70,000 miles - waiting for Thursday

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
My 2015 A3 hit 70k miles over the weekend, and as in most of the other reports, there's nothing to report. Car runs fine, better than ever, and the only real issue I've ever had with it had to do with the MMI Navigation Plus with connectivity and even that isn't a show-stopper, like a blown turbo would be. The dealer swapped out the MMI for a new one at around 45k miles and there's been no problem since.

Speaking of this $2600 marvel of modern technology, with all its geewhiz bells and whistles, I've realized it's already obsolete. Been looking at 2016 VW Golf GSWs lately and see that they have a system that interfaces the screen with apps from your smart phone, such as Google Maps, and voilà, bye bye car-based navigation systems. Of course, I am sure a lot of other cars are going to this technology, too, so it may not be news to you.

Which brings me around to Thursday and why I am looking at GSWs. That's the deadline for VW and the EPA to announce a resolution for dieselgate (or not, they've already missed at least one deadline) and we may find out what their going to do about this mess. Guesses from those who write about these things are all over the boards, ranging from tweaking the ad blue dosage to "it's hopeless, buy 'em all back." Given the right combination of incentives, I just might bail.

Waiting for Thursday ...

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
There's a high likelihood that this will not be resolved by 4/21. You have a 1 year old car that has been flawless so far, except for the MMI which has been replaced. At this point you have a very nice car and the luxury of time. No need to rush, unless you just have the irresistible itch to buy a new car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I recently acquired a '99.5 Golf that has a factory Nav system. It's coming out: totally useless. Can't even update the maps.

I've never purchased a car with Nav (up until now, I guess) and never owned a Garmin or similar. Navigated with Rand-McNally until I started using my phone. I've never been a fan, at least not until Waze came along. For avoiding Boston traffic it's a lifesaver.

Not sure anything is going to happen on 21 April. And when it does I doubt many people here will be happy.

ChinaBob

TDI
There's a high likelihood that this will not be resolved by 4/21. You have a 1 year old car that has been flawless so far, except for the MMI which has been replaced. At this point you have a very nice car and the luxury of time. No need to rush, unless you just have the irresistible itch to buy a new car.

Agree on all counts, just doing a bit of "what-iffing." If anything does happen on Thursday, it's likely to be just the opening round of the next phase of the dieselgate drama. It could go on for years.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Agree on all counts, just doing a bit of "what-iffing." If anything does happen on Thursday, it's likely to be just the opening round of the next phase of the dieselgate drama. It could go on for years.

I doubt that.. they want this behind them as soon as possible. The longer they drag it out the more customers they will lose.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
I doubt that.. they want this behind them as soon as possible. The longer they drag it out the more customers they will lose.
I wish I shared your optimism. My opinion is that VAGs present lack of care and communication with owners will continue. I'm not irked by that, I understand corporate culture. I will continue to motor on and respectfully decline any fix, if available, that is offered.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I am not holding my breath. Logic would say that they want this behind them ASAP. I honestly think they don't have a solution ...I mean six months later and still no answers...I think they don't have a clue....the longer thetis goes on the more apparent it is.

Like many others I am just going to drive the car..yes I'm upset but I can't control what VW or the US govt do so the hell with worrying about it or letting it bother me.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm thinking you don't know any more than when you started this thread, especially since you have a '15 which is reported to only require a reflash to be compliant. They may recall the car, reflash it, and tell you to have a nice day. I would imagine payouts, if there are any, will be lowest for the '15s.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Any info as to whether VW is given permission to resume selling 2015 and 2016 TDI's?

ChinaBob

TDI
I'm thinking you don't know any more than when you started this thread, especially since you have a '15 which is reported to only require a reflash to be compliant. They may recall the car, reflash it, and tell you to have a nice day. I would imagine payouts, if there are any, will be lowest for the '15s.
One shoe dropped today, sort of. It looks like we're going to be offered a buy back or a fix plus "substantial compensation," whatever that means, and have two years to decide. Many questions to be answered yet, such as will the "substantial compensation" be the same for all affected cars ($5000 has been bandied about a lot) or will it be pro-rated by model and model year, etc., and if so, in what way?

On to the next deadline, June 21 ...

ChinaBob

TDI
got a link about this new deadline by chance? havent heard of this one yet.
It's in several articles. This one is from the New York Times:

But a settlement announced in federal court in San Francisco left open numerous legal and financial issues stemming from the carmaker’s admission that it rigged diesel vehicles to cheat on pollution tests.

Lawyers in the case are still negotiating the fines that Volkswagen must pay, as well as the compensation that owners will receive. Judge Charles R. Breyer set June 21 as the deadline for Volkswagen to settle those questions with the federal government as well as lawyers for vehicle owners.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/b...edCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
It's in several articles. This one is from the New York Times:

But a settlement announced in federal court in San Francisco left open numerous legal and financial issues stemming from the carmaker’s admission that it rigged diesel vehicles to cheat on pollution tests.

Lawyers in the case are still negotiating the fines that Volkswagen must pay, as well as the compensation that owners will receive. Judge Charles R. Breyer set June 21 as the deadline for Volkswagen to settle those questions with the federal government as well as lawyers for vehicle owners.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/b...edCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article
thanks!

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
This one is my first choice of available cars in Ontario as it gets the $8500 grant for green cars lol
Which you will welcome on a car the lists for maybe $50,000 Canadian, right?
Optioned up, of course. That's how they come in the US at mid $40k's.
I hope I can keep my A3 until the e-tron starts showing up off-lease or used...:eek: