Suppressing dash lighting

rabbit15

TDI
2015 Golf SE "Rabbit", 2015 SportWagen S "Bunny"
Went to the drive-in last night, could not turn off multi-function display lighting and idiot lights on the dashboard. Had to leave the key in the "on" position as drive-in broadcasts over FM radio. The only thing I could do was turn the dash lighting down as far as possible and throw a towel over the dashboard and shift console (that was lit as well). Any ideas on how to do this? Car is 15 Golf SE with key start.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Went to the drive-in last night, could not turn off multi-function display lighting and idiot lights on the dashboard. Had to leave the key in the "on" position as drive-in broadcasts over FM radio. The only thing I could do was turn the dash lighting down as far as possible and throw a towel over the dashboard and shift console (that was lit as well). Any ideas on how to do this? Car is 15 Golf SE with key start.
You DO NOT need the ignition on to have the radio on.
Shut your car off and then push on the volume control button to turn on the radio ! It's in your manual !

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Now if only someone can find a way to have the radio stay on (bluetooth included) when turning off the engine, so annoying!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Now if only someone can find a way to have the radio stay on (bluetooth included) when turning off the engine, so annoying!
I'm pretty sure that that could be done with a VCDS on a 2012 and up.
An educated guess on my part.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
If you find it, post for all to see! I've done a ton of changes in VCDS on my Golf but that is one that I cannot find in the coding or adaptation menus of that unit. Not to mention the Bluetooth module is powered by the ignition rather than the head unit, so music and phone calls are cut off from the vehicle's speakers when shutting down.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rabbit15

TDI
2015 Golf SE "Rabbit", 2015 SportWagen S "Bunny"
You DO NOT need the ignition on to have the radio on.
Shut your car off and then push on the volume control button to turn on the radio ! It's in your manual !
Chalk it up to another man who doesn't read the instruction manual. Well, I didn't read THAT part of it, anyway. I was looking in the ignition key section of the manual, as I figured there had to be some sort of accessory position. That's probably an indication of my age. Thanks for passing along the info!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Alltrack is like that, even if the passangers door opens radio will stay on, only until the drivers door is opened will the radio shut off.

Also the radio with ignition off only stays on for 30 min, I believe this too can be extended.