Window fix ,VW offers "extended warranty"

2003golfGLS

Just and FYI. I saw this in today's Boston Herald:

"Volkswagen said yesterday that it has offered about 850,000 customers in the United States an extended seven-year warranty on window parts that could malfunction on some cars.
A clamp in the doors of the affected cars could malfunction and prevent windows from being raised or lowered.
Volkswagen said it will install new window clamps for free.
The Warranty extension in not a recall. The warranty covers the 1998-2002 New Beetle and 1998-2002 Golfs, GTIs and Jettas."

southtdi

Veteran Member
I've been reading this. My question is this. Does the regulator have to be broken before they will replace it or can i just make an appoinment and get both doors done. They already did my Jetta and eventhough we have never had any windows problems in the NB it would be nice to go ahead and get this fixed since we are going to have this car for quite a long time.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Originally posted by southtdi:
I've been reading this. My question is this. Does the regulator have to be broken before they will replace it or can i just make an appoinment and get both doors done.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It sounds like it has to be broken before a fix will be done for free.

paschalini

Veteran Member
Fixing the window prior to breakage probably varies by dealer. Our local dealer will be replacing our passenger side window on Monday as a preventative measure, at no charge. Note that we've had the drivers side replaced twice after they broke.

Piedpiper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Black
My dealer fixed my window clips while they were replacing the tranny.
Also they suggested to call VW Cust Service about work on driver's window last year;
I did, they researched; told me to send invoice ($302)
and they will reimburse me - now I'm waiting with fingers crossed!

[ November 11, 2002, 06:56: Message edited by: Piedpiper ]