Guru in Aurora, Colorado?

billo14

TDI
2005 jetta tdi auto/stick
Steve Carroll of Aurora, CO is listed as a TDI guru, but no further details in how to reach. Does anyone have additional info so I could contact Steve?

My issue is the Check Engine Light came on about 300 miles South of Denver coming North on I-25. Just steady illumination, not flashing. The owners manual seemed to be saying it was OK to continue our trip.

In reading other threads about the CEL, it seems it should be checked prior to going back to Arizona. I'd rather see a guru versus going to an area dealer.

Details of my TDI ..... 2005 jetta with 47K miles. To date, oil changes, two fuel filter changes, brake fluid change after two years, air filter, and cabin filter are the only items that I have had done, and those were at the dealer (except air filters). Plans now are to have all work done at a Phoenix guru's shop.

My plan is to have the car checked before hitting the road again, and I have next week to get that accomplished. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I might be up against? What I should not do, etc.?

billo14

TDI
ymz, thanks for the information on Steve. He has not replied as yet.

However, when I searched the CEL (check engine light, for those like me who don't know all these acronyms), I found the suggestion to go to AutoZone for a check of the issue by AutoZone's personnel. I did that, and they gave me a report "ECT (engine coolant temperature) circuit", probably cause of connector and wiring, or sensor open or short - replace sensor". AutoZone agreed I should check with the dealer on Monday.

And, when I left AutoZone and started the car, the CEF light was off.

I don't believe there is a problem of any consequence, thus I may check with a dealer here in CO, or I may not do so until returning to Arizona.

Bottomline, this blog solved my problem with their advice.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Where you driving up a grade at speed when the CEL went off or just after going up a grade ?? IF the water system is over filled and the engine is put under extreme strain like climbing a steep grade @ speed there isn't enough room for coolant so the relief valve on the coolant cap opens . When ever this happens that code is thrown .

Also if you have taller than spec wheels or tires on the car or have changed to a taller 5th gear this extra strain can cause an over pressure in the water system while driving in high altitude Colorado .

How does the coolant level look ??

Can you see any coolant residue around or under the bottle ??

Our water temp gauges are just a fancy "idiot" light , they don't give anything close to actual water temp while driving . There can be a 20-30* F swing without that gauge moving at all .

With you throwing this code I wouldn't make that drive back without a ScanGauge II or something similar to watch actual temp . With you monitoring real time water temps if you start to see a rise above normal you can let up before the pressure relief valve opens saving a head gasket . By the time the water temp gauge ( idiot light ) starts to move it's too late ..........

You can/should also monitor actual boost with a SacnGauge II on MAP setting or something similar which can also save you from major repair up here in Colorado .

Driving Up here at 5,000-11,000 ft on our highways At speed can cause problems never seen anywhere else . The thin air cools less efficiently and puts boost controls to a test they never have anywhere else .

I pruchased a ScanGauge II a few years ago and haven't had to replace a head gasket since . I have mine set to rpm , MAP( for actual boost of above static minus static idle pressure , static idle map is 11.9-12.6 psig up here in the Denver area ) , water temp C* & actual adjusted mph .

billo14

TDI
I'd better stop and see a dealer then.

Being just under 48K miles, which is the original warranty, does this sound like warranty work? I would think so, but want to be prepared if I have to argue with the dealer about it.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
The engine/drivetrain has a 50k mile warranty.

The dealer should cover it...

Tony

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
It could be as simple as the boost control wasn't adjusted yet to high altitude causing a water system over pressure then the ECU took back control .

Like I said your boost control is taxed up here like no where else , lower ambient atmo pressure means the must ECU throttle down , must reduce max boost at a lower over all pressure to advert danger . If the ECU asked for a throttle down and didn't get it right away you could have an over pressure of the water system quickly @ speed under load . If you came over the Raton pass just before Trinidad and didn't let up or one of several afterwords and didn't let up and boost control wasn't working perfectly out goes the water .

The strain of this might have fixed the issue so nothing further might need be done .

But having this happen once I WOULD NOT MAKE THAT DRIVE BACK WITHOUT A ScanGauge II or something similar . ~$150 spent to save a $4k engine isn't much . Not much spent to save you further trouble at some point down the line . Easy to use/ read and easy to let up if you see something out of the ordinary before something is broken $$$$$$$$$$$$ .

I would also buy a couple of 1 L bottles of G12 just to have if this isn't the end of this .

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
$4K engine....? Try $6500 for a crate motor. Plus labor. From VW the short block is $4K plus a $2.5K core charge.