Kenwood Double Din

Hotelevator

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So please don’t hate on me I am still new to these cars. My car is a 15 Passat TDi SE with Navigation. The factory head unit is failing, it has trouble keeping a bluetooth connection, the music will stop playing and a shrill sound will come from the speakers and of course the Navigation is needing a software update. Well instead of paying the dealer whatever amount it would be to fix the issues I wanted to replace the radio with a larger touch screen so I did the install and followed the instructional video but I couldn’t get the new radio to turn on, today (Mon the 4th) I put the factory radio back in and it won’t turn on either. After checking all the fuses I am guessing the dealer would have to turn my radio back on via computer programming. Is this true? Also has anyone on here done an aftermarket double din and if so how did you install it? Thanks for any replies!

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
So please don’t hate on me I am still new to these cars. My car is a 15 Passat TDi SE with Navigation. The factory head unit is failing, it has trouble keeping a bluetooth connection, the music will stop playing and a shrill sound will come from the speakers and of course the Navigation is needing a software update. Well instead of paying the dealer whatever amount it would be to fix the issues I wanted to replace the radio with a larger touch screen so I did the install and followed the instructional video but I couldn’t get the new radio to turn on, today (Mon the 4th) I put the factory radio back in and it won’t turn on either. After checking all the fuses I am guessing the dealer would have to turn my radio back on via computer programming. Is this true? Also has anyone on here done an aftermarket double din and if so how did you install it? Thanks for any replies!

I don’t think it has anything to do with the dealer having to turn it on via computers—probably just messed up one of the power connections during your install. But I’d take it to the dealer at this point...or a reputable install shop.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I wonder if you blew a fuse for the radio. If you decide to check, make sure to take a picture of the fuse block first, the picture has saved me a few times. On the original radio and the shrill sound from blue tooth, it is your phone not the radio. Reset the phone, turn the radio off and then back on after the phone resets. If my phone has not been turned off for awhile, i have this issue, turn the phone off problem solved.

Hotelevator

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I don’t think it has anything to do with the dealer having to turn it on via computers—probably just messed up one of the power connections during your install. But I’d take it to the dealer at this point...or a reputable install shop.

I didn’t know if VW was the same as my other car, if you unplug a radio in a Saab you’ll have to get it turned back on via the dealer its an anti-theft thing. What do you mean by messed up a power connection? All you do is unplug the stock radio and plug the new one, should be straight forward.

Hotelevator

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I wonder if you blew a fuse for the radio. If you decide to check, make sure to take a picture of the fuse block first, the picture has saved me a few times. On the original radio and the shrill sound from blue tooth, it is your phone not the radio. Reset the phone, turn the radio off and then back on after the phone resets. If my phone has not been turned off for awhile, i have this issue, turn the phone off problem solved.

I checked all the fuses in the fuse block thats inside the dash on the drivers side, all are good. Thats crazy that the phone would be causing the bluetooth issue but I will give it a try.

Hotelevator

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
New problem, I unplugged the Kenwood and reinstalled the stock radio and it won’t turn on either, not sure whats going on here. Hate to take it to the dealer but might not have another option.