2015 Center vents don't blow cold

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Since it's been getting warmer I've noticed that the center vents in my car aren't blowing cold air. Usually I just leave the climate control on auto, but if I switch it to just blow through the upper vents it only comes out the sides.
I thought I'd check if this was normal behavior or if there should be air coming out. I don't see a dial to turn these vents on or off either, is there one?

A.RTDI

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Since it's been getting warmer I've noticed that the center vents in my car aren't blowing cold air. Usually I just leave the climate control on auto, but if I switch it to just blow through the upper vents it only comes out the sides.
I thought I'd check if this was normal behavior or if there should be air coming out. I don't see a dial to turn these vents on or off either, is there one?
When you put it to blow through the upper vents which is like the "defroster" it will normally blow through the side vents as well. Try doing this, start the car, turn the climatronic unit on, hold down button that blows straight and the a/c button at the same time. The a/c and front vent button should begin flashing. Let go of it and wait. The entire process takes about 30 secs, whats happening is that the climatronic unit is opening all the flaps in the system and closing them. This should fix any stuck flaps.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks, I'll try that tonight.
I just saw this message, missed the notification. Sorry I took so long to acknowledge.

AllanJJ

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
When you put it to blow through the upper vents which is like the "defroster" it will normally blow through the side vents as well. Try doing this, start the car, turn the climatronic unit on, hold down button that blows straight and the a/c button at the same time. The a/c and front vent button should begin flashing. Let go of it and wait. The entire process takes about 30 secs, whats happening is that the climatronic unit is opening all the flaps in the system and closing them. This should fix any stuck flaps.

Huh. I didn’t know this trick to reset the climatronics. I’ll have to remember this.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Tried this and it cycled through the settings. But unfortunately never opened the center vents at all. Held my hand in front of them and never felt any air movement.
Is there possibly a relay that's bad.
If I'm looking at the system correctly it shows two separate blend doors. It seems odd that both would be bad.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Blend door motors (Chinese) going bad on later VWs like the NMS is not that unusual. I think Oilhammer has some posts on this topic.