Brake caliper paint suggestions?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
It's a very random question, but does anyone have suggestions on brake caliper paint? I bought something for my 2010 Sportwagen years ago from ECS tuning, but it was rather expensive. I've seen some spray paint solutions on eBay. Any comments/complaints? I'm upgrading my 2004 Golf to VR6 brakes, so I figured while they're already out of the car, I might as well make them look nice at least.

Problypropylene

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon TDI 5-speed manual, '03 Jetta Wagon TDI auto
I used VHT caliper paint (also on VR6 brake upgrade) and it's holding up great. I think it's all about the prep. I soaked mine in some purple degreaser for a day or two before prep. I plugged up the banjo bolt hole with a solid bolt + teflon tape so the degreaser didn't get inside of the calipers and possibly damage the hone. They were extremely clean before I started painting.

Last edited:

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
+1 on VHT Caliper Paint (AKA "Poor Man's Powdercoat.")
And, yeah - as always, good paint is 90% prep work, 10% materials & application. Clean, clean, clean. Wire wheel rusty areas. I also use a grinder (actually, a 36grit Roloc disc on a small angle grinder) to buzz down any casting (parting) lines (paint really doesn't like to stick to sharp edges.)

Pro tip: If you're painting them in a 'brighter' color (e.g. red, blue, yellow):
First coat the parts in Aluminum. Let dry ~15 minutes, then start spraying your desired color.
The light & bright basecoat makes the topcoat 'pop' a lot more - especially if the parts are old (read: dark-ish.)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
And, yeah - as always, good paint is 90% prep work, 10% materials & application. Clean, clean, clean. Wire wheel rusty areas. I also use a grinder (actually, a 36grit Roloc disc on a small angle grinder) to buzz down any casting (parting) lines (paint really doesn't like to stick to sharp edges.)

Pro tip: If you're painting them in a 'brighter' color (e.g. red, blue, yellow):
First coat the parts in Aluminum. Let dry ~15 minutes, then start spraying your desired color.
The light & bright basecoat makes the topcoat 'pop' a lot more - especially if the parts are old (read: dark-ish.)
I ended up ordering some VHT yellow. I got two cans, because I might end up repainting the calipers on my ALH as well (this project goes on the BEW Golf).

So for an aluminum coat - is that something I can get from a hardware store, or does it have to be VHT aluminum? I figured yellow would pop/compliment Indigo Blue (same color on both the BEW and the ALH).

Also, would y'all think I should be fine if I use a wirewheel as opposed to a blasting cabinet? My air compressor doesn't really work that great with my blasting cabinet (it has trouble keeping up), but I can really do either, though I already sent my spindles off to get new bearings pressed in (something I'm not adept at), so I'm really just going to be spraying the caliper. I'd also worry about sand media getting inside the caliper.

Problypropylene

TDI
I ended up ordering some VHT yellow. I got two cans, because I might end up repainting the calipers on my ALH as well (this project goes on the BEW Golf).

So for an aluminum coat - is that something I can get from a hardware store, or does it have to be VHT aluminum? I figured yellow would pop/compliment Indigo Blue (same color on both the BEW and the ALH).

Also, would y'all think I should be fine if I use a wirewheel as opposed to a blasting cabinet? My air compressor doesn't really work that great with my blasting cabinet (it has trouble keeping up), but I can really do either, though I already sent my spindles off to get new bearings pressed in (something I'm not adept at), so I'm really just going to be spraying the caliper. I'd also worry about sand media getting inside the caliper.
I just used a wire hand brush and maroon scotch brite pads. The degreaser loosens all the baked on brake dust and such, so it comes off pretty easy after that. After that of course, clean, clean, clean.

I have seen some youtube videos of brake restos using sand blasting and they used what looked like old upholstery foam jammed into the threaded holes and bores to keep the sand out (they removed the pistons and seals entirely iirc.) I have no experience with that though.

Yeah VHT aluminum is probably your best best because you know it's compatible with VHT yellow. Unless you really know your paint and what is compatible I would stick with the same brand. I didn't do any kind of base coat or primer on mine fyi, but everything cuppie said is solid advice. Mine were pretty bright aluminum after I was done prepping.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Now I need to figure out who sells VHT aluminum. I ordered the yellow off ebay, as nobody locally had brake caliper yellow. I might ask a friend who owns a body shop (I consider him a paint expert) and see what his two cents are for a primer.

Problypropylene

TDI
Now I need to figure out who sells VHT aluminum. I ordered the yellow off ebay, as nobody locally had brake caliper yellow. I might ask a friend who owns a body shop (I consider him a paint expert) and see what his two cents are for a primer.

My local Orilley keeps VHT caliper paint in stock. I would think most auto parts stores sell it. It's pretty common. Have fun!

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Whenever I need aluminum, red, blue, or matte black, I hit up AutoZone. I think they carry yellow, too.
The rest of the palette, Summit Racing. Nice thing: They're so close, that if I order in the morning, it's here the next afternoon.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Whenever I need aluminum, red, blue, or matte black, I hit up AutoZone. I think they carry yellow, too.
The rest of the palette, Summit Racing. Nice thing: They're so close, that if I order in the morning, it's here the next afternoon.
Weird - I called our local Autozone Hub last night (open until midnight, 24/7 pre-COVID-19) and they don't carry VHT at all. I might try O'Reilly's, too. And none of the stores are close. We have a Napa and Carquest in our county (16 and 13 miles, respectively), but Autozone, O'Reilly's and Advanced are all about 30 miles away. I started pulling a second set of calipers, because a local mechanic shop is having issues removing the bearing/race from the hub (I don't have a way to press the new bearings in).

Problypropylene

TDI
Weird - I called our local Autozone Hub last night (open until midnight, 24/7 pre-COVID-19) and they don't carry VHT at all. I might try O'Reilly's, too. And none of the stores are close. We have a Napa and Carquest in our county (16 and 13 miles, respectively), but Autozone, O'Reilly's and Advanced are all about 30 miles away. I started pulling a second set of calipers, because a local mechanic shop is having issues removing the bearing/race from the hub (I don't have a way to press the new bearings in).
Not too get too far off topic but this is all you need to remove and install the front wheel bearings: https://smile.amazon.com/ABN-Piece-...dp/B00QL1APQQ/ref=psdc_15709141_t2_B016W4LHZ4

It's actually a great kit for removing and installing all kinds of other bushings, like the rear lower control arm bushings, sub frame bushings, etc

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

I'll try and get some photos of my finished product uploaded later. I forgot to read this before painting, and probably waited close to about 7-10 minutes between coats. I just did one coat of VHT aluminum, but 3-4 coats of VHT yellow. I pretty much used a whole can of yellow for 4 calipers. I'm debating on disassembling the rears to paint them also, given that I need to bleed the whole system anyways.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
It’s been years since I rattle canned calipers. I’ll need to look at them and see if they’re holding up...

I remember folia tech, being the brand to buy, but that had to be 15-20 years ago. Came with a hardener you mixed in, then you brushed it on. I see another company is now offering the same stuff, for about 50 or 60.

For the cost of the paint and supplies, I just dropped my stuff off at the powder coater. Reassembled the other night. I went gold, but a bit bright for this car, so I’ll likely get another set done.

-Todd

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I don't even know who I'd go to for powder coating. More than likely, it'd be in San Antonio, which is a good hour or more from me (I'm quite rural).

In the future, that route is tempting though. I found this VHT stuff chips too easily, and I missed a bunch of spots on my second set of calipers. It does stand out on my car nonetheless.

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
I've used G2 caliper paint - and, it is the shiznit. Expensive, yes, at $60 a kit. But, it is a fantastic catalyzed epoxy paint.

VHT chips a lot less if you can bake it - even says so on the can.
When I'm at work, I borrow a heat light from the body shop (next door, same building), and bake each component for 15 minutes (so, two hours total bake time, because the heat light is a wee thing, and can only heat one piece at a time.)
No heat light? *Carefully* put the brakes together. Touch up any chips as required. Take the car out and, ah, use the brakes a lot - get 'em hot, and try to keep 'em hot for a bit.