LED parking light install and error...

akrievins

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Comfortline - DSG
Hey all,
I picked up a set of LED parking lights from ebay and they were supposed to be CAN BUS error free, but after installing, there's a bulb out light on my dash. Comes on when I turn my headlights on, and only goes off when I shut the car off and turn it back on with headlights off.
Can the bulb out light be removed/turned off using VAG COM? I don't really need to know if a bulb is out as I can just check this from time to time myself, so if that light could be disabled, that would be a solution instead of just driving around with the bulb out light on.
I really love the way these bulbs look. See pictures of the install and results below.
Old halogen and new LED bulb.

Installed in the housing

Lit up

Both lit up at night.

I've purchased Philips Diamond vision Low beam bulbs and am waiting to get them. I've got a buddy with them and they look great.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
You need VCDS

09- Central Electronics
Byte27 Bit2

Found this screenshot on another site to give you a visual

Last edited:

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
It's probably due to a lack of resistance in the circuit. If you measure the resistance of the light bulb that's supposed to be there, then multiply that by the number of bulbs, put a resistor of that many ohms in the circuit somewhere.

If one bulb is 100 ohms; 100 x 2 bulbs = 200 ohms total resistance.

Put a 200 ohm resistor somewhere in the circuit and it will be happy; no more dash light, no need for VCDS.

At least that's my guess.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Do you have a source for DRL rated LED's that are CAN BUS compliant and error free?
You can get some from Bold Sport. But you really don't need them.

If you can get your hands on a VCDS and make the change I mentioned above, you can use any LED bulb you like. I've been rocking these for well over a year now.

I even had a neighbor who liked them and he bought a couple of spares off me and now uses them in his Subaru.

shovelhd

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Do you check the Bit 2 box? I can get the LED's to turn on with the low beams on but not with the lights off. All that turns on are the DRL filaments in the H15 bulbs. Does this shut them off?

Also, how do you change the low beam bulb on the driver's side? I can't get my hand in there to twist the housing as the fue box is in the way. Do you pull the fuse box or the headlight module?

Thanks