2001 VW Golf GLS TDI, Modded Daily, 423K miles 80% highway driving for sale $2,500

LuvcreoleTDI

TDI
2001 VW Golf TDI
I have a 2001 VW Golf GLS TDI that I purchased in 2010 with 122K miles on the clock. It was used as my sole work car as a courier for the last 4 1/2 years, running an average of 250 miles a day, 5 days a week. It's average mpg with a 5 speed manual was 53 mpg when stock on the highway, mid 40's in stop and go traffic. Over the last 300K miles, I've had extensive servicing done (you do that when your car puts food on your table) and have a stack of service reciepts to prove it. The car runs strong, and has been modded thanks to the extensive info I've gained on this site. They are: (With the total miles done to date since the mod following)

DLC1019 nozzles w/Stage 2 injectors rebuilt from Kerma --- 45K
Ported head (4 angle) w/ Colt Cam Stg 2 from Kerma --- 180K
VW DC Stage 1 clutch with 21lb single mass flywheel --- 110K
2" piping from intercooler to intake (eliminating the pancake) --- 100K (est)

Steve Petty Motorsports Eurojet style SMIC w/ 3 bar MAP sensor --- 55K

Custom VNT 1856 hybrid turbo by Cherry Turbos in Canada (not a Street Toys unit!!!), using Euro VNT 1749VB exhaust/manifold, GT18 turbine @ 41.5mm ind/ 40.0mm exd. Compressor is a GT2256 wheel, inside a Perkins GT20 housing. (Perkins is an industrial turbo that i was told was slightly smaller than a normal GT20 compressor housing. The frame says it has an A/R ratio of 51, and the compressor outlet is exactly 2" OD).--- 55K

Custom 2.25" - 2.5" downpipe with high flow cat.--- 30K

Giles (You all know who he is:D) super injection pump, rebuilt 11mm from an auto Jetta TDI. Has 10mm flow controller installed and timing mechanism modded for up to 6000 rpm max. Upgraded metal return check valve (instead of restrictive stock plastic one) --- 55K

Rocketchip 3+ tune, 19.5 psi max, smoke levels at WOT suggest a little extra boost would be optimum. Around 20.5 psi should do it. Gives 51 mpg at 70 mph cruise on a decent day. Kept the boost under 20 psi due to the stock head bolts and no EGT/turbo gauge. (Planned on upgrading those, but life got in the way... more on that later. Since this was my daily and my living, I kept things conservative... including my right foot action.)--- 55K

Catchcan from Moroso. Works okay, but I think better setups can be had. Space is tight in a MK4 engine bay for one of these. --- 20K

Maintenance was tight, with oil changes every 10K using Mobil One Synthetic and at times, Motul. The Mobil was 5w-40 rated, while the Motul was 15w-40. Mobil made it in far more often then not. Engine will consume at best one quart every 3000 miles, and this includes oil loss due to CCV. (Why the catch can was installed as CCV wasn't happy with all the turbo boost)

Last Timing Belt change was 80K miles ago.

Current needs are: EGR valve/cooler replacement (Oil leaks from that area, can see from behind the engine. Also, soot in coolant indicates this is most likely culprit, as oil has no coolant in it, and coolant system bottle is still under vacuum when car is hot. Hoses are not hard and pressurized. However, hose to engine block thermostat is cold even when car is warm, so new themostat is in order here.) The last head gasket was done when the head was done by Kerma 180K miles ago. You can determine if you want to do it at this point with the miles on it.

Battery is strong enough to start the car so long as the car is used often. It's the original from VW, so 423K miles on it... not unreasonable to get a new one.

Interior of car can use a good cleaning. Seems a bit sooty in the cloth seats and door panels/overhead. It was this way when I bought it. Otherwise, the interior is not too bad, the weak points are the plastic parts which have broken (driver's door handle) and peeled (Center console and other door handles) Hey, it's nearly half a million miles of use.... what do you expect?

Needs a new windshield for sure. It's a veteran of the highway battles fought over all those miles ;)

I'm asking $2500 for the car. Less than the cost of the turbo system and the Giles pump. Cash or Cashier's check takes it. I have a 1992 Mercedes 300D (bigger car, older tech) that I need to care for and as much as I want to finish the VW... i want it to go to a good home and see what becomes of it. It's already on it's way as you can see for yourself. Good project vehicle!

I will be back to add a few more details, and have pics if anyone is interested..:)

Last edited:

LuvcreoleTDI

TDI
2001 VW Golf TDI
Sold!

Sold as of 3/26/2015. You will be missed... may your new owner see the half million mark and beyond, smiling all the way ;)