Hello

Itsbrental01

TDI
1998 Jetta mk3
I am new to all of this. I have a 1998 Jetta TDI and it has around 150,000 miles on it. I want it to last for a long time, and I'm not driving it in the winter. What are some do and don'ts for it. Thank you

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Welcome to tdiclub! There is already a wealth of knowledge hear to read to tell you what you want to know. Take care of it well and service it like it should be and it will generally last a very long time. Take some time an read, you will learn a lot!

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
As Lightflyer said, there are over 25 years of incredible resources, basically the best TDI encyclopedia on the planet and all you have to do is search and read. And if you get stumped and can't find it - you will get help, although for the 98's, there is less and less 'live' help, so this google search is going to be your best friend.

At the bottom of this link is 'Google Search of TDI'. That is your ticket to all knowledge on your car.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Welcome, as said search feature is your best friend.
Much of the basics are covered in TDI101, you'll find the TDI search link there as well, and you should definitely start with the stickies at the top and find your model.
Again, read read read!
Not driving it in the winter you want a battery tender to keep your battery fresh and full of energy.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
welcome to the forums. the #1 best thing you can do is start reading, the 101 sticky threads are a good place to start
for the most part here is a list
useing the correct oil for diesel
stock OEM replacment parts
keep up with your service.
timing belt 5 years or 80K miles
dont ever let her overheat
if you develope a fuel leak at the IP (the pump next to the alternator) DO NOT NEGLECT IT, diesel fuel kills rubber parts like hoses and many have had issues that could have been prevented. other than minor oil leaks, just make sure you dont have any more than that.
whatever you do, oil change to cleaning the intake, READ UP FIRST. rooky things like cleaning the EGR and intake manifold without cleaning the intake runners can kill an engine, same with doing a timing belt job and not following all the steps.

for the MK3 breed of cars, i would highly sugest you pull the seats up and the carpet and fix any rust areas, they are there. trust me and birb man, these things may look rust free but they where actually made with rust under the paint just wating to screw you over in decades to come (now)
happy to help.
if yor looking or in need of a good suspention i have one for sale (its lowered but not too much!)

Itsbrental01

TDI
1998 Jetta mk3
Is there anyone with a lot of knowledge willing to talk on Facebook messenger so I can have better help with pictures and videos?