back ordered and we don't know when it'll get here". I'm done with them unless I need something desperately. It has always taken 2-4 days for them to even get my stuff out their door but when its on back order and they don't know when they'll get it in and they don't notify their customer, that is unacceptable. So there goes a week.

I e-mailed a salesman at world impex asking if they had the stuff in stock and I got a reply immediately(from his phone) saying that he'd check on it first thing in the morning. AND their prices are better, all my stuff(OEM stuff substituted for some no name ecs stuff) costs 15 bucks more on the order of $200. I also asked him about the brands of their "GERMAN" stuff to save me about 20-30 bucks.

turned my good day into a headache.

I am rushing this project too much, I need to take it easy, I would love to be able to drive this car until snow files.

I think that unless I find a nice interior in the stock color at a reasonably cheap price, I'm going to go black, I really think green/black with dark 50/40% tint would look great.

I've decided that this car will never be high enough value to justify not getting what I want for it. by high enough, not a whole lot more than a 1.8T/30V Passat. That and I hope to put many miles on it.

Does anyone know if it is standard that both rear seats fold down? Mine do in this one and in my 2000 GLX 4mo, neither do.

Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yes that's should work.

Or, remove both hoses at the EGR cooler connetors and install a palstic U-connector to connect the two hosses.
Thanks for clearing that up, that is what I assumed.

Does the vac line just get plugged on the EGR valve?(again, I'm assuming this too).

Not sure how soon I'll do it, I might try it and hope I don't go into limp mode and reverse it if I do.

Thanks,
Jon

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I learned a thing or three. After struggling to get my door open again, I crawled in from the passenger side, disassembled the door then popped it open. turns out I could have gotten it open real quick from the outside.
This is how I had the cable hooked up, its too tight, it acted like someone was pulling on the handle while unlocking the door.

This is what it should look like(maybe a hair tighter)

Next, when pulling out or putting the lock cylinder in, try not to knock this piece out like I did.

it rotates with a little screw in the end that allows the lock cylinder to be installed or removed.
I pulled the lock out of the passenger side and put it in the drivers side(someone put a new lock in the drivers side to fix the door latch/lock) and found that there was metal in the way making it only work on the passenger side. There is an easy fix for that.

The door latch just needed to come apart, re-align some levers and put it back together, after the blunders above it appears to work!

I also got my new door installed, the car is starting to look good! those nasty dents really made it look bad.
The back glass is tinted darker than the rest, I'll either swap it or tint the rest to match.

I also did my fourth flush, the 3rd one was still green(supposedly he used green "universal" antifreeze").

Thats all for tonight.

Jon

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Thanks for clearing that up, that is what I assumed.

Does the vac line just get plugged on the EGR valve?(again, I'm assuming this too).

Not sure how soon I'll do it, I might try it and hope I don't go into limp mode and reverse it if I do.

Thanks,
Jon

Your welcome.

Yes, you could do that by using a vacuum cap and fasten it with a spring clamp for easier removal.

I don't know for sure if it'll or it won't go into a limp mode. I wonder if you need to use VAGCOMP to prevent the "LIMP" mode?

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
well, I decided to do the EGR Delete because I got bored today, I'm glad I did. I haven't tested it yet because all the auto parts stores were closed by the time I got far enough into it to realize that I need to tie those two coolant lines together rather than swap the hose to the block, the one on the block is ~25mm and the EGR cooler are 20mm.
Tomorrow I'll get an elbow or U to tie those together so I can test it out and see if it goes into limp mode.
In the process of doing all of this work, I cleaned up the air box real good, the snow screen was even nastier than I thought, it was probably 50% clogged, even though I sucked all the gunk out of it, the screen itself was clogged.

I also found that the turbo bolts onto the exhaust, I thought the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing on these were 1 piece? Mine has three bolts, it actually looks like a VNT1749VA from a B5.5 will bolt right up.

Here are a few pics:

Coolant has been flushed and now there is G12 in there, all it needs is a timing job and its ready to go.

Jon

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
After stopping at every auto parts store and hardware store in town, none even have a 7/8" hose barb, I made a straight thru 20mm union, I'll chop the hose from the heater core and splice it into the hose that goes to the block. I ran the car without the EGR and it worked great, I had to use the EGR cooler to tie the coolant lines together but will put this guy in soon.

not sure if I'll anodize it yet, I'll see if there is a batch going out tomorrow.

Jon