Missing Aux port in center console

spearoid

TDI
2012 Passat
I bought a 2012 Passat SE a couple months ago and am still learning this car and loving it.

in the center console where the MDI connection and 12v socket are...there is a square hole where something once was. Googling this I found a picture that showed a 3.5 jack beside the 12v socket.

I disassembled the console (but not entirely) and found nothing in there....I had hoped the snap-in piece had fallen through.

My question are these....did all the Passats come with this jack? Is it possible I just had a blank cover there that has been lost? If I was able to find the missing jack, how did it connect back to the head unit? through the MDI harness? Was it a direct wire run back to the HU?

Thanks for any help!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I don't think our '12 did (we only used BT to stream music anyways), I believe the aux was wired to the HU.

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
Mine had a blank cover that I removed to install a USB port for my after market radio. If I sell my car, there will be an empty hole there, so I suspect this may have happened in your car.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
My '12 SE (no nav) has only the 12v and 3.5mm AUX sockets - no MDI. The AUX appears to run directly back the the HU in my car. Came from the factory that way. Hope this helps.

spearoid

TDI
2012 Passat
That's interesting... Sounds like many combinations were possible then. I'm guessing it's tied to the head unit the car came with. Mine had the RNS315.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I think if the car shipped with the MDI it doesn't have the 3.5mm jack. I'll have to check the harness I grabbed from a '12 SEL to confirm this.

-J

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I think if the car shipped with the MDI it doesn't have the 3.5mm jack
That's what I was thinking as well, but I have no way to verify anymore..

My way of thinking is why would vw install an aux port so you could use a $2.99 aux cord instead of a $49.99 MDI cable?

Don Rentsch

TDI
2013, Passat
I don't think our '12 did (we only used BT to stream music anyways), I believe the aux was wired to the HU.
I have a 2013 TDI, just purchased a dongle for the plug in the center console. it connects for music, but doesn't charge the phone., WTH. It seems the same as Bluetooth. does it do anything else besides audio connection?