Anyone Do A Nav. Update

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
I just got a Sportwagen that has navigation that's obviously outdated. I see it's available at $124 from VW but are there other ideas or sources?

Last edited:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
The Nav/Voice control is so incredibly bad I would never pay to update it as it’s utterly useless. I just saw that this was announced at CES and could be perfect for our cars, should give them actually useful voice controls and nav. It basically hooks to your car and phone simultaneously via Bluetooth and mediates in the middle with google assistant. I’m going to get one for sure and try it out.

https://goroav.com/pages/bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I've been trying to figure this out for the past year. I don't think there is an update for our system. I haven't been able to find anyone on MK7 forums who have successfully updated their maps. Most of the conversation is about MIB2 and some people who have our MIB1 but don't have the same SDCard code (mine is 5G0 919 866 S) and some who even bought the update from VW but it wasn't compatible.

Some people bought their cars new from VW after the stop sale lifted, and they were able to negotiate for the cost of the SDCard from VW but I think they all pocketed the money and didn't actually order the card. At least, I haven't seen anyone report back with what they have or got to work.

What is the code that you're seeing for sale?
Here is what I (think) I have figured out:
The 5G0 is the MIB1
S is the map version
There's a parenthetical (V3) on it and there's an AT (the others are AS), whatever that means.

Long term plans might include a couple grand to change it to a factory MIB2 (with Apple Carplay/Android Auto) or must less expensive aftermarket head unit with CarPlay/AA. The technology and tools exist to just slap a huge iPad in there, to be honest, but you'll need someone with the knowhow and bored enough to fab it in.

One caveat I found while doing all this digging was that the updates generally just have some streets updated and not even likely to be the area you live in so just a big huge meh.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Seeing the MIB1 was a what a one year system (in the USA)? I don't think VW is investing too much into updates.

Also map updates usually run 100-200 from VWoA, way to much IMO.