GTG May 5-6th -South San Jose

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
A.w.e.s.o.m.e

So who's winning? Matt or the cars? :D
it's a 2.5-.5 score, at the moment. smendick's golf got the better of him and Matt/Oneputt team effort at installing a skidplate...long story and half a day later, no skid-plate install. :(

But, OnePutt's limp mode issue and 1/2 boost issue cured! :D
And... *drum roll please*.... the 4 year long mystery resonance sound is gone, the right side pull is gone, the intermittent hum is gone. He found 3+ oils leaks from various seals, a leaking water pump, a "janky" ;) serpentine belt/tensioner, and a jacked up, too small, poorly installed axle! so, in the end, after10 hours of hard labor (and CLEANING of the engine, tranny, and all assorted accessories - Just for you, Justin)... ZIPPY's BACK!!! WOOO HOOO!!!

I've been without my baby for 3 weeks, I'm glad to have her back and better than ever (for now. lol)

Say it with me... Matt is AWESOME! :D

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
I'm just waking up and getting out the door. I'm gonna get my engine steam cleaned, pick up stuff to BBQ and then head over. Should be there around 11 or 12 depending on how long AJ's takes for the steam clean.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
Also, if anyone wants a 1/2 height mfa I'll have one with me and I have everything we need to adapt it to someone's car. Otherwise it'll get sold in the classifieds this summer.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
it's a 2.5-.5 score, at the moment. smendick's golf got the better of him and Matt/Oneputt team effort at installing a skidplate...long story and half a day later, no skid-plate install. :(

But, OnePutt's limp mode issue and 1/2 boost issue cured! :D
And... *drum roll please*.... the 4 year long mystery resonance sound is gone, the right side pull is gone, the intermittent hum is gone. He found 3+ oils leaks from various seals, a leaking water pump, a "janky" ;) serpentine belt/tensioner, and a jacked up, too small, poorly installed axle! so, in the end, after10 hours of hard labor (and CLEANING of the engine, tranny, and all assorted accessories - Just for you, Justin)... ZIPPY's BACK!!! WOOO HOOO!!!

I've been without my baby for 3 weeks, I'm glad to have her back and better than ever (for now. lol)

Say it with me... Matt is AWESOME! :D
Yahoooo!

smendick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf ALH 5-sp manual
Made it home! Could have been a lot worse--I drank 3 beers, ate a few hot dogs and left with my oil pan in one piece. Plus I learned some great strategies for defiling livestock.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Oh! and I forgot to mention the motor mount, that I had to run to the dealer for. Always an adventure with my car.

Tip #23469803450 - always make sure the clutch is pushed all the way to the floor when starting a MK3. Otherwise, it won't start. :p

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
WOWWW looks like a $hite load of work got done down there... wish I could make it down.... Don't wear him out completely though.. I will need him in top shape soon to put a new bottom end in my Golf... ;).. Zip.. glad to see you got all these problems fixed!!!

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
+1 for well-running TDIs with engine bays cleaner than the outside :D

Missed you guys! After finishing my local duties today, I did disassemble my Chevy Tahoe's drivers' seat to remove the "rocking chair" feature. Just finished that up a few hours ago. Just took bar of steel, new drill bit and a few grade 8 bolts/nuts :)

Sim, sorry your skidplate woes continue. If you've got a simple solution, my garage is open. I've only done rivnuts a few times...IIRC Matt has the uber rivnut tool.

I still need to install mine, but looks like I may be repeating my oil pan replacement first. It's been leaking a little bit from the start, a TINY crack, but I'm fastidious about that stuff! Got to fit the body shop trip in there somewhere too. Then some VCDS logging...

Glad you all had a great time.

treyca

Veteran Member
greatest little gtg ever

Thanks for the wrenching and being such awesome hosts. Hope to do it again soon.

smendick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah Baumeister, Matt's going to bring his Diesel Geek tool and help me out next time he's up in the bay--maybe we can use your driveway if he makes it out to Sacramento?

Yeah, Zippy thanks again for hosting! I'd like to contribute some cash to the Bay Area GTG slush fund... Zippy, can you take paypal (I'll PM you)? I think some should go to each of you, Ryan and Matt. Eventhough I walked away no skid plate, a bunch of people spent a ton of time and it's the least I can do.

smendick

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Sim...I'll PM you the number to a good therapist friend of mine. You need some major help brother...
Now that I have some boots, no help is needed... everything is possible WITH NO HANDS!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
It's small, and broken, but good. Yep, still good.

Hey Sim...I'll PM you the number to a good therapist friend of mine. You need some major help brother...
Now that I have some boots, no help is needed... everything is possible WITH NO HANDS!
uh oh....:eek:

Well, the house and garage are back together. Matt's on his way to the next VW date. My roommate is still sleeping with his new Penagale! :rolleyes: and I won't have to go food shopping for the rest of the month. :eek::D

A small GTG with only3-5 people at the house (myself and roommate included) at any given time. But it was productive and fun. I've gained a new perspective on shepherd boots, height differences, MK3 clutches, and just how much Matt lives out of his car when he's working.

Maybe we can set something up on an as needed basis, with more notice next time, if Matt finds that he's got a lot of Bay Area appointments popping up in between the big San Pablo GTG's.

It was great seeing you guys, thanks for stopping by. I'm always happy to help. I'm glad I could offer a clean work space to help out a few of you at least.

until next time... same baaaaaht time, same hee-haw channel. ;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sounds like you all had a blast! Glad your car is working again, too. :D

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Trey, you accidentally left your very swirly glass here, on my garage counter. I'll bring it up with me to the next gtg, unless you want me to ship it. let me know.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Got home just a couple hours ago! Took the long route home, hit some pick n pulls, got a new passenger front door to replace the dented one. Couldn't fit the door IN the car to transport it, so I swapped it in their parking lot and gave them the old one for a $5 core. Took the scenic route home (highway 1 = BEST ROAD EVAR!).

Huge thanks to Zippy for hosting, keeping people entertained while I wrenched and also kept us fed and braved cleaning my car! There was an idea floated that maybe I should get a truck... or at least a wagon with only a driver's seat and bed liner sprayed on the floor so it could be hosed out after hauling tools and oil containers all the time... :D

All in all, a very productive weekend... Now I collapse, rather exhausted, in my own bed for a short night, then to L.A.!

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
You could have told us a long time ago about this ... ;)
Don't get me wrong here...I have very little money as well...just happens that I have even less time as a father of a 2 year old and a wife that is 6 months pregnant.