Executive decision...

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I dewinterized my car today.

Back to summer wheels and no more grille cover. Looks like mid 50's and 60's for at least the next two weeks for us.

Felt good to do the swap.. means we're close to taking out the bike and vette soon :D

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I will be taking the winter snow tires off my Jeep soon, and this week I should get the A3 parts back from being hydro dipped, I will get the Audi back on the road for spring and summer and let the Jeep rest

BK97

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI Premium
I ordered new all-season (aka Canadian summer) tires today @ Costco, will arrive next week. Always feels good to make the switch.

BK97

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI Premium
Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season Plus, 110K km/70K mile warranty. 225/45R17.
$720 Canadian @ Costco after install & balancing & tax & recycle & all that.
Google says that's about $545 US.
I bought this car last summer and the ContiProContact (stock?) tires on it were bald.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Winter, of sorts, continues its icy, but almost snowless grip. I'm staying with the snows for now. I did use my TDI gratification cards to get new summer tires at the dlr. Their cost was almost $US750. The dealers are making some good money with that program.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season Plus, 110K km/70K mile warranty. 225/45R17.
$720 Canadian @ Costco after install & balancing & tax & recycle & all that.
Google says that's about $545 US.
I bought this car last summer and the ContiProContact (stock?) tires on it were bald.
I went to P7 from the stock contis. Contis only lasted about 35k. So far so good with the Pirellis, they did surprisingly well in the snow.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
I have had my Pirelli Cinturato for close to 50k miles and they are still doing great. i dont think they have changed my MPG, still get around 36-39mpg (2010 a3), still alot of road noise on the highway, cars just noisey. but i bet i can get another 10-20k out of them.

I cant speak for winter, but i can for rain and they have been doing great (houston).

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I'm in the same position now. I ordered my lowering springs, they are on the way. I also have some nice new 19 tires ready to go, but no wheels. I'm so torn on what wheels to get. Obviously they would be 19s.

Hmm...

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I'm not modding the car any further until VW figures out if they'll be buying back our cars or not.

Shorter springs are definitely on the list once I'm sure the car is staying.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait, what is all of this about our cars being bought back? I was just seriously looking into a 6 speed conversion... I can't deal with the slushy dsg any longer.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Wait, what is all of this about our cars being bought back? I was just seriously looking into a 6 speed conversion... I can't deal with the slushy dsg any longer.
Its still one of the options thats on the table since they can't fix ours because they didn't come with urea injection. If it'll be a buyback then we're almost guaranteed a more than very good price for ours. So I'm waiting. I think they might be coming in with a decision soon.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm... interesting. Then what do I do about all the parts investments I've put into this thing...? Where is this information in deliberation and will we be forced to sell it back?

This is all news to me. Weird, but again, I would consider it if the price was right. I don't have the old emissions parts I removed any longer. So there's that too.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Hmm... interesting. Then what do I do about all the parts investments I've put into this thing...? Where is this information in deliberation and will we be forced to sell it back?

This is all news to me. Weird, but again, I would consider it if the price was right. I don't have the old emissions parts I removed any longer. So there's that too.
I dont believe they can "force" you to sell it. you will have to weigh out the offer. as for the mods youve done, i dont know how that would play into the price they offer you, im sure it wont improve it.

I personally am hoping for some form of blanketed price, not some individual price per car. that sounds like a headache to me.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
PhunkFX, have you considered the Malone DSG tune?
I am very happy with it on my otherwise stock A3.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
PhunkFX, have you considered the Malone DSG tune?
I am very happy with it on my otherwise stock A3.
I have the tune. I'm not fond of it. It is only a TDI Cup edition tune, perhaps with a tweak or two.

I was thinking of reaching out to 034 and purchasing their Stage 2 DSG tune. It still shifts slow for me, still has major lag and holes (to my liking and opinion) as well as it sometimes oddly dumping the clutch on me, while I'm taking it easy to the effect as if I side stepped off the clutch...

So for me, in conclusion of all things considered, it sucks. The convenience does not make up for the reduction in performance and fuel economy, again FOR ME.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
PhunkFX your sig shows a 2003 Jetta. There will never be a buy back on pre2009 cars. Also if you do own a 2009+ car.....there ain't nothin' slushy about a DSG automatic. Jerky maybe.... slushy no!

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh, ok my "details" were changed, as was the updated mileage in my actual Sig. And I disagree, the latency for power and the time between shifts is still poor in my opinion, even with the "Malone" DSG tune. There surely are "jerky" moments, but maybe slushy isn't the right term. Perhaps just slow or inefficient? Though everyone's standards on how a car should perform is different. Right?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Ugh, ok my "details" were changed, as was the updated mileage in my actual Sig. And I disagree, the latency for power and the time between shifts is still poor in my opinion, even with the "Malone" DSG tune. There surely are "jerky" moments, but maybe slushy isn't the right term. Perhaps just slow or inefficient? Though everyone's standards on how a car should perform is different. Right?
The DSG was designed by Porsche for racing. No human being can shift that fast. If you must hold your gear slip the shift lever over to tiptronic and hang in what ever gear as long as you want then upshift. As to the buy back.........where have you been?

Last edited:

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm... I guess I have been working a bit too much lately and haven't paid attention. Good points. I'll pay better attention.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
If you want to do a manual conversion you have the wrong dsg tune!!!!

they are unbelieveably good when tuned well.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
If you want to do a manual conversion you have the wrong dsg tune!!!!

they are unbelieveably good when tuned well.

Hmm... That was well said. I'm curious as to what tune to get then. What, where from, and how much? The malone DSG tune doesn't seem to cut if for me I guess.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I have Malones DSG tune and even thought its light years better than the stock tune, I still sometimes notice a lag when coming to a turn and going thru a rolling stop. When I press the go pedal midway through the turn, it still has that hesitation though much less than when it was stock.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
I have Malones DSG tune and even thought its light years better than the stock tune, I still sometimes notice a lag when coming to a turn and going thru a rolling stop. When I press the go pedal midway through the turn, it still has that hesitation though much less than when it was stock.
Hmm, I wonder if my car's tunes took. I didn't notice much of a change after a stage 2.5 tune, performance or economy. It's almost like I paid a boatload of money for no CELs.

I know that's probably not the case, sometimes I feel like it is. But I still love the car. Soooo I'll be quiet now lol.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Doesn't the DSG anticipate whether you're going to up shift or downshift? If you're slowing into a stop sign in 2nd, it thinks that 1st will be likely next gear. It basically has that one on deck. If you go and accelerate, there will be a hesitation, as it changed to an upshift.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Hmm, I wonder if my car's tunes took. I didn't notice much of a change after a stage 2.5 tune, performance or economy. It's almost like I paid a boatload of money for no CELs.
I know that's probably not the case, sometimes I feel like it is. But I still love the car. Soooo I'll be quiet now lol.
After mine was tuned, I noticed that the shift points were moved a bit higher than stock, and the display in the cluster changed to show what gear you're in. Other than that couldn't tell a difference.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
After mine was tuned, I noticed that the shift points were moved a bit higher than stock, and the display in the cluster changed to show what gear you're in. Other than that couldn't tell a difference.
The shop that tuned my car said the same thing. He said to expect nothing major other than the display, some kickdown is removed, and higher clamping power for higher TQ tunes.

I am looking at other options where the shifting performance is actually tuned and such. :) Perhaps that will help. It will surely be cheaper and zero risk compared to a manual swap... especially since no one else has publicly claimed to perform one.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
The shop that tuned my car said the same thing. He said to expect nothing major other than the display, some kickdown is removed, and higher clamping power for higher TQ tunes.
I am looking at other options where the shifting performance is actually tuned and such. :) Perhaps that will help. It will surely be cheaper and zero risk compared to a manual swap... especially since no one else has publicly claimed to perform one.
I wouldn't discourage you from swapping to a manual. Would definitely be cool and unique and might even increase the value of the car! I know I've heard several say "I would have bought an A3 TDI but I wanted a manual".