Injection pump test

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
I have a 01 alh. I’m trying to test my injection pump. I’ve heard of a farmers test but have no idea what it is lol

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
If your car wont start and your worried that the injection pump might not be giving it fuel then you loosen the fuel lines at the injectors and see if it squirts as you have a helper crank it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Bosch will sell you a test bench... I think they are around $100,000 but not sure.

Why not tell us what your specific issue is or why you are asking such a vague question without context?

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Sorry should’ve been more specific. I am new to the threads. My issue is I’m getting white smoke and every once in a while a misfire around 3000 RPMs. If I do a diesel purge it will clear up but it will come back. I have had my injectors pressure tested clean and pop tested.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
White smoke is very often a sign of air getting into the fuel system... are there any bubbles in the clear section of fuel line on the return from the pump?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
start with the basics.

1) What is the state of your cam-crank timing?
2) Is your static IP timing close?
3) Is your IP primed?

#1 verify that your cam and crank have #1 at TDC at the same time
#2 with the #1 piston at TDC, how close is IP to TDC? You don't need to have the pin insert but you need to at least have the holes overlap somewhat.
#3 As coolairvw suggested, crack one injector line and crank the engine...fuel should spurt up ~1ft.

HTH

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
White smoke is a cold startup issue. That is, if you can differentiate between blue smoke (oil) and white diesel stinky smoke. it's not so unusual and will go away in the first few seconds. If that is what is happening, it's a injector that is leaking. First few seconds of startup, the teaspoon of fuel that leaked into the combustion bowl will blow out in a white cloud.

The second issue, stumbling at 3,000rpm, is more likely an overfueling issue, either bad injector or the injection quantity on the pump is set for too much fuel. Probably both.

When you say you had your injectors 'pressure tested', my first question is 'how many miles on them? Original? Manual or Automatic? Who tested them? Did they check the 'leak down'?

I agree, it takes a fairly good test bench (maybe not $100k) to determine if a pump is good or not, but truthfully, the engine running with a VCDS is your first and cheapest 'test bench'. Many faults on a pump can be determined with VCDS and without a diesel shop involved.

Since it is unlikely you have VAG-COM, you will need some help. Check out the 101 section for VAG-COM locator. OR spend some money with a shop that knows how to use the VCDS or equivalent.

The first test is to determine what your pump and injector are actually doing. For example, timing, Injection Quantity, Idle Balance, fuel economy, how stable is the timing on the graph... those are things you are not going to get without equipment to look at your ECU. Otherwise, you are shooting in the dark.

Not sure I've seen white smoke due to a filter issue. What's the issueis if it's the EGR delete?

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I guess muskrat is off at the pond... got to read it to get any good out of it.

I looked to see what injectors Mr Muskrat has.. DLC 1019's. We popularized that number when we sold about 800 pieces of BOSCH 1019/955 nozzles. I can't really draw a comparison between the dlc nozzles and Bosch.

But if you want to avoid melted out pistons, you will either fix your leaking/ overfueling nozzles or suffer the consequence. I don't suppose you have any fuel economy numbers, do you?

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
I’m sorry guys got busy with wedding stuff just got married woo hoo!! Lol but it’s only at 3krpms. now it starts to blow white stinky smoke if I let it sit and idle. was getting 50mpg now only 44mpg all vag-com readings are stable and in spec. If I do a diesel purge or run diesel injector cleaner in it it stops temporarily. My injectors were leak tested,pressure tested , pop tested and then cleaned by J.G. Parks in marydel md. Manual transmission conversion 325k on the car. I have not changed the injectors only nozzles. I am not sure if past owners had them replaced or not. Egr delete

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
White smoke when cold is diesel. White (actually blue) smoke when idling is going to be a bit more of an aggravation... it's an oil control ring. Usually you can spot it if you run the car for lots of idle smoke, then turn it off and remove the cylinder head. Yeah, you have to pull the head. It's a ring issue. The offending cylinder will usually have a lot more of a wet look on the piston crown.

As a matter of fact, I had exactly this same issue when the #2 oil control ring got all gummed up and quit working at about 240,000 miles. It would get great economy and run hard and fast, but was a mosquito-killer at idle and low city driving speed. It would burn no oil at highway speeds. That's oil control ring classic symptom.

With my own, I replaced all the piston rings, ball honed the cylinders and did some of my 'fix up' stuff, like a Stage II cam, ported head, I like the 502 Firad nozzles against a VNT-17 turbo, Stage 3 or 4 tune... it's fun but not crazy.

Oh, but now that you have a wife, you can't have a performance car. You know, that's part of their rules, right?

TurboJettaIV

TDI
Jetta 4 AHF/ALH
Hi guys, anyone have some info what the voltage values should be on the injection pump plug while testing? I'm getting a 0.31v reading on a brown and black wire and quantity adjuster is not moving at all.