Local Attractions -- with map!

wnytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I'm thinking of bringing my family (with 2 young children) and thought it might be a good idea to post activities/site seeing that you might want to do as a family. I plan to make this trip as a mini vacation.

So please post any great ideas that a family might be able to enjoy doing.
Thanks!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Well the obvious ones are the Smithsonian (Air & Space, Natural History, Am History). There is also the National Zoo, the C&O Canal, Manassas Battlefield/Bull Run, they Spy museum. And probably a bunch more stuff I'm just not thinking of.

Bill

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There are enough family attractions around here to keep you and the family busy for at least a couple of weeks.

My favorites are the Udvar Hazy Air & Space Museum (not far from the hotel), the Zoo is pretty cool, and just wandering around on the mall in DC is always a great time.

For those of you who plan on checking out the local attractions, I strongly suggest that you arrive early and/or stay late so that you can see the sights without having to rush and miss all of the fun car-related stuff. ;) As I mentioned in the hotel thread, the $99/night deal also applies for Thursday night and Monday night. :cool:

Please see post #13 for a map of the area with attractions and points of interest!

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
As was stated, DC has enough attractions to keep anyone entertained for a week. You mention young children. If they are really young, I'd suggest the Natural History Museum and the Zoo. If they are early school-aged, then you could add Air and Space. American History is probably better suited for kids that are a tad older (say 10+) and can comprehend the historical significance of the collections. My boys are 4 and 1 1/2 and I can tell you they wouldn't appreciate the static displays. They like animals and things that move. Baltimore's Inner Harbor is an easy drive and the National Aquarium and Maryland Science Center are there. My boys love the dolphin shows at the aquarium. One caution on the aquarium is that it is packed on summer weekends. Go on a weekday if possible.

From the Washington Post - DC Kids Activities:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/dc-kids-activities.html

Last edited:

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
It would be great to have a map and a list of places that people recommend to see.
Maybe someone could start a public google map thing where everybody could add an interresting attraction and a description

That way it would be easier to plan the trip for everyone
Just an idea....

wnytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Great idea. I'll try to put something together.

Torque_Delight said:
It would be great to have a map and a list of places that people recommend to see.
Maybe someone could start a public google map thing where everybody could add an interresting attraction and a description

That way it would be easier to plan the trip for everyone
Just an idea....

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
All you need to do is get to the Mall. Way more than you can handle in a weekend. Every kid should spend time there, many memories will ensue.

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
If you are arriving on Friday and leaving on Sunday or Monday, you will need to make a choice...family fun or the Club events. With traffic, operating hours and the endless choices, I would say 2 different places to see would be the max you could see and enjoy...not doing a drive-by.

Remember to pack light...keep your purse/wallet thin and in your front pocket(s), and keep a close eye on your kids...this is our Nation's Capital...one of the most unsafe places to walk around...stick to the main roads/sights...do not get lost in the housing parts of town. This is just my recommendation.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CMB430 said:
Remember to pack light...keep your purse/wallet thin and in your front pocket(s), and keep a close eye on your kids...this is our Nation's Capital...one of the most unsafe places to walk around...stick to the main roads/sights...do not get lost in the housing parts of town. This is just my recommendation.
I'd say that's pretty much the same advice I'd give for any major city. I wouldn't peg DC as some especially sinister place to visit. I've never felt unsafe walking the National Mall, around Georgetown, Inner Harbor Baltimore, etc. I don't believe any of those places are known for increased incidences of child abductions either. Common sense would apply in all cases. Watch you kids, don't flaunt your money, etc. Pretty much applies anywhere.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
CMB430 said:
Remember to pack light...keep your purse/wallet thin and in your front pocket(s), and keep a close eye on your kids...this is our Nation's Capital...one of the most unsafe places to walk around..
I would have to agree it's infested with politicians if you go there with a fat wallet they will think that taxes aren't high enough. As far as keeping an eye on the kids yeah the politicians might drown'em in drool by thinking of all the tax money they will get out of them.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
TT71 said:
I would have to agree it's infested with politicians if you go there with a fat wallet they will think that taxes aren't high enough. As far as keeping an eye on the kids yeah the politicians might drown'em in drool by thinking of all the tax money they will get out of them.:D
I don't care who you are, that's funny! :D

I'm putting together a Google Map of the area and some local attractions. I will post the link soon. Feel free to collaborate on it and add some things that you feel are of interest. Stay tuned!

Damn that edit button being where the quote button is supposed to be. ;)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Google Map

The official TDI Fest 2009 map of attractions can be found here...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=107698697695806278756.00046591349bd8f2125e8&z=7

or an easier link at http://www.tinyurl.com/2009tdifestmap

Let me know if there's anything that you'd like to see added to the map. :)

Map Key
Green:
Hotel
Blue:
Family-friendly attractions... museums, beaches, etc.
Light Blue:
Car-related... dealerships, auto parts stores
Purple:
Grocery stores, pharmacies, quickie marts, and other services.
Magenta:
Shopping and attractions for the Bored Wives Club
Yellow:
Restaurants and fast food
Red:
Night life and otherwise non-child-friendly locations. ;)

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice map, and even more could be added. I found it humorous that you added Ocean City, MD and comment that it's not one of your favorite places. Why don't you go ahead and add Rehoboth Beach, DE then? ;)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
VeeDubTDI said:
The official TDI Fest 2009 map of attractions can be found here...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=107698697695806278756.00046591349bd8f2125e8&z=7

Let me know if there's anything that you'd like to see added to the map. :)

Map Key
Green: Hotel
Blue: Family-friendly attractions... museums, beaches, etc.
Light Blue: Car-related... dealerships, auto parts stores
Purple: Grocery stores, pharmacies, quickie marts, and other services.
Magenta: Shopping and attractions for the Bored Wives Club
Yellow:
Restaurants and fast food
Red: Night life and otherwise non-child-friendly locations. ;)
That's quite the rainbow of colors there. :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ooh yeah. :D Rehoboth is awesome! I think I will add that. ;) And maybe a few more colors! :eek:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It will be 2X cool when you add the geo-coordinates for those who like to plan :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
dieseldorf said:
It will be 2X cool when you add the geo-coordinates for those who like to plan :)
Google can do that for you! ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI

So dorf, how many nights will you be staying?? You have lots of sight seeing to do!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Trust me, I've spent loads o' time in DC at the museums, etc.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Sweet map, Lawson, very comprehensive. This'll really help if I end up bringing anyone. But I won't let them take away my precious A3 for the weekend to go shopping like last time!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
blizzak said:
Sweet map, Lawson, very comprehensive. This'll really help if I end up bringing anyone. But I won't let them take away my precious A3 for the weekend to go shopping like last time!
Awesome! Glad you found it useful. :) I'll probably keep adding things to it over the spring and summer.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
If any of you plan on sightseeing DC before or after the fest during the week. I would recommend contacting your local rep or state senator's office (even if you don't like them) and set up a time for them to give you a personal tour of the capital. I did that last year when my mom and grandma came out to visit. It's a more personal tour then the normal capital tour and you dont have to wait in line. You just meet at the rep. or senators office at the time they give you.
Also, if any of you plan on going to any of the Smithsonian museums, let me know. I can give you tickets for $5 each. :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Lol

jettafock said:
Also, if any of you plan on going to any of the Smithsonian museums, let me know. I can give you tickets for $5 each. :p
Hey now, no ticket scalping here!

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
Hey guys,
I'm not sure if it would be verboten to go to a non-VW and non-TDI dealership during TDIFest, but I think it is cool...

Right near Lindsay VW in Dulles is a Ferrari/Maserati/Lamborghini dealer (at 45235 Towlern Place, Dulles, VA 20166). I've been there once to poke around, and it's the only place outside an auto show I've seen Italian supercars. And here, they aren't behind ropes.

Just a thought.

--Mark

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah, that dealership always has some pretty cool cars. Buy one and bring it to Fest! ;)

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
Outstanding job on the map. I've never been in the area, but looking through this I'm starting to feel at home :)