Executive decision...

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I wouldn't discourage you from swapping to a manual. Would definitely be cool and unique and might even increase the value of the car! I know I've heard several say "I would have bought an A3 TDI but I wanted a manual".
Thumbs up. I also must say, the 2 dr TDI in your sig sounds like a sweet ride!!

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
I dewinterized my car today.
Back to summer wheels and no more grille cover. Looks like mid 50's and 60's for at least the next two weeks for us.
Felt good to do the swap.. means we're close to taking out the bike and vette soon :D
And Pete, I'm so sorry for severely hijacking your thread,

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Thumbs up. I also must say, the 2 dr TDI in your sig sounds like a sweet ride!!
It's about to be! It's my daily beater and I have considered repainting it since the roof and hood have started to fade. Well the other day I got sideswiped by a Silverado so it looks like it's going to get resprayed in R32 black magic pearl :D Maybe after that it will be time for a bigger pump and injectors so it can beat the A3 lol

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
So we'll find out all of the buyback or payout details at the end of June. What are people thinking?

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
So we'll find out all of the buyback or payout details at the end of June. What are people thinking?
We've thought about it and we don't know what we would replace it with. So hoping for a 5k check and keep on rolling lol

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
Depending on the offer, I think we will be doing the buyback...if that's what happens to our gen 1 motors. My wife has been begging for a larger vehicle to accommodate our child, dog, and the copious amount of crap that we haul back and forth to the beach virtually every weekend during the summer. Maybe a used q5 or used ford explorer...not sure. Definitely nothing new, I want to break even on the trade even if it means a higher mileage suv. I think our 2012 a3 will be fully paid off in about 6 months. And pray that our 2007 gti keeps on ticking past 100k.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
So its pretty definite that we're walking away with $5K

I'm still not sure if we are required to sell it back to VW or do we have the option to keep it.

Our cars are plagued in the public eye so value has definitely plummeted. I'm thinking the buyback offer might be the only time we might see a fair amount for our cars. So its totally dependent on the offer. I prefer keeping my modded A3, but if the offer is more than fair then I'll let it go.

No idea what I would get next.. maybe a 328D.. I also might take a gander at the new Colorado diesel.

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Timeframe for Buyback

There hasn't been much information released since VW and EPA/CARB came to an "agreement" on April 21. That's because all parties are under a gag order and are legally forbidden to talk about the case. What we do know is that there will be a choice between a fix (assuming an approved one will be available) and a buyback, along with a check for some amount as compensation. $5000 is the number most often mentioned, but there's no official confirmation.
Kenneth Feinberg, the lawyer managing the compensation has said that he believes more than 90% of owners must accept the settlement package for it to be considered successful. The package has also been described as "generous".
The negotiated terms of the settlement are due by the court on June 21, and here is where I've read conflicting versions:
-The terms will be made public on June 21. There will be a public comment period, for perhaps 30 days, and then the terms will be finalized.
or:
-The terms will not be made public and the first we will hear will be through an official notice from Volkswagen/Audi in July. That notice will be the buyback offer.
So its seems that buybacks will not begin until late July, but who really knows?

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
The buzz currently is (in the other forums) that the $5000 or whatever amount of money will only be given upon fixing the car to be compliant. Much of the TDI Forum community very much doubt that VAG will giving us $5000 and allowing us to keep our cars the way they are.

However, for me a buyback would be considered, as others have mentioned, if the deal is good enough. With the options my car has, and the mileage (just 50k this week), I would possibly make a deal for a 15 or 16 Q5 TDI and happily rock that as a commuter and utility vehicle if the monthly payments were similar. The likely hood of that happening though, I think I'd get struck by lightning first. Additionally, all of my mods and money invested will drive away with the A3. Hmm...

If I were to be simply given $5000 with no stipulations of repairs being mandatory... I may consider having the first 6-speed swapped A3 in probably all of North America. Or put that down on what I owe, we'll see. Though, I doubt that will happen either.

If the second option I mentioned is not going to happen from AoA, then I'd probably be more inclined to pursue option 1, of course with parting out as much of the aftermarket parts as possible, and also less likely.

Sigh....

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
i was under the impression the buy back and the law suit for 5k were totally different beasts.

5FDP

TDI
A3
A BMW 535D is sounding pretty good as it would only cost me about $10-15k more than what my Buy-back offer is. Pretty temping as they are nice cars. Wonder if I can push it past 40mpg...?!?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
What cars do I source these parts from? I'd love to start picking stuff from the local junk yard.
Yo house gives us no idea where you live. At least a city and state can be helpful if you'd like more information. :confused:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
What cars do I source these parts from? I'd love to start picking stuff from the local junk yard.
Transmission, rear end and axles from an awd a3. The only thing that leaves to question is bell housing, but I believe there's one out there that work, most likely from a Mk6-7 Golf TDI manual. Also not sure about the rear floorpan on the a3, it may have to be raised to make room for the diff. I know that was the case on the mk4 golf I had a hand in building (r32 drivetrain)

5FDP

TDI
A3
Transmission, rear end and axles from an awd a3. The only thing that leaves to question is bell housing, but I believe there's one out there that work, most likely from a Mk6-7 Golf TDI manual. Also not sure about the rear floorpan on the a3, it may have to be raised to make room for the diff. I know that was the case on the mk4 golf I had a hand in building (r32 drivetrain)
When was the A3 AWD in the states? Would these parts need to be sent from across the pond?

I'm in So.FL

Or is it better to get a TT and do a TDI swap. Then drop that gasser into my TDI and sell it with a 2.0T emblem. Lol

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
When was the A3 AWD in the states? Would these parts need to be sent from across the pond?

I'm in So.FL

Or is it better to get a TT and do a TDI swap. Then drop that gasser into my TDI and sell it with a 2.0T emblem. Lol
A3 Quattro's are all over the place. However nearly all came with dsg. Manual FWD A3's are easy to find too. I have actually never seen a manual Quattro A3 but I'm being told there are a few out there.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
A3s came in 2.0T DSG AWD, and 3.2 VR6 DSG. A3s did not come AWD with a manual trans. Only manual trans A3s were 2.0T 6-speed FWD. AFAIK.

5FDP

TDI
A3
So the trans in the US does not exists.

What would be needed to complete the swap assuming I could get a trans shipped from across the pond?

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf