VCDS on Tablet?

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Should work, VCDS in my experience isn’t very touch screen friendly though, lots of small hit boxes in drop downs and stuff so it might be a little tedious without a mouse. If you have their hex-net interface you can use it from an iPhone/iPad. Or you could look at ODBEleven if you use android, it only runs on android phones/tablets, allegedly an iPhone/iPad app is coming around Q2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Does that tablet have a full size USB-A connector? I do not like the micro-USB connectors on most tablets. They will work with an OTG adapter, but they are somewhat fragile. I suggest finding a tablet with a full size USB connector for your VCDS cable to plug into.
Also a detachable keyboard is useful for the reason stated above.

My personal choice is an RCA Cambio 10.1. It runs win 10, it has a detachable keyboard, and it has a full size USB connector (on the tablet, not on the keyboard part). It also has another big advantage, it is cheap. I got mine from Walmart.com for $89.95. You should be able to find one for $100 or less.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. If you have a HEX-NET interface with wi-fi, you don't need to be concerned about the full size USB connector. {edit} I just noticed that the tablet you linked to does have a full size USB connector.

Last edited:

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I'm thinking of buying obdeleven and buying a android tablet for about $40

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Having done the same thing, let me tell you, the 32GB eMMC ("hard drive") is a major downfall of this type of unit.
(Not to mention the screen size and touch screen as the primary input method.)

Back to the 32GB SSD: It's not that VCDS takes a lot of hard drive space, but rather, that Windows, (with nothing more than VCDS and Chrome installed) takes up 20+GB of storage.

And then, once Windows starts doing its updates, and keeping ALL the backup files (seriously - WHY?!) so you can ostensibly roll back to a previous version, the 32GB gets filled up pretty quickly. Even with "storage sense" or whatever turned on to supposedly free up space automatically, and with a microSD card acting as a shared C:\ drive (kinda, but not really) it's a royal PITA to live with.

I'd never buy a Windows machine with only 32GB again.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Having done the same thing, let me tell you, the 32GB eMMC ("hard drive") is a major downfall of this type of unit.
(Not to mention the screen size and touch screen as the primary input method.)

Back to the 32GB SSD: It's not that VCDS takes a lot of hard drive space, but rather, that Windows, (with nothing more than VCDS and Chrome installed) takes up 20+GB of storage.

And then, once Windows starts doing its updates, and keeping ALL the backup files (seriously - WHY?!) so you can ostensibly roll back to a previous version, the 32GB gets filled up pretty quickly. Even with "storage sense" or whatever turned on to supposedly free up space automatically, and with a microSD card acting as a shared C:\ drive (kinda, but not really) it's a royal PITA to live with.

Thanks for your input and I am glad that I dragged my feet on this and didn't pull the trigger yet.

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
What about something like a Chromebook?

I am currently using an ancient HP laptop that honestly takes longer to boot than it does to do any VCDS mods I need, plus it no longer holds any charge so it needs to be plugged in to operate. I would love to dump it in favor for a super portable Chromebook or tablet as well.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

If you are looking for a general purpose computer, I agree completely. However, if you are just looking for a cheap computer ONLY for VCDS, this is not a big issue if you know what you are doing. Windows 10 does have an option to manually free up disk space and one of the options you can choose is "Delete old versions of Windows". I recently did this and freed up over 7 gigs of disk space. The only software installed on this computer is Windows, VCDS, FireFox, and VLC. I have never had any issues with disk space.

If you are more brave, you can create a bootable recovery disk and then delete the recovery partition and create even more disk space.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What about something like a Chromebook?

Do you know how to get a Chromebook to run Windows? VCDS requires Windows. However a Chromebook would work with a HEX-NET interface and the built-in VCDS Mobile.

Have Fun!

Don

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
If you are looking for a general purpose computer, I agree completely. However, if you are just looking for a cheap computer ONLY for VCDS, this is not a big issue if you know what you are doing. Windows 10 does have an option to manually free up disk space and one of the options you can choose is "Delete old versions of Windows". I recently did this and freed up over 7 gigs of disk space. The only software installed on this computer is Windows, VCDS, FireFox, and VLC. I have never had any issues with disk space.

If you are more brave, you can create a bootable recovery disk and then delete the recovery partition and create even more disk space.

Don

Just to reinforce the warning about problems when running a 32GB machine, I've been listening to my neighbor complain about the laptop that he bought to use as a cheap school laptop.

It's one of the netbook versions with 32GB of storage, and currently nothing but Windows installed on it.

It keeps complaining about how far behind it is for windows updates, but if he tries to install any of the updates, it runs out of room on the hard drive, and doesn't have any space to do the installation. Again, this is just Windows, after a couple of years of use and updates.

All he uses it for currently is as a streaming player for YouTube music videos, and even in this capacity it is a bit limited.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Those issues are user-caused and easily addressed within Windows, including a slim version specifically for netbooks. A lot of these older netbooks might not even be running Windows 10 and they definitely have a ton of junk on them after years of personal use.

I have a windows VM that is 40gb on my hard drive and it's been within that size for nearly 5 years. I use it for a variety of tasks, including VCDS. I don't have to do anything special to keep it in that size allotment and have never had to worry about it being up to date.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Don
Does your Windows machine only have 32GB of storage? Because trust me, with the base installation being close to 20GB, some updates being 5+GB of download (if you don't use the machine for a while, pretty easy to push well past that), plus the machine wanting / needing overhead to give itself a fallback if the install fails...32GB doesn't get it done.

And then the RAM in these is typically limited as well, meaning that it'll create an on-disk swap file (hiberfil.sys) that takes up even more SSD space (and yes, I know you can delete / disable yada yada)...so instead of causing yourself pain, just look for something that has at least 64GB of storage.