Help! TDI lost power with white smoke

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Does anyone know about how many turns of a ratchet on the crank moves the flywheel around one time?

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
If you can't find a mechanic I am sure there are enough easy-chair mechanics on here and enough videos on youtube to walk you through it. :D

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Does anyone know about how many turns of a ratchet on the crank moves the flywheel around one time?
The answer is one.
Did you ever look underneath for big pipes loose/leaky? I've read a lot threads with the smoke and power loss that turned out to be a big pipe underneath.
Apologies if this is not germane, I read like a kindergartner.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
If you can't find a mechanic I am sure there are enough easy-chair mechanics on here and enough videos on youtube to walk you through it. :D

To do a minimal belt change or adjustment, other than basic tools, you need at least the 12 point socket and a 3/8 drive 6mm hex bit to remove the accessory belt pulley on the crank, and a pair of bent tip snap ring pliers of sufficient size to use to adjust the belt tensioner pulley, or you can get all the tools for the job at Metalnerd(dot com).

Last edited:

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
To replace the belt you would need to lift the motor off and remove the motor mount.

Last edited:

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Welp, I have some more information. I decided to re-check the timing today and I am pretty sure the TDC mark is lining up with the IP timing hole.

However, I took it for a short drive and noticed a trail of oil. There is oil coming out of the tail pipe.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Seems you've likely busted the turbocharger. Unlikely is oil coming thru combustion, normally that gets burnt.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
If there is a build up of pressure in the crankcase, maybe due to a plugging of the crankcase ventilation system or excessive ring blow by, or both, it could damage the turbo seals causing them to leak.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Turbo rebuild for a shop is not hard. Got my turbo core from gpopshop (dot) com. Beware of cheap cores or cartridges. Cartridges are referred to as CHRA's.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I might say a turbo rebuild at a shop would be rare. You can sometimes get away with just replacing the core/cartridge, from what I've read here.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
I might say a turbo rebuild at a shop would be rare. You can sometimes get away with just replacing the core/cartridge, from what I've read here.

That's what I meant, just replace the core, not try to rebuild the core.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Haven't fired it off yet, it has been a long DIY project.

Bought this car for $850, had less than 70K miles, previous owner had knocked a hole in the oil pan, she kept driving until a main bearing had spun ruining the block. This has been a long total rebuild waiting on machine shops, parts and pieces. :(

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Fair enough, but the crank is the same size :p
Paint a mark on the pulley so you know how much you turned it.
I use White Out with the tiny brush in the cap. :)
Same on the flywheel.

I mark the 0 a bit and put a line about 1/2 inch before the 0 and 3 dots after it.
(or so)
Gives me an idea how close the 0 is.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I delivered the car to a TDI mechanic in San Antonio today. Based on the symptoms, the running diagnosis is the turbo went kaput. I hope that's all!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'm glad there's other people out there like me who would absolutely trailer a car that far to get it fixed. In my opinion these cars are absolutely worth fixing.