Well, it happened again. The 4th total loss on the same car

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
My MkIII just experienced it's 4th total loss due to collision, none of them were my fault. I think I'm a pretty good driver, I've easily logged 750,000 miles in my life, but this particular car is some kind of crap magnet.

The first accident was due to the previous owner, sliding on the ice and hitting a concrete barrier. The passenger side fender, steering and suspension components as well as the front bumper cover were destroyed. I bought the car and did a complete restoration with a parts car. That was at about 160k.

The second accident, a Jeep Cherokee ran a red light and hit the driver's side quarter panel. This totaled it (again) and I haggled the insurance up to $4,100. Mind you, this was right after I finished paintwork and had the car perfect. New turbo, rebuilt head, gaskets, etc, etc... (son of a *****) Since it was totalled, it received a salvage title. It was too much work to fix, so I pocketed the cash and intended to replace the car. To get me by I hammered out the damage and used gaffer tape to affix a tail light until I could source a new car, that was at 198k.

The third accident was when I was getting on the interstate, a 2 lane on ramp. A brand new lifted redneck style Duramax was in the lane next to me. Suddenly he swerved into my lane and smacked the driver's side of my car. He jumped out of the truck and said "Woah, sorry man! I was adjusting my GPS!" It left rubber swirls and scratched the whole side of the car. My only joy was that my mirror left a crease in his truck from behind the front headlight all the way back along the bed. It was a work truck and they decided to settle, I got $500 cash for that. That was at about 235k.

The fourth accident was last Tuesday. I was going through an intersection with a green light and a 17 year old girl pulled out in front of me in a 2014 Imprezza. I left rubber about 15 feet long on the road before hitting her door at approximately 45mph. Her car flew off the right side of the road, my car flew off the left and ended up in opposing traffic lane. Both front airbags deployed and I ended up in the ER. Interesting, because the airbag light burned out 3 years ago because I could never figure out the airbag code.

Upon inspection of the damage, the camber was thrown out of wack at the camber adjustment point, the 2 bolts on the strust. The strut and knuckle unscathed. I reset the camber. The tie rod was bent, but I bent it back into place. The CV was pushed into the subframe and bent, so I replaced that. The transmission output flanges are operational and nothing appears to be out of order there. The sway bar link was pulled through the control arm, so I lost a bushing and washer. I bought a new sway bar link and installed it yesterday. The control arm is a little tweaked, but I think it will align just fine.

The car has 266k on it now and just refuses to die. The car is so beat up, rusted... it's just a jalopy. But I love it. It's a solid car, I'd get it in right now and drive it across the country without a worry. I'm not sure why, but it's a crap magnet. Regardless, I will never buy a red car again, because Christine was red. I only wish this car would repair itself like Christine does. Tomorrow I am going to the junkyard to get two airbags, a headlight and a 14" steel wheel.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I know EXACTLY what your problem is.......... Your car is what I like to call "hit me red". My uncle owned a Dakota that was in 4 separate accidents under his ownership. All 4 accidents were not his fault, heck 2 of the accidents were animals accidents. One was a car/deer the other was a car/stray dog. Also, my wife has a " hit me red" Fusion, its been in 3 accidents under her ownership and none were her fault. The most interesting one was when a box truck stopped in the middle of the road, she stopped behind it, and the box truck reverses into her front bumper. She couldn't move because there was another car behind her. She blasted her horn and it made zero difference...

I will say that the paint job looks DAMN GOOD still!!!

Last edited:

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Don't forget to replace the air bag trip switch, pretty sure it's a one-time use only item. I know it has a proper name but can't think of it atm.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Why not put the car to REST?
I've been looking for a replacement car for 3 years, and none so far have satisfied me. The only suitable replacement for this car is another MkIII or B4 TDI. I love the way the car drives, I love the engine sound and powerband, I love how easy it is to work on. I just can't let it go yet. I obviously take no pride in the car, but I don't drive it because of what I want other people to think about it. Other than that, it has a great AC, awesome stereo, still gets 47mpg, a comfortable interior... why would I let it rest? This car still owes me another 100k after all the damn money I put into it pre accident.

At this point, it's more of a dynasty... I have to keep it going. Everyone wants me to get rid of it and that just makes me want to keep it even more. I did try to sell it on here for a donor car, but nobody was interested in the price I felt the parts were worth, so I'll just drive it until the wheels fall off, or a 5th accident permanently disables it... hopefully I'm not disabled with it.

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
Wow,
What a saga! I hope you never get hurt in the Jetta. It is a pretty red clear coat on there. I have two B4's I could just sell them both because of the work they need. I insist on keeping them both. I think it's because of all the work I already put in them!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
If the strut towers and floorboards are solid,get the parts and fix it up. Just hope it didn't tweak anything on the A/C system......

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
At this point, it's more of a dynasty... I have to keep it going. Everyone wants me to get rid of it and that just makes me want to keep it even more. ... so I'll just drive it until the wheels fall off, or a 5th accident permanently disables it... hopefully I'm not disabled with it.
I like that typeof thinking. ;)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Red TDIs of that vintage are definitely crap magnets.
My first a pearl red B4 sedan was a total loss, as was my third a tornado red B4 wagon.
Each was lost when a driver at a stop on a side street to the right pulled out from the stop as I approached on the through street.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Can you say "duc tape"?!??

Seriously, I think you should get a can of paint, the color of your choice, and make it a rolling billboard to all the VW haters out there!
Multiple different statements e.g., "4 totals, none my fault, and still runs like a top lol"! "DON'T HIT ME (AGAIN)!" (yeah in bold), "So, you think your car is tough?", "Take that Volvo and MBZ"...
You get the idea!!
Insert any pertinent smiles of your choice also for local color!!!
BTW, my B4 isn't for sale haha!!!

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
If the strut towers and floorboards are solid,get the parts and fix it up. Just hope it didn't tweak anything on the A/C system......
It's really funny you should mention that. The only thing that was broken was the pressure switch on the dryer. The exact same part that was broken in the first accident with teh previous owner.

Red TDIs of that vintage are definitely crap magnets.
Even funnier is that I rolled a 1998 Jetta GLX when I was 19. It was the first car I bought myself after high school. That one had 40k on it and was totally destroyed. And yep, Tornado Red.

The total loss department offered me a lot more than what I thought it was worth, almost as much as I wanted to sell it for. I'm going to have to get it inspected again, so who knows if it will even pass. Honestly, I'll probalby buy it back and do a swap sometime this summer. I found a few Golfs on the classifieds, I might just try to find a GLX so I have the cable shift and hydro clutch. That'd be an easy weekend swap.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's amazing... the little red Jetta that just won't quit! Props to you for keeping it alive despite the odds being against it. :)

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I got the old airbags out, the control box and put the interior back together. Really weird was it looked like the airbag in the steering wheel leaked when it deployed. There was a plastic like material that had leaked out right at the connector, gluing the plug into the airbag. I had to break it to remove, resulting in the need for a new clock spring. The passenger side airbag had the same connector and it didn't happen on that one. Weird.

The result from the junkyard.

Interesting. The steering wheel airbag was made in Germany by Temic. The passenger side was made by Autoliv, just a short drive from where I live. Interesting. It must have been some kind of north american compliance or something.

Not sure how I feel about this, but oh well.

Back together. No comment on the Schweppes, please... it was a hangover day.

Back together and driving, less a headlight.

So, a success story I guess. Except that spending a week in the 300D really made me realize just how wore out and shot the car is. I think I've lost my fire with this car, so I think it's back on the market. First $1,000 takes it, drive it home (at your own peril). I have a spare 1Z, B4 cluster and matching ECU and TDI 02a transmission that I'll throw in. $1,500 for it all.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Sorry to hear you're letting her go. I would think her track record of raking in insurance money would be great!!! The more you get hit the more cash coming in?

As for the ruined clock spring, they do that when they deploy. They essentially melt and can't be used again, a replacement is always required.

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I did try to sell it on here for a donor car, but nobody was interested in the price I felt the parts were worth
During the 2-3 months I was having coolant problems, not knowing if my A3 was about to drop dead, I had your ad in one of my browser tabs. The new head gasket ended that.

I wasn't even in the market for one, when I randomly checked CL last week and scored a cheap, "wrecked" A3 (same color as mine). I figured I would just strip the major parts and scrap the chassis, but after seeing it in the daylight, and driving it 30 miles home, I decided to throw $200-300 into her and keep her. Plus the $100 windshield, when the unsecured hood flipped up at 40mph just 2 miles down the road.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
Where did you score a $100 windshield my b4 they quoted me $300+....

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
LA area. Lots of junk yards rent some space out to window guys, stereo guys, locksmiths.

I turned down the first offer, a mile after it broke, of $120 new (but for you, $110 my friend) or $85 used. Stopped at another place on the way home & got it $95 new.

I got my B4 done for $70 a couple yrs back too. The guy was relieved to finally get rid of it, after sitting in his inventory for 3 years.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I just found this when (getting paid to) scouring the internet: http://www.autobase.com/cgi/info.exe?bc=5494900&dealer=midwayas It is a RED 1996 B4 that has the gasoline engine but has 61,000 MILES! Buy it and repower it with the TDI. 60,000 MILES! Thing looks like new.
Wow...that actually looks pretty nice for a 96 although I think I can see a little rust at the driver door back edge and there's something going on with the driver side rear wheel opening that might be rust too.

All in all though that would end up being a decent conversion. Better to find a VR wagon with a roached six cylinder though.

Steve