Sleeping in an A4 Golf?

electrobent

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MK IV Golf GLS
I played with taking the 2/3 side of the rear-seat out. The bottom came out easily while the back was more of a hassle because both sides have to be unclipped to get either side out. There is a hook that slips around a rod on each outer side. These can be seen once the seat back is folded forward. The hooks have little notches that let you push them out of the way. The center seat belt is a problem though as it tethers the seat back to the floor with the seat belt.

Anyway I took the 2/3 seat bottom out, disconnected the seat back and put it in the 1/3 seat that I put back in, removed the head rest from the front passenger seat, jacked the seat all the way up and reclined the seat back as far as it could go. I then took the 2/3 back seat bottom, turned it 90 degrees and put it on top of the front seat bottom.

I could have been 8 feet tall and still able to lie down there. It was a little narrow, but if I had my feet all the way to the tail gate, the bumps were in the right places and it was remarkably comfortable. (I am over 6 foot so a shorter person's feet would not go all the way to the gate.)

I am thinking that this would be a good use for one of those really narrow one person air mattresses that are better pool toys than beds.

When I was putting it back together I noticed long horizontal holes in the 2/3 back seat bottom cushion. They looked as if two head rests could be attached to the back of the bottom cushion when it is tilted up or removed.

This has me wondering if there is some better seat re-arrangement than the one I came up with.

Anybody ever sleep in one of these other than by just reclining a front seat?

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Not owning an A4 golf I really don't have any suggestions for you, but I will say that things like this are why I like owning station wagons. :D

CNDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
i kept the bottom in my jetta and it was a nice taper and I slept alright id be able to do that for about a week before my back goes ;)

Aidan

Veteran Member
guarantee thats nots as bad as my old mk3 golf van, 3 door. flat solid floor instead of rear seats/boot, 1/2 metre high steel bulkhead (not foldable) behind front seats and had to get in via driver's door!