BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Balance shaft upgrade

Im here in St Louis Marriott waiting for the wagon to be finished and then back to Chicago. OH said it was loud for 45000 miles but not broken.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
ekkoh99, with only 45000 miles, it is too bad that a VW dealer near you didn't have the chance to learn about the problem and do yours in warranty!

Travel well and smoothly.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
DickSilver said:
ekkoh99, with only 45000 miles, it is too bad that a VW dealer near you didn't have the chance to learn about the problem and do yours in warranty!

Travel well and smoothly.
There is something to be said for getting a good warm fuzzy by having the job done right the first time versus getting it done under warranty by a dealer that most likely does not know what they are doing and then having it go bad just after the warranty expires.

Mine was just finished a couple hours ago. I had 1500 miles left in the warranty. I was not going to take the risk of having the dealer tear the engine apart only to tell me that they could not find anything and oh by the way, here is your bill:eek:.

I'll just save my receipts in case VWoA suddenly has sudden moment of clarity and decides to do the right thing.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
The dealer is not authorized to tear into it without doing a R&R. They won't remove a bolt without prior authorization. I doubt anyone who volunteered to get the job done while under warranty, but did not give VW first crack at it, will be compensated. Even the BBB will not support this method because its just bad business practice.
I understand those who are out of warranty bashing VW and the dealer, but those still in warranty are just out of line. It is unfortunate that we have educate our dealers on this issue, but those under warranty should give it a try.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yeah I agree that we should hit the dealer first if under warranty and there's an issue. If they don't/can't/refuse to resolve and you go elsewhere that's another matter.

Moot for me though at 110,000 miles.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You know, dealers are really a double-edged sword. They are THE only outlet for warranty repairs, yet so often they can muck stuff up worse than if they never touched it. Good to hear some of them are doing this job and evidentally doing it correctly (we hope...no horror stories yet).

I asked the guy I know at a dealer here if he would look at one that was still under warranty, I got the response "****'n hell no I don't wanna work on that diesel POS, I won't make any money!!!" :rolleyes: Yeah, real professional. :mad:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
He could lose his franchise if that ever came to VW's attention.

I know a guy who had a run-in with a local Toyota dealer. They had a "policy" of only fixing cars bought there and made no bones about it. Thing is, he had moved from another part of the country and it was the only convenient dealer.

A quick call with the Toyota zone office fixed the problem; they instructed him to go back to the dealership and call the zone office if the service manager refused to service his car. When he did so, he dialed up the zone office and passed the phone to the service manager. He said it was hilarious, all he heard was "yes sir, no we don't sir, yes we will sir" and they promptly took his car in. Apparently as the zone manager related to my friend, he told the service manager "if the dealership would not honour its contractual obligations, a cherry picker would be there the same day taking down the 'Toyota' sign out front".

You'd have to be an idiot of course to do what that service manager did. That service manager pretty much guaranteed the permanent loss of a potential future customer for sales and service.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
ekkoh99 said:
Im here in St Louis Marriott waiting for the wagon to be finished and then back to Chicago. OH said it was loud for 45000 miles but not broken.
I would not mind comparing yours too mine when you get back into town
I should be back on the North Shore on Wenesday April 01 and I am off work April 5 and 6. My plan is to drive another 10,000 miles and then visit Oilhammer in St. Louis.

The other Passat Wagon (40,000 miles) is going up on Autotrader.com for sale soon.

Deming

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Wifes B5 is at the VW dealer and they are replacing the parts under warranty. I did not have a failure but noticed a pulley chafing type noise from the front end. They called me yesterday and stated they were replacing the oil pump etc. I checked the part numbers against the PDF file here on TDIclub and they seem to match. They are not replacing the balance shaft as there is no damage. I guess it was jsut teh chain doing the noise thing! WHEW. Saved by TDIclub! Thanks to oilhammer and the rest of you that have put so much information out here. Her car is close to being out of warranty.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, they ARE replacing the balance shaft. Both of them. Because they are inside of that 'differential carrier'.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
oilhammer said:
Yes, they ARE replacing the balance shaft. Both of them. Because they are inside of that 'differential carrier'.
Ohhhhh! Thanks oilhammer. I stand corrected and apprecite your educating me! I will post scan the finished work order when I get it and upload it to the site. I need to look at the pictures again to get a better idea.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Back in town. Thanks Oilhammer. Noise and vibrations at a stop are gone.

Deming, if you want to listen to the car, PM and we can meet somewhere.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know that sometimes VW service can be a hit or miss thing and this job seems like everything must be done precisely i.e., attention to detail is necessary. I'm praying. I hope the car comes out better than when it went in!

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Well you just saved $3k and they warranty their work for 12mo/10k miles IIRC. Warranty was why I bought a car new...

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
So far, what seems to occur on ours is that they have a decent mechanic, but he calls the tech guy, they go over it and then he does the work.

I know its also part of the call in for approval, but they seem to be working with the tech guy as well.

I suspect they will do it step by step if needed. Only alternative I have is a couple of independents that I have no idea if they can do that type of work, and obviously will not be like Oilhammer as a centrally located for a lot of people.

Given the choice between the delaer and Oilhammer, a two day drive would be a no brainer decision, even still under warranty.

VW will get it right evenualy, even if they have to replac the whole gnine!

The expreicne with the Turob says it all though. One day in, the replace the actuator valve. Doesn't fix it.

Nesxt time in, they get swamped and I get it back for another week because they will not get it done (I apprciated the call to let me decide, as driving the turck at the time was a huge fuel bill, and we had tons of errends).

Next time it was at the head of the line, but that was 4 days taken up. Your time is worth something, and you can't plan on anything.

wildman

TDI
04 Passat TDI wagon
Hoo!!Ray!!! Chainless motoring at last, thanks to MOGolf who installed the BS and TB etc. My wagon is alive, smooth and less noisy, with much less vibration...less vibration looking at and listening to the engine and from within the cabin. Replaced motor mount that probably contributed, again sincere thanks to MOGolf. (Reportedly the chain was appropriately stretched and still in decent shape) I see this service as an upgrade and due to reduced vibration may benefit the life of the car. len

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
wildman said:
Hoo!!Ray!!! Chainless motoring at last, thanks to MOGolf who installed the BS and TB etc. My wagon is alive, smooth and less noisy, with much less vibration...less vibration looking at and listening to the engine and from within the cabin. Replaced motor mount that probably contributed, again sincere thanks to MOGolf. (Reportedly the chain was appropriately stretched and still in decent shape) I see this service as an upgrade and due to reduced vibration may benefit the life of the car. len
How many miles were on your engine / car ??

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
They'll want that anyway for any warranty work, but cam wear issues are more a problem for the 1.9 TDIs. Hope they are not confused.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
I thought I read oilhammer say the cam's in the BHWs were a PITA to check, I have a hard time believing they tore it apart just to check if you were using the right oil.

What I think to be most likely, is that they are trying to weasel out of fixing the BS under warantee. Where did you get your oil? I know TDIparts will go back and print your old invoices for you. If you bought at the dealer, you would think they'd have a record. Or, maybe you paid for your oil with a credit card? Anyway you can prove you did it? did you write it in a little black book?

Don't let them off the hook here.

oilhammer

TDI
Well, he took it to a dealer, and this dealer clearly has no clue about what they are doing or what they are looking at. I would assume they refused to even look at the information presented to them about the BHW's balance shaft chain issue. :rolleyes:

I cannot help any more than I already have. Sorry. :(

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
The cams are not the easiest to check but you can get the valve cover off and get down and look.

Just an FYI, I had mine a a dealer for a check engine light that ended up being MAF and Underboost codes. The dealer told me my cam was worn and was causing my problems as well. Naturally I said I would have to think about it (while my mind said "yeah right, that is a pile of BS"). I had Metal Man look at mine and he didn't see any wear (naturally).

In the end my problem was a split in the hose that connects the charged air system to the intake manifold.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Another question for Oilhammer...

What do you think about the Audi/VW V6 TDI engine that will be in the Q7 and Touareg? I read on the VW canada website that the oil pump is run by a chain. There is a pic there too.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
ekkoh99 said:
Another question for Oilhammer...

What do you think about the Audi/VW V6 TDI engine that will be in the Q7 and Touareg? I read on the VW canada website that the oil pump is run by a chain. There is a pic there too.
Here is an URL for more info. Chain driven timing and chain driven oil pump.

http://www.vw.ca/vwcms/master_publi...eg_2/technical_specifications.detail.1.0.html

ENGINE DESIGN
ArrangementFront mounted, longitudinalCylinder BlockCast ironCrank ShaftForged steel, seven main bearingsCylinder HeadAluminum alloy, cross flowValve TrainDual overhead camshaft, chain driven, four valves per cylinder, maintenance free hydraulic lifters, variable valve timingCooling SystemWater cooled, thermostatically controlled electric radiator fanLubricationChain-driven duocentric oil pumpFuel / Air SupplyElectronically controlled direct injection (EDC), turbochargerEmissionsTier II, BIN5

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
VW comes through with warranty!

oilhammer said:
Well, he took it to a dealer, and this dealer clearly has no clue about what they are doing or what they are looking at. I would assume they refused to even look at the information presented to them about the BHW's balance shaft chain issue. :rolleyes:

I cannot help any more than I already have. Sorry. :(

No, they are informed about the BS issue oilhammer, Now, knowing about an issue and doing the repair are two different things.

Also, I am getting my information from the service writer who is not as well versed as say a master mechanic is.

Sent copies of dealer invoices and world impex orders with mileage and dates of oil changes to VW shop today as per request of VWOA. Service writer called me and stated VW has approved the repairs whatever they are! It was late today when I got the call so I'll call the service mgr tomorrow to find out exactly what they are planning on doing. At this point, I don't know if they are doing the top end or lower end or both. They did say the oil pressure was low. The service writer mentioned a shortblock....

It is actually a very nice dealer to do business wth and I have been mostly pleased with their service. They care and it shows.

They could have easily sent me packing after replacing the BS assembly and I probably would not have had any clue of any other issues until to late.

Please forgive my ignorance as some of my descriptions/statements may be worded incorrectly and also, I am relying on the statements of the service writer who is not a master mechanic.

As a computer systems admin, I am skilled and talk Microsoftease which some of you mechanics may not speak. However, when it comes to the complexities of the PD engine, I am not well versed or detail oriented. While this site has helped me take care of oil changes and some other verfy rudimentary things, the real technical stuff is beyond my grasp unless someone takes the time to explain it to me.

As always, I want to thank everyone for their recommendations and comments. The tdiclub is a great place and I ma glad to have been a member for the past 4 years. Long live the TDI and tdiclub!

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
To the person asking about the new 3.0L V6 TDI: yes, it has multiple chains, on the flywheel end of the engine, and yes it looks like it will be an expensive nightmare to service when the time comes.

Here is a pic of the back side of that engine:

As for the above poster....if they put a short block in your car, which it most likely does NOT need, it will most likely still have the old chain bits in its bottom end, and you'll still be in the same boat. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.