Center Cap Fear

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I pulled the center caps off of Dad's car (17") so I could remove the bolts and mount the winter tread. I don't trust putting that hook in the little hole and pulling the cap off.

Anybody know how to make this "smoother" the next time? I was thinking of lubricating the cap and the wheel with white grease or silicone.

Tnx

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
if you want to lose them thats a great idea.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've had luck with keeping them dry and using the puller tool in the past 5-6 years. If I were to use something I'd use something more viscous than white lithium/silicon grease, more like thick bearing grease as it won't weap and junk up the wheels.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I've had luck with keeping them dry and using the puller tool in the past 5-6 years. If I were to use something I'd use something more viscous than white lithium/silicon grease, more like thick bearing grease as it won't weap and junk up the wheels.
Good points! When I took them off I used a piece of wood to help the puller and spread the force. It was a little dusty and gritty in there. We cleaned them so maybe in the spring they will go on and off better. Maybe I will just put a coat of polyurethane wax in the area which should help to repel moisture also.