airbag recall

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Any other folks shaking their head at the airbag recall? I didn't know the a3 (up until 2013 I think) was included until I put in the vin into Audi's system. Doesn't look like their are parts available yet, hence no letter from Audi.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...tsa_ids=16V079&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R
SUMMARY:
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2006 Volkswagen Passat sedans and wagons, 2005-2013 Audi A3, and 2006-2009 Audi A4 Cabriolet vehicles. Upon deployment of the driver's frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.

NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 16V079 Recall Date: February 9, 2016
Manufacturer Recall Number: 69N2

SUMMARY:
Takata stated that the driver frontal airbag inflator could rupture if the vehicle is involved in a crash where the frontal airbags are designed to deploy.

SAFETY RISK:

As reported by Takata: In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.

REMEDY:

Replace driver airbag inflator.

RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
I saw on the news the other day where a young girl was hit in the face by shrapnel from the inflator and it killed her. Not a life threatening crash either. I thought this was mostly a japanese car issue but apparently not

Last edited:

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Really sad about that girl. My boss has an 07 Honda under the recall. They sent him to Enterprise and he got a free rental car. He is keeping it until August until the part is in! I wonder what Audi is doing?

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Really sad about that girl. My boss has an 07 Honda under the recall. They sent him to Enterprise and he got a free rental car. He is keeping it until August until the part is in! I wonder what Audi is doing?
Wow that bill is going to be insane! You should try to get a rental for yourself and let us know how it goes.

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
I agree it will be high. But less than the wrongful death lawsuit.

I wonder when Audi will acknowledge this via mail?

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Not a thing - nothing - nada.

Neither my local Audi dealer nor Audi USA would authorize a loaner.

Don't forget to grade your Service Department as "truly exceptional" the next time you take the survey. Yeah -right!

Maybe "Death in Engineering" should be the new slogan?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The airbag non-recall bothers me way more than dieselgate!
It is the reason I would do a buyback if they don't fix it soon.

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon
Got my letter in the mail today. Basically said car is affected and there are no repair parts available. Nothing else.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
I posted a comment in the Passat forum. My '13 is on the list. no go date yet, dealer says it's waiting on parts.

BK97

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI Premium
I got my letter yesterday.
Takata PSDI-5 Driver Frontal Airbag.
No parts available, they say wait for another letter.