What to look for when purchasing a used JSW or MKVI TDI

coop442s

TDI
None :(
Hey y'all,

I am in the process of selling my full size SUV and after the sale I am going to be in the market for a new (to me) car. I have narrowed it down to a VW TDI and am currently focused on the JSW and MKVI Jetta. The JSW would be my first choice as it allows me to keep most of the cargo room that my SUV has but nearly triple the mpg.

There are several for sale locally and the two that are closest to my budget and withing a few hundred of each other. They are a 2010 Silver with 60,000 miles loaded with tan leather, NAV, and Sunroof and a red 2011 with 110,000 with tan leather, NAV, and sunroof. The 2011 says in its description that it has a 10 year/160,000 extended warranty from VW (assuming this is part of the Dieselgate fix).

There is also a 2013 Jetta that is a black on black leather with nav and sunroof that has 127,000 miles on it that I am considering because of its listed price is nearly two thousand less than the JSWs.

Is there anything special I should watch for on higher mileage JSW and MKVI TDIs mechanically or body wise (sunroof leaks)? I am only considering the DSG as I spend a good bit of time in slow moving stop-and-go traffic.

Thank you!
Michael

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Stay away from sunroofs unless you enjoy the smelly interior after the leak starts..... JSW are the best... cargo room and it can accept almost anything to shove in there. Heck, I did even shove an 1967 mustang 302 motor in my old 2011 JSW and she handled it just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coop442s

TDI
With the sunroof, is it a design flaw?

I've had a few vehicles with sunroofs in the past (including my current Tahoe) and have not had any problems with leaks. However I've always stayed on top of maintaining them, keep drain tubes cleared, keeping seals treated with silicone weatherstrip conditioner and cleaning and re-lubing the tracks once a year.

Michael

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Well as long as you know how, you will be fine. Others do not, hence massive headaches for them. I don’t know much about sunroofs plus sensitive eyes so I avoid them at all costs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The pano roofs on these seems to be more troublesome. Lots of posts about them leaking or coming off track and then not being usable. One of the reasons I didn't go with the pano roof in my JSW is that they are heatsinks in our part of the world. The shade does not cut the sun enough to reduce the heat build up.

I don't remember the JSW having leather in any of the trim levels. Thought they were all leatherette, or perforated vinyl. It is quite comfortable and not quite as sticky on bare skin in our nice southern heat.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I don't remember the JSW having leather in any of the trim levels. Thought they were all leatherette, or perforated vinyl. It is quite comfortable and not quite as sticky on bare skin in our nice southern heat.

This is correct. This is the only JSW TDI seating option. No cloth. No leather.

coop442s

TDI
Thank you for the information on the Pano roof. Unfortunately all the TDIs coming on the market in my area right now seem to be the ones VW fixed and all seem to be the TDI with the Navigation package which I think came with the sunroof, correct?

Also thank you for the heads up on the seats, I had a feeling they weren't true leather. I don't mind vinyl, but also won't be fooled into paying extra for it being billed as leather.

I expect on the two that I am looking at with over 100,000 that both will need a TB service and the DSG fluid changed. Are there any other maintenance items that need to be addressed around that time? Regardless which of the vehicles I get I will do a full fluid change (oil, coolant, DSG, brake) and change the filters (air, fuel, cabin air) so I have a start point for all my fluids and filters.

Michael

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
You are on the right track. Hmm I cant recall about Navi and sunroof combined. I believe you are right, once Navi comes, sunroof comes with it automatically. I think it is stupid. But too late. They are already built. My JSW and old JSW don’t have navi hence no sunroof. I don’t mind because I have Garmin GPS. They are very accurate and reliable and easy to update.

Hydesmith

TDI
2011 Sportwagen (Highline)
I too am poised to buy one of the two very similar vehicles in the above mentioned category. Both are 2011 Highline models with most of the fancy options, including the big glass roof. One is a DSG, with 114K km, the other is a manual with 94K km.

Thanks for the heads up on the potential drawbacks of the big sunroof. In our very cold winters, I would have different concerns, and it may be blocked (visually) for much of winter with a ski box anyway. It sure feels roomier in the back with that glass ceiling. My daughter said it reduced her feeling of car sickness, which makes sense.

The DSG will have higher maintenance costs, but at least that car is local, while the manual one is located at a dealer 1200 km away, so that is playing a role in my decision as well. I've never owned an automatic, but can appreciate the convenience especially with city driving.

Thoughts, anyone?

BTW, my 'TDI guy' says that older model built-in navigation in cars without constant updating is less valuable, with so many people relying on their phones. For simple navigation I think it is still safer, being thought through by the designers to be helpful without distracting for safety. It may not give you immediate live traffic updates, and occasionally you will encounter changes in the road network that reveals its lack of accuracy, but there are likely always ways to get updates, and they are probably more accurate than your old paper maps in the glove box. Of course I always suggest you have the paper maps. They never break down. Our main road networks are pretty stable, with few surprises (aside from traffic and construction), even with old maps, paper or digital.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
coop442s and Hydesmith, You're both on the right path on thinking of full fluid changes when you pick it up. The timing belt is due at 120k miles and dsg fluid is every 60k miles.

In the features menu, the nav was only offered on the top of the line models in the US. The pano roof came in as the second step up. If I were in the market for a different wagen, I would be looking for the manual since I have nothing right now that has three pedals.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, I was confused because they did the fix and all the standard maintenance around 120k miles. I was thinking that was only the second time the DSG fluid had been flushed but it was the third.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The timing belt interval was lengthened to 130k miles on '11 and newer 2 L tdi's.

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
bear in mind that jetta sedans from 2009 to 2013 dont have independent rear suspension. not sure that matters to you or not. the JSWs will have IRS.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Don't get all bent over the sunroof. Some but relatively few had serious issues. Sounds like your on top of that kinda stuff so don't avoid it. If it's a heat sink, put some window tint on the roof panels... works perfectly. I think it's a great option for me.
CM- if you "don't know much about sunroofs", then why opine like you do.

All of the tdi's have a varying degree of extended warranty depending upon year and fix date. The low mileage 2010 has one too. google. the VW extended warranty

The first best thing you can do is verify the maintenance intervals via carfax, etc. Find one that someone babied.

Hydesmith

TDI
2011 Sportwagen (Highline)
I too am poised to buy one of the two very similar vehicles in the above mentioned category.
Later, I did buy the 2011 with the DSG. Love the pano roof, so far. My dealer says do NOT open it when the temp is below freezing, which is basically October to April here. I'm sure we will enjoy the extra light all winter though.