2.0 TDI - BKD Build thread / suggestions / advices

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
Hello guys,

For the past 4 years i have an Audi A3 2.0TDi - BKG engine with the DSG gear box - HLE, the car is from 2005 and recently i have decided to tune the engine a little bit.

1st. stage - Done
Consists of a remap done by a local tuner from Romania - Dimsport, the power was increased to around 170bhp and the torque to 370-380NM

2nd. stage - Work in progress
I want to go upper with the specs of the torque and bhp of the engine, so i've decided to swap the turbo, the original turbo was swapped with a hybrid one and the ecu has been reprogrammed accordingly, but unfortunately after 10000km the turbo popped when i was doing around 170km/h on the highway.
To be honest i'm sick and tired of the hybrids so i want to try something new, something that there is a lot more reliable because this car is used on a daily basis.
The final goal it will be to have around - 220 -> 240bhp, to have a little as close to no lag and to be very reliable. Taking in consideration these factors i've looked over these turbos:
- GTB2260VK
- the turbo from 2.0 TDI BMN - 170bhp, i don't know the part number
- GTB1756vk or GT1756vk, also i don't know for sure the part number

Please advise me what turbo should i choose and what other mods i should do to this car in order to be fit for that power.

Many thanks,
ANdi

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
Could you please tell me why do you thing that Gtb2056v is a better option? I would like to knog if it's less laggier than GTB2260VK and how many hps can it be gained safe from this turbo.
Also i must forgot to tell you guys that i don't want a smokie car :)

Thanks

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
gtb2056vk is defenetly less laggier then 2260vk as it haves smaller compressors, it haves enought flow to reach 260-270 bhp .

devonmikeyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 2.0 PD140 Quattro S-Line
Do you know the max torque and bhp rating of your DGS box is as that would the main restriction before thinking about what turbo to fit.

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Thats true, DSG has restriction in it, first in software it has torque limiter and sooner or later in hardware also with slipping clutch caused by the max. pressure of the high pressure oilpump which generates the clamping force of clutch. Even with complete closed bypass of oilpump (which is bad for the pump in longtime use...) the clutch beginns to slip at about 420-430Nm IIRC.

Regards, Alex

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
majesty78 said:
Thats true, DSG has restriction in it, first in software it has torque limiter and sooner or later in hardware also with slipping clutch caused by the max. pressure of the high pressure oilpump which generates the clamping force of clutch. Even with complete closed bypass of oilpump (which is bad for the pump in longtime use...) the clutch beginns to slip at about 420-430Nm IIRC.

Regards, Alex
Thanks for the info, i was planing to achieve 400-420max torque so that is the safest max torque that can be achived with the dsg hearbox with no mod to the dsg.

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
majesty78 said:
Please Note.....
I see yor point but in this case what is the maximum safest toruqe that the dsg can handle without any hardware mod, i'm going to reflash the ecu of the dsg with a map from Revotechnik

bluey_

TDI
Audi A3 8P 2.0TDI 16v BKD
You know that BKD engine will produce 430Nm without turbo upgrade.Only software.
After upgrade you will go close to 500Nm.
And you will need a really good tuner to make a map with torque limit that low.
DSG is tricky on dyno too :)

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
bluey i must tell you you are right that with a stock map the bkd engine can produce 430NM but i want to have 430nm from 2000 to 4500, and in this case i'm afraid that with the stock turbo is not possible.
So let's get back on the track, do you think that gtb2056vk is a better option for 220-240bhp? I'm refering here to the lag and durability.

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
OK so with the help im570rm i came up to these two turbo:
GTB2056VK vs GTB1756VK

As i understood both can do 230hp and aqround 420NM.

If i'm not wrong GTB2056 was installed on the Alfa 2.4JTD 210hp?

Who has a thought please share it.

TribesMan

TDI
AR JTD :)
Yes GTB2056V is installed on a alfa 2.4 210HP, but it is very hard to find even a picture of that turbo... those cars are too rare.
I searched all over the web in past few weeks but noone seems to have any pictures of that turbo.

If you get them I would be very happy if you can share them with me ;)

There are other options for GTB2056... Volvo unit, which is watercooled, audi unit from Q7 (very similar on the outside to the GTB1756vk) and also unit from mercedes 320CDI but that one is just imposible due to strange shape of the turbo housing.

TribesMan

TDI
AR JTD :)
Thanks slow-moe.

But is this the turbo from the older version (200BHP) of 2.4 engine? Borg Warner BV50? Because it looks 100% the same...

Last edited:

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
OK, but this doesn't answer my question what should i choose GTB1756vk or GTB2056VK in order to have 220-230bhp a maximum torque of 410NM and as close as possible to no lag.

slow-moe

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Originally Posted by TribesMan
But is this the turbo from the older version (200BHP) of 2.4 engine? Borg Warner BV50? Because it looks 100% the same...
No, it's the garrett GTB20, you can see it on the vac actuator. It looks the same to BV, because there were no major changes to the engine.

Orinally Posted by abpostelnicu
OK, but this doesn't answer my question what should i choose GTB1756vk or GTB2056VK in order to have 220-230bhp a maximum torque of 410NM and as close as possible to no lag.
GTB17 is limited due to turbine flow. If you have a good tune and watch out for high EGT (+EMP) you can take it.
If you want a bulletproof turbo and never mind some lag, GTB20 is the way to go.

bluey_

TDI
Audi A3 8P 2.0TDI 16v BKD
With a turbo from *** and a good tune you can get to almost 280hp and 560Nm.Try to find out if your dsg can handle that much torque.
An remember what i told you before you buy that hybrid.Stay away from hybrids made in the toilet on some little asian knees. :D

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
@bluey: i supose you are right about the hybrids, except they are not made in toilets or on an asian's keen, this turbo was made in UK by Turbo Dynamics the turbo was bought personally from them..so really now i'm starting to thing that they don't do quailty turbos.

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
Thanks guys, it seems that i will choose GT1749VC, one more question can it be done a soft for this turbo cat can take the BKD to 210bhp smokeless?

abpostelnicu

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0/ 3.0 TDi
Well i've been absent for a while but now i'm back i plant to completely rebuild the engine at the beginning April. Still i have many questions what is the effective difference between the GT1749vc turbo and GTB1756vk.

Best regards,
ANdi

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
big difference between 1756vk and 1749vc/vm at least in size =)